Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real problem with Housing in Ireland

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

skinny90 wrote: »
    I say this as I am currently renting in Galway.
    I have to commute from oranmore which is fine. However if the LL decides to sell which could happen im always keeping an eye open on what’s available...
    Currently I pay 950 a month for a 2 bed.
    If I search for places at a max of 1200 both in the city and. Surrounding areas totals to around 8 options most of which are basement/garage studios and those which are not you wouldn’t dare step a foot in never mind living in it.
    Now if I check air bnb and look at the amount stock in galway and surrounding areas I have hundreds of viable options

Now I’m not ranting directly at Airbnb...it’s the failings of our government to react to dealing with this disruption. Be it a tarriff or an added tax something that would make an owner weigh things up and not make it so straightforward to just go down the air bnb route
    To say that simply adding thousands of houses will solve the issue is as backwards as they come
    like dublin, transport and traffic is third world! they actually need masses of high density housing in central areas and near high quality transport links...

Markcheese wrote: »
    What is it that makes the cost per housing unit built so high ,?
    Currently site value seems dear but not ridiculous .
    the vat is a large component , water and sewerage ain't low , is part 5 still a thing ? ( Although realistically thats affects how much developer pays for the site ... )
    Building regs are laxer here than lots of other European countries (well the enforcement anyway )

construction related taxes and land, make up a lot of it...

in dublin, there has been talk of and it recently came up again, moving the port. the land is worth billions and could provide housing for hundreds of thousands, they dont even need to drive. You could provide literally only car sharing and perhaps some visitor parking... They can walk or cycle to work etc,schools everything would be on their doorstep...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The real problem with housing in Ireland is one listed building in Dublin...
    Jesus wept ! Just take the land hoarders out of their beds and stick them in a gulag.

The real problem with housing in Ireland is one listed building in Dublin...
    Jesus wept ! Just take the land hoarders out of their beds and stick them in a gulag.

OR just tax the land ! It’s government idiocy to blame for this farce.

Advertisement