Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officers 2019 in Revenue - Audit and Compliance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MindhackDiva

Hi Ollie321

As far as I know revenue run HEO competition and AO grade are eligible to apply.

An AO can not apply for HEO interdepartmental competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Ollie321 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just on your point about applying for internal HEO, I was under the impression that AOs were not applicable to apply for HEO as they point end on the same point on scale? In the most recent inter I'm nearly sure that was the case, but is it different for internal with revenue?

That's my understanding too, having lost a very good colleague due to it (they took an AO job and substantial drop in $$$ expecting to quickly progress to HEO or AP, then found that internal HEO wasn't an option and AP was not easily got)...

Hi Ollie321

As far as I know revenue run HEO competition and AO grade are eligible to apply.

An AO can not apply for HEO interdepartmental competition.

I'm going to double check this but my understanding is that AOs are eligible to apply for Open HEO, since anyone can, but not confined (whether that's Revenue confined, or interdepartmental).

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

That's my understanding too, having lost a very good colleague due to it (they took an AO job and substantial drop in $$$ expecting to quickly progress to HEO or AP, then found that internal HEO wasn't an option and AP was not easily got)...

Hi Barney
    I know an AO can't apply for the InterD HEO, but I don't have any knowledge if one could apply for an internal Revenue.
    Could an AO in Revenue apply for InterD or Internal EO comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MindhackDiva

Hi Mindhack Diva

I got an offer with the accounting stream last week but it is in the midlands. I am so very grateful to have got an offer, don't get me wrong but I am sad that it is not within my beloved Galway. I know if I turn down this offer there is big risk I wont get Galway or Limerick (my 2nd choice) even though I am still within the top 5 in the panel for each county. Don't know what to do. Did anyone hear anything from the Galway or Limerick panel for accounting stream? If I do accept the midlands then I believe I am taken off the Galway and Limerick Panel. And apparently one cant transfer within revenue to other locations until they have completed two years of service :(:( I am so confused as to what I should do.

Let us know how you decide 😊

• Advertisement

Hi Barney
    I know an AO can't apply for the InterD HEO, but I don't have any knowledge if one could apply for an internal Revenue.
    Could an AO in Revenue apply for InterD or Internal EO comp?

No, because one of the criteria for confined competitions is usually that it is confined to serving officers (with a minimum period of service), currently serving in a grade whose pay tops out at a point below the top of the grade being applied for. In basic terms, such competitions are for promotion and you can't be "promoted" to a grade which is seen as equivalent (or as per your question, lower) in pay terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmaneiser

I guessing there is still no movement on the data analytics panel? I emailed panel placing to ask but haven't heard anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭3002

Congrats delighted for you :):):):):):) Well done. Fair play. What location have you been offered? Wishing you all the very best and more :):):):):)

GalwayGirl2020, Thanks a mill. Location is Cork, my 1st choice so I am very lucky. I was on the Limerick Accounting panel, no.5, if you were lower on the panel,you can move up a place as I will be taken off the Limerick panel but if you are higher, send panel placing another email to get an update of where you stand now on your preferred panel before making your decision.
    Maybe some1 on here has been offered a place on your preferred location & can tell you where they were on it so you know what number has been reached to date.
    It is a hard choice as no way of knowing how panels progress but hopefully you'll come to your decision soon & be happy with it.

great to see other panels moving finally when the process has been so long. congrats to all

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BLOSSOM11

emmaneiser wrote: »
    great to see other panels moving finally when the process has been so long. congrats to all

It so is. Just wish the Data Analytics panel would start moving too. Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

emmaneiser wrote: »
    I guessing there is still no movement on the data analytics panel? I emailed panel placing to ask but haven't heard anything back.

It's hard to get an update from panel placing but hopefully you will hear something bk soon.
    I haven't heard of any movement on the data analytics panel in general countrywide but hopefully some1 on here might have an update for you.

Did anyone here apply for AO in IGEES?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Briefly seen aan article today suggesting that public sector unions are to vote on 2% pay increase/clawback. I assume this increase will affect any new Revemue AO appointments also?

Briefly seen aan article today suggesting that public sector unions are to vote on 2% pay increase/clawback. I assume this increase will affect any new Revemue AO appointments also?

Yes, the union are balloting Civil Servants & Public Sector Staff at the moment in regards to a new pay deal. If agreed, yes, the increase will be seen in the Pay scales for all grades.

The wait is getting to me now.

Panel Placings haven't responded to any email since before Christmas. I see on the PAS AO thread people are going through clearance, could any of these candidates be placed in Revenue? Its just frustrating having no update when the panel is only active for a year and we are a few months in with little movement.

Panel Placings haven't responded to any email since before Christmas. I see on the PAS AO thread people are going through clearance, could any of these candidates be placed in Revenue?

Re. AO through PAS panels, yes some of these could be placed in Revenue.
    At any 1 time, there can be 5 different panels being pulled off. That is not including the split of the Open AO Audit & Compliance having 4 panels alone.
    PAS will have an 2 panels for AO- Open & an Interdepartmental Panel.
    Every department will have an Internal Panel &
    Revenue could have 2 more AO panels- Open AO Audit & Compliance & Internal AO Audit & Compliance with the Open of this comp having 4 panels. Impossible to know what panels are in use & what panel is next to be used which makes the waiting game harder.

3002 wrote: »

Panel Placings haven't responded to any email since before Christmas. I see on the PAS AO thread people are going through clearance, could any of these candidates be placed in Revenue?

Re. AO through PAS panels, yes some of these could be placed in Revenue.
    At any 1 time, there can be 5 different panels being pulled off. That is not including the split of the Open AO Audit & Compliance having 4 panels alone.
    PAS will have an 2 panels for AO- Open & an Interdepartmental Panel.
    Every department will have an Internal Panel &
    Revenue could have 2 more AO panels- Open AO Audit & Compliance & Internal AO Audit & Compliance with the Open of this comp having 4 panels. Impossible to know what panels are in use & what panel is next to be used which makes the waiting game harder.

There's no such thing as internal or interdepartmental AO competitions or panels. By definition, AO is an open recruitment grade.

I'm not aware of anyone entering Revenue as an AO from a general PAS AO panel, not in the last 10 years anyway. There'd be absolutely no reason to do that, since open is open and Revenue have their own panels for AO positions across various functions. Unless you have actual certain knowledge to the contrary?

There's no such thing as internal or interdepartmental AO competitions or panels. By definition, AO is an open recruitment grade.

I'm not aware of anyone entering Revenue as an AO from a general PAS AO panel, not in the last 10 years anyway. There'd be absolutely no reason to do that, since open is open and Revenue have their own panels for AO positions across various functions. Unless you have actual certain knowledge to the contrary?

Apologies i must have the wrong information on AO panels for InterD & Internal.
    In regards to PAS General AO, I do know people in revenue who got in from general PAS AO panels rather than the Revenue Open AO panel in the last number of yrs. Prob due to the large retirement of HEOs

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

Nonsense both new and existing Revenue staff get posts from gen AO panel. There's cases were they were placed in policy, legal and audit roles(guess revenue panels ran dry for Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭starstothesun

Apologies i must have the wrong information on AO panels for InterD & Internal.
    In regards to PAS General AO, I do know people in revenue who got in from general PAS AO panels rather than the Revenue Open AO panel in the last number of yrs. Prob due to the large retirement of HEOs

Plenty of AOs go for Interdepartmental and internal HEO positions and move over to HEO grade as salary is higher at HEO level in the first few years. I know AO catches up eventually but most AOs tend to move over.

Revenue do pull from the Open AO PAS panels so don’t be under an illusions that it’s just the revenue AO specific panels they use only. In my eyes and in my experience and opinion ( i work in revenue) They tend to pick and chose from the open PAS panels and likewise they pick and choose at EO entry level too who they want based on qualifications.

Internal competitions tend to be favoritism - so if your friendly with the right people it tends to get you somewhere. Plenty of EOs and AOs that have joined in the last number of years have left and went back to practice/private sector due to frustration of not gaining promotion.

Don’t expect replies from the panel placing email either i don’t even think they check it.

Regarding recruitment for every AO/HEO position it’s a 1 in 5 chance you have so bear in mind to get positioned as a AO in revenue its the 5th vacancy at HEO/AO level so 4 people before you filled a position and some if the smaller offices with 120 people or less mightnt even have 5 vacancies at HEO/AO level in a year. Also, in my experience it’s internal competitions that tend to take the most candidates from. From experience i’ve seen people sit on AO panels at number 1 for months and never get called so dont put your lifes on hold depending on this competition. I do feel it us a little corrupt at times as offices (not meant too but do) hold out and pick and choose which candidate they want..

Being honest those sitting on law & data analytics panels have generally a lower chance of recruitment as those from the tax and accounting panels have more places nationwide. Also revenue tend to find it harder to fill positions in Dublin.

Certain amoubt of bullying and scaremongering goes on too.. if you get in paddle your own canoe as when promotions etc come up - people will back stab each other for that extra bit of power amd walk over you to get there (if you consider yourself a friend or not to them some people go to all costs to get where they want ad fcuk whoever to get there) just to note : didnt happen to me personally but ive seen it going on for a number of years!

So i suppose guys/gals dont put yer eggs in the one basket or yer lifes on hold relying on this competition...

• Advertisement

Revenue do pull from the Open AO PAS panels so don’t be under an illusions that it’s just the revenue AO specific panels they use only. In my eyes and in my experience and opinion ( i work in revenue) They tend to pick and chose from the open PAS panels and likewise they pick and choose at EO entry level too who they want based on qualifications.

Internal competitions tend to be favoritism - so if your friendly with the right people it tends to get you somewhere. Plenty of EOs and AOs that have joined in the last number of years have left and went back to practice/private sector due to frustration of not gaining promotion.

Don’t expect replies from the panel placing email either i don’t even think they check it.

Regarding recruitment for every AO/HEO position it’s a 1 in 5 chance you have so bear in mind to get positioned as a AO in revenue its the 5th vacancy at HEO/AO level so 4 people before you filled a position and some if the smaller offices with 120 people or less mightnt even have 5 vacancies at HEO/AO level in a year. Also, in my experience it’s internal competitions that tend to take the most candidates from. From experience i’ve seen people sit on AO panels at number 1 for months and never get called so dont put your lifes on hold depending on this competition. I do feel it us a little corrupt at times as offices (not meant too but do) hold out and pick and choose which candidate they want..

Revenue when getting someone from PAS would have no idea of qualifications unless they were revenue staff already.PAS can assign whoever...

For Internal comps I don't see how favoritism comes into it. You're tested(verbal and numerical) and ranked and attend an interview with someone you don't know in Revenue.Unless they might favour someone with 30 years experience in Revenue over someone with 2 in scoring(which is fair enough in my opinion)

If an office has 120 staff they might be 20-30 HEO posts, then there certainly won't be 5 HEO promotions a year going to it.lots of young HEOs now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭starstothesun

doc22 wrote: »
    Revenue when getting someone from PAS would have no idea of qualifications unless they were revenue staff already.PAS can assign whoever...

For Internal comps I don't see how favoritism comes into it. You're tested(verbal and numerical) and ranked and attend an interview with someone you don't know in Revenue.Unless they might favour someone with 30 years experience in Revenue over someone with 2 in scoring(which is fair enough in my opinion)

If an office has 120 staff they might be 20-30 HEO posts, then there certainly won't be 5 HEO promotions a year going to it.lots of young HEOs now too

Ive been informed by a AP grade and higher, revenue do pick and choose (well they dod the past few years) they use expression to maych capaibility/skills to the job to PAS

Internally Revenue have ran competitions that did not have Verbal/numerical reasoning tests, the application form was submitted with PO recommendation so therefore thats where favouritism has came into it. Widely seen in many offices and staff could prrdict before submitting an application form who would get higher reckonision than others... Also ive witnessed first hand certain people being pulled from Internal & Interdepartmental competitions & they havent all gone in sequence either.. They pull them especially when panels are due to expire..
    In relation to HEO/AO positions i agree there mightnt even be 2 positions in a year, so Im highlighting all sitting on the AO panel i wouldnt be getting hopes up as they pull from 5 different sources.

Culture & atmosphere within the organisation has changed dramatically over the past 5 years, ot aint the same organisation as in character and culture as years ago

Ive been informed by a AP grade and higher, revenue do pick and choose (well they dod the past few years) they use expression to maych capaibility/skills to the job to PAS

Internally Revenue have ran competitions that did not have Verbal/numerical reasoning tests, the application form was submitted with PO recommendation so therefore thats where favouritism has came into it. Widely seen in many offices and staff could prrdict before submitting an application form who would get higher reckonision than others... Also ive witnessed first hand certain people being pulled from Internal & Interdepartmental competitions & they havent all gone in sequence either.. They pull them especially when panels are due to expire..
    In relation to HEO/AO positions i agree there mightnt even be 2 positions in a year, so Im highlighting all sitting on the AO panel i wouldnt be getting hopes up as they pull from 5 different sources.

Culture & atmosphere within the organisation has changed dramatically over the past 5 years, ot aint the same organisation as in character and culture as years ago

Revenue can not pick and choose, They ask for 5 HEO from the inter PAS panel they get 5 HEOs. The pick in terms of they can request there own staff or express types of qualifications for role perhaps in Dublin. But they aren't given a list of people to choose from. In regions the role has to be given the next in line(but if revenue know you're on a panel they may wait for your turn)

By sequence you mean open/internal/inter sequence, not I'm number 1 and their taking number 5 on panel. It's fair enough if a PO has a choice between one of there own staff on internal panel or an unknown perhaps an open candidate they take there own.

By change in culture what do you mean? for worse or better. Lots on highly educated young people joining...

I'll be starting in an AO position in Donegal this month. I've been assigned to the Busienss Services division.

Has anyone any idea what day to day work tasks might look like? I'm trying to get ahead of myself and doing some research to fill in ant gaps before I start

I'll be starting in an AO position in Donegal this month. I've been assigned to the Busienss Services division.

Has anyone any idea what day to day work tasks might look like? I'm trying to get ahead of myself and doing some research to fill in ant gaps before I start

Ask HR for manager contact, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help/speak to new staff. Goodluck

doc22 wrote: »
    Ask HR for manager contact, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help/speak to new staff. Goodluck

Thanks. I've been given a name and due to contact them at the end of the week. In just being impatient! I've some time on my hands and eager to get started!

Congrats to you, best wishes with the new job. Great to see more numbers getting placed off this comp after the long & difficult process.
    With remote working & the pandemic it might be hard to know what the day to day tasks will be in the Business Division at the mo but most staff are working on the Covid Employer payment schemes - TWSS & EWSS. Might be worth reading up on them in the Revenue website.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

Internal panels are widely spread and interview is competency based. Yes, you do submit an application form with your PO recommendation, however if your competencies do not suit the panel, recommendation alone will not suffice for you to be offered the position.
    There were 2 internal HEO competition in 2019 and 2020 and there is one currently at interview stages. Most candidates who applied are very young EOs, yes experience might come into play, however you would expect that.

Hi all,
    Has anyone heard of any movement since?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kriordan22

Hi all,
    Has anyone heard of any movement since?

I haven't heard anything unfortunately! Fingers crossed there will be some movement in the next 6 months

Advertisement