Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading my Nokia phone to an Android but keep my existing SIM card query

• 04-12-2019 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I currently have a Nokia phone, and am interested in upgrading to an Android smartphone ( Samsung Galaxy A5).

I wish to keep my existing number and would like to transfer the sim I use in my Nokia phone to my new Samsung. ( I have all my contacts stored on my existing SIM.)
    My old Nokia and SIM were on Tesco Mobile network, and the Android I wish to upgrade to is on Vodafone network. Can I get the Android phone unlocked so I can use my Tesco Mobile sim in it?

Just wondering is this a long, drawn out process, and are there any risk involved, e.g data loss, etc?

All help appreciated guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Save your contacts to your Google account then when you get your new phone sign into that same account and you will have them.

It will prompt you to transfer them via Bluetooth when you are setting up the new phone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Keith186 wrote: »
    Save your contacts to your Google account then when you get your new phone sign into that same account and you will have them.

It will prompt you to transfer them via Bluetooth when you are setting up the new phone too.

Hard to setup a Google account on an ancient Nokia.
    The phone shops used to have little hand held SIM copy devices maybe they can do something for you when you get the Vodafone SIM. Otherwise you're back to the 90's and pen and paper!!

Or the ubiquitous, This is my new number text!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I am me123 wrote: »
    I currently have a Nokia phone, and am interested in upgrading to an Android smartphone ( Samsung Galaxy A5).

I wish to keep my existing number and would like to transfer the sim I use in my Nokia phone to my new Samsung. ( I have all my contacts stored on my existing SIM.)
    My old Nokia and SIM were on Tesco Mobile network, and the Android I wish to upgrade to is on Vodafone network. Can I get the Android phone unlocked so I can use my Tesco Mobile sim in it?

Just wondering is this a long, drawn out process, and are there any risk involved, e.g data loss, etc?

If your buying the phone from a different network, it could be locked. If so, you might be able to get an unlock code on Ebay.
    Your contacts should be on contacts.google.com check there and see if they have been previously backed up. If so they'll show up on the new phone once you sign in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you cannot use a Tesco SIM on the Vodafone network. If you move network, you have to get a new SIM, there is no alternative. You can keep your phone number but not the SIM.

The other issue is that the Samsung will not be able to take a full size SIM which is probably what you have in the Nokia so either way, your old SIM will have to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭I am me123

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, you cannot use a Tesco SIM on the Vodafone network. If you move network, you have to get a new SIM, there is no alternative. You can keep your phone number but not the SIM.

The other issue is that the Samsung will not be able to take a full size SIM which is probably what you have in the Nokia so either way, your old SIM will have to go.

Thank you.
    So can I get a new SIM for my new phone and activate my current phone number to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thank you.
    So can I get a new SIM for my new phone and activate my current phone number to it?

Yes, it's called porting your number. Is the Nokia you have an ancient block phone?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yes, it's called porting your number. Is the Nokia you have an ancient block phone?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Do you not already have a Samsung j3?

Do you not already have a Samsung j3?

Yes. I am asking this on behalf of a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The old way of copying numbers across was by using an unlocked phone. Copy the contacts of the old sim card onto the phone and then remove the sim, add the new one and copy them to that sim. I'm sure that there would be a phone shop that could still do this for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement