Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC for my lad, to get into building.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's entry-level, but all games will have to be older or set to lowest settings to be playable - a dedicated GPU would be the first thing to upgrade.
    Also those cheap pre-built PCs generally don't have the best power supplies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The fad won't wear off ;)

imo building a PC together is a really good bonding experience too, and you'll save a handful of euro building it anyway. You could build a decent and upgradeable machine for under 450 euro.

The AWT links above go out of their way to not specifiy the power supply in them so I wouldn't exactly trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The fad won't wear off ;)

imo building a PC together is a really good bonding experience too, and you'll save a handful of euro building it anyway. You could build a decent and upgradeable machine for under 450 euro.

The AWT links above go out of their way to not specifiy the power supply in them so I wouldn't exactly trust them.

I'm looking forward to it. :)
    He's a bit impatient, probably takes after me. Hopefully we get a good start here and go from there.

b.t.w I've spent a bit more and upgrade to this

AWD Stronghold Intel G4560 3.5GHz GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 PC I

Graphics Card (1050ti): Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB ,
    Intel CPU - G4560: Intel Pentium G4560 - Dual Core 3.5GHz
    Case: Kolink Stronghold Tempered Glass Window ,
    PC Memory Upgrade Dual DDR4 : Corsair 8GB Value (2x4GB) 2400Mhz DDR4 ,
    Liquid Cooling Upgrade: Standard CPU Cooler ,
    Hard Drive: Kingston 240GB SSD , Wifi: USB 1200Mbps Dual Band Wifi Adapter with Antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Intel G4560 is junk - AVOID

GTX 1050 Ti has always been bad value compared to the RX 570/580, which cost the same but are 30-50% faster.

The "Nimbus" is on sale: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-amd-nimbus-rgb-ryzen-2300x-quad-core-4.0-ghz-radeon-rx-580-4gb-pc.html

Upgrade the RAM to 2x4Gb DDR-3000 (+9.99) and SSD to 480Gb (+19.99) - that's a capable machine for €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Tell me you didn't buy that? that's hopelessly oudated, seriously crap processor and bad upgrade options as it's an old socket type. Most new games would be unplayable.

like this one is cheaper and infinitely faster

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-amd-nimbus-rgb-ryzen-2300x-quad-core-4.0-ghz-radeon-rx-580-4gb-pc.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thanks folks, I got in before the lock and changed my order.

Advertisement