Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch problem

Options
  • 04-12-2019 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick question about what to do next.

My kids Switch recently started overheating while in the dock (the standard dock that came with it) and shutting down.

About a week later the Joy Con’s stopped working, only one of them will turn on but it shows the battery as depleted. They both won’t charge.

The Switch was bought around this time last year but I can’t find the receipt at the moment...

What’s my best course of action if I can’t find the receipt?

Is it worth fixing and getting new Joy Con’s or am I better to cut my loses and buy a new console altogether?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure about the answer to your fix/replacement, but was the dock well ventilated?
    Make sure it's not in a cabinet or somewhere else with poor air circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Mr E wrote: »
    Not sure about the answer to your fix/replacement, but was the dock well ventilated?
    Make sure it's not in a cabinet or somewhere else with poor air circulation.

No, it was standing on the kitchen counter, connected to a projector through HDMI. We’ve had it like that multiple times and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Does the Switch itself charge when connected to the dock? If it does then there might have been a surge when it overheated and damaged the connectors that sends power to the Joycons. You could also buy a cheap enough Joycon charger (like https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6836577/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CNintendo+Switch%7C50000328/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000328%7CNintendo+Switch+accessories%7C50000330.html )to at least get them charged, if that doesnt work then maybe it surged and damaged the Joycons. Does the Switch also charge while plugged in away from the dock (power connector straight into the system) as a surge might have damaged the dock either and its not sending power right.

Do you know anyone who owns a Switch you could test your system on their dock or connect your Joycons to try eliminate where the fault lies? Or if they have a charging grip or such you can test the Joycons on.

As for a receipt, where did you buy it? They might have sent a digital one or at least might have records of the purchase tied to a debit/credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you got it in Gamestop (and have an account with them), all their receipts are online if I recall correctly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Get on to Nintendo it sounds like a fault with the product and they should fix or replace it.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    If you got it in Gamestop (and have an account with them), all their receipts are online if I recall correctly...

No, Smyths.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Does the Switch itself charge when connected to the dock? If it does then there might have been a surge when it overheated and damaged the connectors that sends power to the Joycons. You could also buy a cheap enough Joycon charger (like https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6836577/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CNintendo+Switch%7C50000328/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000328%7CNintendo+Switch+accessories%7C50000330.html )to at least get them charged, if that doesnt work then maybe it surged and damaged the Joycons. Does the Switch also charge while plugged in away from the dock (power connector straight into the system) as a surge might have damaged the dock either and its not sending power right.

Do you know anyone who owns a Switch you could test your system on their dock or connect your Joycons to try eliminate where the fault lies? Or if they have a charging grip or such you can test the Joycons on.

As for a receipt, where did you buy it? They might have sent a digital one or at least might have records of the purchase tied to a debit/credit card.

The Switch charges outside of the dock alright, I haven't tried it in the dock though.

I bought it in Smyths, I don't think they keep a copy of the receipts online?

I checked my email and couldn't find it.
    Thanks

Advertisement