Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport expiration question.

Options
  • 04-12-2019 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Traveling to Las Vegas next month and my o/h has realised her passport expires at the end of June 2020. Will she be okay to travel with it in January or should she renew it now?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Assuming an Irish passport, she's fine, there is no six month rule

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Traveling to Las Vegas next month and my o/h has realised her passport expires at the end of June 2020. Will she be okay to travel with it in January or should she renew it now?

Thank you.

If you do renew it and use the online application you'll have it in a week. Your esta only lasts till the end of your passport. So if you're going again soon it might be easier to get it renewed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks, guys. It is indeed an Irish passport. Good to know re the esta, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Don't risk the six month rule. Get a new passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

yenom wrote: »
    Don't risk the six month rule. Get a new passport.

There is NO 6 month rule, she can travel on existing passport with associated esta or renew her passport & travel on that with associated esta, esta is tied to your current valid passport, There is NO 6 month rule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

100% no 6 month rule. Just travelled to US in September and my passport expired in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

100% no 6 month rule. Just travelled to US in September and my passport expired in November.

+1 There is a six month rule but Ireland and a long list of other countries (members of the Six Month Club) are exempt.

I have travelled for Thanksgiving with a passport which had only six weeks left on it (expired early January) and there was no problem. An Irish passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

6 month rule doesn’t apply to Irish passports but from experience not all immigration officers know this.

Travelling to NYC from London on an Irish passport a few years ago and I had problems getting through immigration. The officer wasn’t happy that my passport expired in 6 weeks and wasn’t inclined to let me enter.

Took a few phone calls to a superior to get sorted, was a little bit stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6 month rule doesn’t apply to Irish passports but from experience not all immigration officers know this.

Travelling to NYC from London on an Irish passport a few years ago and I had problems getting through immigration. The officer wasn’t happy that my passport expired in 6 weeks and wasn’t inclined to let me enter.

Took a few phone calls to a superior to get sorted, was a little bit stressful.

How long were you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That is totally nuts. Click the link I provided in post #8 and look at the list of countries exempt from the six month rule. Must have been his first day on the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement