Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul McGrath...

• 04-12-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

... turns 60 years old today. Had to start an appreciation thread.

My favourite Irish international player of all time. Absolute legend. Was a 12 year old kid when he put on the performance of a lifetime against Italy in the Giant's Stadium, what a performance for a guy who was 34 with knees hanging together. Will never forget that game and that performance.

If you haven't read his autobiography, I would strongly suggest. Like everyone, he's not perfect, but glad that he is doing well these days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Met him once outside landsdowne road and he was a gent. Agreed, he’s probably the most likable Irish footballer and arguably the most gifted ever.

Got to admit I got a shock when i saw the thread title I thought this was an RIP thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

Absolute legend of the game,
    I'd like to think if he was 18/19 now he would get the help and support he'd have needed. There was a massive drinking culture back in his day and turning up to training (and even games) hungover wasn't unheard of.
    The guy had the ability that some top class centre Half's of today could only dream about.

My dad met him a few times and said he was the nicest, most humble footballer he's ever met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

love him - national treasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe change the title to appreciation thread when I first saw it I thought he had died :(

The greatest player of his generation and my favorite Irish player of my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Comes across as such a likable guy and seems genuinely bemused that people take such an interest in him.

I recently watched a repeat of him on Tommy Tiernan and it really came across just how reluctant, while at the same time necessary, he is to put him out there on camera or in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

His move from midfield to centre back was majestic.

He was imperious, on a par with Maldini with a far better range of passing IMO.

The knees were always a worry, but Christ every time he pulled on the green or a performance and leadership was needed he coaxed it out of his banjaxed knees.

The awareness and the need to beat him twice!
    If you passed him he didn't chase the ball, he he reset the line and put himself back between the ball and the goal again.

Honestly think he is the best Irish player I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

He really had Baggio in his pocket that day, this ferocious Italian magician with his pony tail, considered one of the best in the world at the time, and Paul McGrath made it look all so easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He's a legend. A term far too over used nowadays but very apt for him.
    His autobiography is fantastic, doesn't hold back, I'm delighted he's (somewhat) at peace now with himself. As he said himself he has his good days and bad days.

On a sidenote, I had a real dislike for Alex Ferguson until I read McGrath's book, Ferguson comes across very well. Covers why he booted McGrath out of Old Trafford, honestly and without patronisation. The foreword is great too, mentions how United played Derby and lost to an awful Derby team 1-0. The plan was to draw McGrath out of the center repeatedly and exploit his pace and the space left in behind. McGrath cottoned on and didn't move one, marked his man out of the game was named MOTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Esse85 wrote: »
    He really had Baggio in his pocket that day, this ferocious Italian magician with his pony tail, considered one of the best in the world at the time, and Paul McGrath made it look all so easy.

Effectively playing with one arm tied behind his back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭PGE1970

He was the best CB that this country has produced and in the Top 5 ever.

I was at his international debut against Italy in Dalymount.

We walked in free because the gates were opened due to crowd size!

Wonderful gifted footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I stood behind him in a shop once. It was cold and dark in his shadow. I guess that's what playing with him was like.
    The best biography I ever read too. I used to read a lot of football biographies and most of them didn't come across very well, not necessarily because they weren't nice, just a bit away with the faeries. He came across as a very decent modest individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    ... turns 60 years old today. Had to start an appreciation thread.

My favourite Irish international player of all time. Absolute legend. Was a 12 year old kid when he put on the performance of a lifetime against Italy in the Giant's Stadium, what a performance for a guy who was 34 with knees hanging together. Will never forget that game and that performance.

If you haven't read his autobiography, I would strongly suggest. Like everyone, he's not perfect, but glad that he is doing well these days.

I was 14 for the Italy game and I can still remember every challenge and every implausible header. Remarkable day.

Always a rager for me that Villa never got to win that league in 1993 solely for him! PFA player of the year that year as well.

Happy birthday Paul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

definitly my favourite Irish footballer ever - local Dun Laoghaire boy too - knew him years ago - an absolute gent - Troubled (like may of us ) - Happy Birthday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Had the pleasure of meeting him once, in a random Hotel lobby in Donegal. Absolute gent, taking the time chat to anyone who approached to say hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭.red.

Just saw elsewhere....

Virgil Van Dyke wears Paul McGrath pyjamas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

His nickname among Villa fans is God. That says a lot about his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,775 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Have his biography on a shelf here waiting to be read. Wished he'd have been able to stay at Man United and been part of that success, but at least he became a club legend elsewhere.

Apparently he nearly ended up at Napoli when Maradonna was there. Probably for the best he didn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The thread title scared the bejaysus out of me. Thought it was going to be an RIP thread.
    Can clearly remember staying up late as a 6 year old watching the Italy game in 1994 and even then knowing how good he was. He was on the same plane as my 6th class back in the late 90s. He signed autographs for about 25 excited 11 year olds and was an absolute gent.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Have his biography on a shelf here waiting to be read. Wished he'd have been able to stay at Man United and been part of that success, but at least he became a club legend elsewhere.

Apparently he nearly ended up at Napoli when Maradonna was there. Probably for the best he didn't.
    Definitely recommend it! It's an incredible but harrowing read and really shows what goes through the mind of an alcoholic. I think he mentions in the book that if you offer an alcoholic a choice between his wife and kids and a bottle of vodka, they'll choose the vodka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

He is criminally underrated outside of Ireland and almost never mentioned when people talk about the best centre-halfs that have played the game in England. This is despite the fact that he is one of only five defenders to have won the PFA POTY award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What a legend. Unfortunately himself and Whiteside became the victims of a new era under Ferguson.

Great singer as well. His version of the Contender is quite poignant and could be written about himself. https://youtu.be/v3Rg6F9bzhY

Loved the quote 'McGrath, loved by everyone but himself'.

• Advertisement

Was at Lansdowne Road when he scored against Bulgaria in 1987. Afair we had already written off our chances in that group only for Gary McKay to pop up a few months later and send us to Germany. Hard to think only 8 teams used to get through, and how close we got to the semi finals.

One of the funnier moments was when the Irish team returned from Italia 90 on the same day as a visit by Nelson Mandela, Dublin Airport was rammed and the SA leader was greeted with a chant of "Ooh Aah Paul McGrath's da"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

My sister still has the cardboard pop up yoke of him, that came free with cornflakes during the 94 World Cup.
    I knew he was a gifted footballer before I know anything about football. That’s how good he was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

No time for him, Wife Beating Scumbag.

No better than George Best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

His performance against Italy might be the greatest individual performance from an Irish player. Perhaps there were better ones older fans can remember but it's the standout I've seen in my time as a fan. Keane vs Netherlands in '01 the closest I've seen get to it.

Agree with what's been said on his book. Terrific yet harrowing read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

The reason I bought came a villa fan. I was an avid Barca supporter in my early days, didn't really care for English teams as none of them had the magic of Barca in the late 80's early 90's.

I remember sitting down and watching a match with my da and he just said "Watch Paul McGrath there, he's magic" he wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

banie01 wrote: »
    His move from midfield to centre back was majestic.

:confused:

He was a centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He lives down my way so I meet him quite a bit. A very quiet, unassuming guy.
    You don't realise how big he is until you are standing beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Without doubt the greatest defender that Ireland has ever produced.
    Can't believe he could almost never train because of his knees but was still able to put in world class performances.

I know he has had his struggles with drink, so I sincerely hope he is doing well.

If Ireland had the equivalent of a knighthood or OBE he would be the first name on the list.

Advertisement