Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Registry (Why The Delay / Appreciate Advice)

Options
  • 04-12-2019 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi,

I’m in the process of buying a house (for the last 6 months).

Our solicitor has been working through the contract for the last 6 months and now we are down to one final item before we can close, which is a small piece of additional land that needs to be registered.

I have heard from a few people that it only takes the Land Registry Office 5-10 mins to process an application, yet there is a delay and backlog of almost a year in some cases.

Does anyone know why there is such a backlog and delay, and secondary has anyone been through the process recently, and how long did it take.

The purchase of our house might fall through if it is not resolved soon (for various reasons) which is really frustrating as we’ve spent 6 months back to back on the contract.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi. Wondering does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

I have a similar query, but am the seller in this instance. We discovered that the property is partly on registered and partly unregistered land.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I wouldn't say it takes land registry 5-10mins to process an application at all. The land registry deal with everything relating to any sort of registration of land - whether it’s a mortgage, change of ownership, converting title from registry of deeds to land registry, registering boundaries of properties, changing the boundaries, registering rights of way etc. So it really depends on what the application is and what department it’s in.

Also it’s a first come, first serve basis so you can put your application for something on a piece of land but say there is another application pending that was submitted before yours for something else on that land, that needs to be dealt with first before yours can be reviewed. If it involves mapping in any way it can take up to a year. Also if any queries are raised, can take a while to be dealt with.

Land registry is also a public body so like any government body, they take as long as it takes and hard to move it along.

So really depends on what has been submitted to land registry.

I think if you log in to landdirect.ie as a guest and if you have the application number or folio number you can see where the application is in the process.

Advertisement