Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IUI. How many attempts?

Options
  • 04-12-2019 3:19pm

Hi guys,

Myself and the other half have just had our first attempt of IUI in the Rotunda which sadly didn't work.

We are both 38 and I guess I just want to know how many times people have tried before success?

Trying to weigh up whether we should continue trying or to go for the full IVF route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I did two, neither of which worked, and then moved to IVF which thankfully worked the first time for us.

So I am biased, but if i had my time back id have gone straight for IVF!

I think the clinics generally suggest 2 iuis before moving to ivf, but am open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I think they usually say 2/3 attempts before moving on.

We got lucky with our first IUI using daily injections. Fingers crossed your next round in the one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

We did IUI in 2015 and it worked first time for us, I was 38. But I was only given a 12% chance of it working, so I didn't think it would. I think we were told we should only try it once, as we were given such a small chance of it working, and advised to then move onto IVF.

Don't give up!! And try to relax as much as you possibly can. Try some reflexology, with someone who understands fertility issues.
    Best of luck x

Little update for you guys.

We were in with the consultant today and he suggested we try for a second round of IUI.

He said the results of our tests and the way that herself reacted to the treatment were all positive, and nothing pointed to the fact that it shouldnt work, although of course there is no guarantees.

If this round doesn't work, we can start IVF in Feb so fingers crossed we get lucky this time.

Thanks again guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Little update for you guys.

We were in with the consultant today and he suggested we try for a second round of IUI.

He said the results of our tests and the way that herself reacted to the treatment were all positive, and nothing pointed to the fact that it shouldnt work, although of course there is no guarantees.

If this round doesn't work, we can start IVF in Feb so fingers crossed we get lucky this time.

Thanks again guys

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Hi..just adding in my tuppencys worth! We did ‘timed sexual intercourse’ when I was 39. Basically all the injections etc and then they tell you when to have sex. It worked first time for us and we were obviously thrilled! 1 year after my daughter was born we tried again twice and neither worked..I was 41 then. In hindsight I regret not having IVF as if we had then possibly we would have had frozen eggs from when I was 39 and would not have needed such intensive IVF for 2nd child. All if buts and maybes I know but sometime you should consider.

Now at age 43 I’m still toying with idea of IVF but nervous of egg quality. Even though I know a few who’ve had beautiful babies at my age and older.
    Xx

Teeley wrote: »
    Hi..just adding in my tuppencys worth! We did ‘timed sexual intercourse’ when I was 39. Basically all the injections etc and then they tell you when to have sex. It worked first time for us and we were obviously thrilled! 1 year after my daughter was born we tried again twice and neither worked..I was 41 then. In hindsight I regret not having IVF as if we had then possibly we would have had frozen eggs from when I was 39 and would not have needed such intensive IVF for 2nd child. All if buts and maybes I know but sometime you should consider.

Now at age 43 I’m still toying with idea of IVF but nervous of egg quality. Even though I know a few who’ve had beautiful babies at my age and older.
    Xx

I'm also 43, and trying to decide whether to have another. We had our first when I was almost 40, and we did IUI which worked first time. This was after 6 years of naturally trying and trying with clomid. Now I'm afraid I won't conceive naturally at all and will have to go down the fertility route again, which makes me a lot more nervous this time. Like you , I sort of regret not freezing some eggs. I might be lucky, as I had unexplained infertility, so who knows!

IUI second round was unsuccessful unfortunately.

We are going down the IVF route now. The other half is in the chemist at the moment getting all the meds and needles needed and starting tonight.

Fingers crossed.

We are going down the IVF route now. The other half is in the chemist at the moment getting all the meds and needles needed and starting tonight.

Fingers crossed.

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck with IVF, I really hope it works out this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Fingers crossed.

The very best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Fingers crossed.

Good luck with it.

Well we went in for egg harvesting yesterday and they managed to retrieve 10 eggs.

They rang today and said 2 fertilised and a few others are granular so they can't tell yet.

Can anyone who has been through this tell me if this is positive or negative?

I did Google it and from what I can tell, that's not a good sign.

Advertisement