Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking phone immediately after purchase

Options
  • 04-12-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get an iPhone 7 as a Christmas present for my mother and am considering signing up to a contract, unlocking the phone and giving it to her (she is currently PAYG and wouldn't spend enough to warrant going to bill, nor will she change from Vodafone). I am currently sim only and don't need a new phone so wouldn't need an upgrade myself for the foreseeable future.

Sorry if I seem naive to the unlocking process, but I am worried that I will do this and then the network I go with, will not allow the phone to be unlocked for x amount of months.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The networks will usually insist on x number of bills, or x number of top ups before they unlock phones,

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

whiterebel wrote: »
    The networks will usually insist on x number of bills, or x number of top ups before they unlock phones,

Thanks, this is exactly what I was afraid of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I am looking to get an iPhone 7 as a Christmas present for my mother and am considering signing up to a contract, unlocking the phone and giving it to her (she is currently PAYG and wouldn't spend enough to warrant going to bill, nor will she change from Vodafone). I am currently sim only and don't need a new phone so wouldn't need an upgrade myself for the foreseeable future.

Sorry if I seem naive to the unlocking process, but I am worried that I will do this and then the network I go with, will not allow the phone to be unlocked for x amount of months.

Virgin media is €25 a month for all data and calls ( €5 a month for for first 5 months ) only a 30 day rolling contract so not tied into it

buy a phone for €250 new

or gomo are €10 a month

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks, this is exactly what I was afraid of!

If you buy it on the Vodafone network, you wont have to unlock it for use in her PAYG account.

kceire wrote: »
    If you buy it on the Vodafone network, you wont have to unlock it for use in her PAYG account.

Thats what I'm leaning towards doing, consoling myself about the higher price with the fact I can get her an iPhone 8 instead and I will have better coverage than I currently have. :o

• Advertisement

but will have to pay a contract when buying the phone

but will have to pay a contract when buying the phone

OP has said he doesn't mind signing up to a contract I thought.
    am considering signing up to a contract,

OP has said he doesn't mind signing up to a contract I thought.

so buying a new contract for nothing if he's gonna get a payg sim

ps

you still in northwood :)

so buying a new contract for nothing if he's gonna get a payg sim

Sounds like it. He would be better off buying a Sim Free version on Adverts or the like in my opinion.

ps

you still in northwood :)

Stayed with them up until October 2018 but I joined a CrossFit Gym a year ago so giving that a go now. Major change in workout type and style so a good shock to the system!

How about you?

Went with vodafone in the end! I don't mind paying a bigger bill in order to get her a new phone seeing how much she has done for me over the years!

• Advertisement
Advertisement