Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airwire Question...?..

• 04-12-2019 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

I notice on the Airwire website that the Siro FTTH 150/30 product price is €45 and is uncapped.
    But i was puzzled to see the vdsl "fttc" product which is much slower @ 100/20 (even though also uncapped) priced higher at €49.
    Can someone from Airwire comment on this, as i know there was a price drop on something recently...
    Surely (and respectfully) the vdsl "fttc" product should be priced at €45 MAX if not lower considering the speed and product Difference..?...
    thanks,

apophis32

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Siro and FTTC are different services and different lines into your house, they have to pay line rental to Eircom for the FTTC so that is probably the best price they can do for that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭apophis32

@Furasta, thanks for the reply, it don't make sense to me, as a consumer it look's odd imo, but if what you say is true then ok!!
    But i am on FTTC now, not with Eir and am paying €40 for 100/20 with a 1tb cap, no real incentive for me to even look at Airwire with that pricing structure.
    But thanks anyway.

apophis32

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

SIRO FTTH is delivered using SIROs access network.

VDSL/FTTC is delivered using OpenEIRs access network.

Using OpenEIRs access is much more costly to us. So if you can avail of SIRO, it would always make more sense to go with that.

Only about 75,000 premises within our footprint are SIRO enabled.

OpenEIRs VDSL network covers approx 1.7M premises. So there are over 1.6M of those premises, that can not get SIRO from us at the moment. At least we give them an option of broadband.

And broadband .. even on the same technology .. is not always defined by price. Providers differ a lot, even when they use the same platform. Support, quality, what upstream networks they are connected to, how much peering they have, latency, download limits etc.

Hi Martin,
    Many thanks for explaining that for me, I'm the typical consumer, always trying to maximize value for my money.
    And even though the increase in price between my isp now ( @ €40 ) and Airwires @ ( €49 ) for the same fttc, is almost a 25% extra cost to my pocket, I will still strongly consider changing to Airwire ( after weighing up all other isp offer's ) based on Price and the value to me as a consumer.

Again I want to thank you Martin for informing me as to the situation, it's very much appreciated indeed.

apophis32

apophis32 wrote: »
    Hi Martin,
    Many thanks for explaining that for me, I'm the typical consumer, always trying to maximize value for my money.
    And even though the increase in price between my isp now ( @ €40 ) and Airwires @ ( €49 ) for the same fttc, is almost a 25% extra cost to my pocket

If you are paying 40 EUR/month with Eir and are out of contract, then that is an ok deal. As long as the price does not go up after a period.

But if you take their current offerent (and yes, that is a bundle, but their standalone pricing is more expensive), then it's 34.99 for the first 6 months and 59.99 thereafter. In a 12 month contract.

That's 569.88 EUR over the year, that you are in contract.

With us it's 49 EUR and stays 49 EUR ... until you decide to change your package. Even if the price for the package increases, existing customers retain their existing pricing. It only changes, if the price goes down. It's a policy.

So 49 EUR over 12 months is 588 EUR. That is precisely 18.12 EUR more expensive/year. If broadband only is, what you are after. But you don't have to worry about finding another provider after 12 months.

• Advertisement

No!! ... I'm sorry Martin, but i am not with Eir (don't know where you picked that out of) the deal i have is Broadband Only and set @ €40 per month, in or out of contract. And my contract ends in just over 2 months.
    So €9 extra per month X 12 = €108 extra per year with a change to Airwire.

but thanks for your input.

apophis32

@Furasta, thanks for the reply, it don't make sense to me, as a consum
    But i am on FTTC now, not with Eir and am paying €40 for 100/20 with a 1tb cap
    No!! ... I'm sorry Martin, but i am not with Eir (don't know where you picked that out of)

I overlooked the "not" in this post. As I said, if your usage is under the 1TB and you are on 40 EUR/month, then that is a good deal.

We do have a 40 EUR VDSL/FTTC package for low data users or those whose line won't perform over 50 Mbit/s anyhow, but that would still be a worse deal than what you have.

To be honest, we have no intentions on competing on price. It's not what we do.

We compete on quality and the fact, that when you ring us, you either get to speak with a competent technician, who actually is in Ireland .. or you at least get a callback within a reasonable timeframe. Typically 1 hour. And we call you back, guaranteed.

Consider us a tech savvy and local provider.

Hi Martin, i thank you again for your reply...
    You wave the flag of "quality" as though it was exclusive to Airwire, but i have that same same quality with my current Provider i am glad to say.
    And to say you have no intention to compete on price is odd, and .... makes me wonder why you recently had price reductions on other products, why not keep all Price's where they were..?..then.
    But this is all getting us nowhere, so again thank you for..?.. well I'll just say thank you!! and leave it there,
    Good luck to you....

apophis32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Different providers will balance their prices on the range of different services from the different networks in a way that they believe will optimise profits for them. Martin is just being honest in admitting that they can not beat your current price of €40 and turn a profit. Many other providers would give you some bull on why you should go with them even though in reality that may not be the case.

Would you mind sharing which provider you are currently with as people ask questions on who is best to sign up with all the time and it may help them.

@tuxy, thanks man.
    I understand Martin is just being honest and i really respect him for that. And i may still sign up with Airwire, i don't know just yet.
    I won't say who my current provider is as my contract is nearly up ... but i will say i am also looking at vodafone "Simply Broadband" @ €25 for 6 month's and €40 per month thereafter, i was with vf before and apart from a few insignificant problem's, i had no complaint's. A very good offer in my opinion.
    A mate of mine who lives local to me is with them now and said he would never move, unless someone killed it with a price cut.

apophis32

• Advertisement

And to say you have no intention to compete on price is odd, and .... makes me wonder why you recently had price reductions on other products, why not keep all Price's where they were..?

There is a simple answer to that.

The pricing you refer to are our SIRO products. The wholesale pricing for SIRO has changed earlier this year, but we didn't revise the pricing then, because nobody was signing up to those packages anyhow with the promotional pricing around.

With the promotion ending end of this year, we have looked at those two packages again and adjusted them to what is reasonable in the market that we operate in. That does not mean, we are the cheapest provider around. We do try to be the best value and consistent though.

@Martin, thanks man.
    As i said in my reply to tuxy, i respect your position, thanks again
    best regards,

apophis32

Advertisement