Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Entrance

Options
  • 05-12-2019 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

The new entrance of Tesco in Roselawn has been getting on my nerves for some time now. It gets on my tits every time I go in for a shop. Its a bottleneck most of the time as you have people entering from two directions and people leaving. Inside the door, it can become too congested as you have people stopping to look deals on the pallets on your left-hand side, people stopping to look for baskets or to have a natter wither a person leaving with their trolleys or 34 kids. The new customer service desk doesn't help either. When you walk in the door you have to walk against the flow of people coming from the checkouts with bags and baskets, who sometimes stop for whatever known reason. You also have the community charity initiative with the blue token stand beside the security desk. It's too congested

it's irritating having to walk through an entrance as small as that considering the number of customers that pass through a store of its size. I don't why it was changed? Was it to accommodate the ATM due to a que that went across the exit, which was seldom.

This has been bugging me since it was changed. People seem to think its fine to stop for a chat right in the door with a trolley or their entire family.There is a lot people crossing paths or trying to make way for one another- other people not so much. Is the entrance not anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's a horrible store, think I've been in there once in the past 6 months or so. It's small, poorly stocked, the aisles are usually blocked by boxes waiting to go on the shelves and there's almost always lengthy queues for the check outs.

I use shop and collect in the car park or I go to the store on the navan road. Scan and shop is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,548 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hi!
    I'm not 100% sure what your on about.
    However my local Tesco used have a large shutter at the entrance.
    Then they built this sort of large glass cube around it with a much smaller automatic door.
    I think their reasons for doing it was they could put stock in it such as firing, plants, seasonal stuff at Christmas. It also is meant to help with keeping the store warm because they don't have a large entrance open.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The new entrance of Tesco in Roselawn has been getting on my nerves for some time now. It gets on my tits every time I go in for a shop. Its a bottleneck most of the time as you have people entering from two directions and people leaving. Inside the door, it can become too congested as you have people stopping to look deals on the pallets on your left-hand side, people stopping to look for baskets or to have a natter wither a person leaving with their trolleys or 34 kids. The new customer service desk doesn't help either. When you walk in the door you have to walk against the flow of people coming from the checkouts with bags and baskets, who sometimes stop for whatever known reason. You also have the community charity initiative with the blue token stand beside the security desk. It's too congested

it's irritating having to walk through an entrance as small as that considering the number of customers that pass through a store of its size. I don't why it was changed? Was it to accommodate the ATM due to a que that went across the exit, which was seldom.

This has been bugging me since it was changed. People seem to think its fine to stop for a chat right in the door with a trolley or their entire family.There is a lot people crossing paths or trying to make way for one another- other people not so much. Is the entrance not anyone else?

I think it was a security measure, shop was too open to casual thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Staff told me it was to accommodate the scan as you shop machines although I don't see why they had to do it for that. It is very annoying the way it ended up alright.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Caranica wrote: »
    It's a horrible store, think I've been in there once in the past 6 months or so. It's small, poorly stocked, the aisles are usually blocked by boxes waiting to go on the shelves and there's almost always lengthy queues for the check outs.

I use shop and collect in the car park or I go to the store on the navan road. Scan and shop is great!

I absolutely despise shopping there. The store is old and no longer fit for the volume of customers it attracts. The aisles are far too narrow and the range of products carried is poor. Tesco really need to build a bigger store in the area, but there are no obvious sites for one, short of demolishing the existing store and all the other shops there and starting from scratch. However that would attract more traffic and the car park is a nightmare at times as it is, plus a lot of small businesses would be forced to close, so I guess we're probably stuck with what we have. Thank god for click and collect!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I assume to make it less draughty but don't know.

I've haven't noticed it being congested. But it's a place I only go late when everything else is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I hate that Tescos but I find the fishmongers few shops up really good.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

The Tesco in Roselawn has to be the poor relation of the Tesco chain.
    Simply can’t understand why Tesco’s haven’t acquired a green field site somewhere in D15 and built a shop comparable with Cabra Cross or Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think it was a security measure, shop was too open to casual thieves.

In what way do you think? The security guard desk was to the left of where the old customer service was, in the corner to the left-hand side as you come in the entrance door. Nows it's between the two doors

IMO the shop floor being open to casual thieves doesn't really explain the change in the entrance. The new cameras make a difference. Security would have to know for certain if a thief has something on their person and leaves the premises before stopping them. How they exit wouldn't make a difference in the old or new set up.

I've seen a lot of people caught for lifting and the security guards have always been on the ball. If its to prevent the cat and mouse chases Iv seen then yeah this set up would work :p

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Simply can’t understand why Tesco’s haven’t acquired a green field site somewhere in D15 and built a shop comparable with Cabra Cross or Liffey Valley.

I thought the one in Ballyfermot was bad. I think they are stuck with what they have and there is nothing they can do with it without causing major disruption to the business in the centre. The only thing that has changed about that store was the Quinsworth name.

• Advertisement

I hate that Tescos but I find the fishmongers few shops up really good.

+1 on the fishmongers. Ever since it opened I think people are mad buying their fish in Tesco.

beauf wrote: »
    I assume to make it less draughty but don't know.

I've haven't noticed it being congested. But it's a place I only go late when everything else is closed.

I used to love it when it was 24hours. But now, late at night, it is quiet enough. You wouldn't experience congestion at the door a peak or busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Dropped in today, from the car park traffic (and pedestrians who just don’t give a toss about cutting in and out) to the store itself, it’s an actively unpleasant place to shop. Was designed for a different era by Quinnsworth. Avoid if at all possible these days.

I think there's nothing wrong with it.

It's handy because it's local and there's no traffic getting to the place. Lots of different Local shops, Tesco is ok for the size of it. Always get parking. People walking in the car park?

It's a small suburban local shopping centre. What exactly are people expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

I quite like it too - a small shopping centre in a residential area. It's important to have local shops in D15, there needs to be something else in the area than the Blanch shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cos Roselawn is a goldmine that costs them nothing, bit like Lucan Dodsboro. There aren't a whole heap of large sites in our part of D15 that are a) zoned for a store like that and b) in areas of high customer traffic that would return the investment.

Cabra is a nice store to visit but I've been in the Liffey Valley store a couple of times and it always seems very quiet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think there's nothing wrong with it.

It's handy because it's local and there's no traffic getting to the place. Lots of different Local shops, Tesco is ok for the size of it. Always get parking. People walking in the car park?

It's a small suburban local shopping centre. What exactly are people expecting.

I think the car park can be jammers with the amount of folks going in and out and it's not really at the standard of a modern wide isle store. It could do with a refurb or rethink. And it's not people walking in the car park, it's the nature of it being all over the place and them cutting in and out versus a better designed car park that funnels pedestrians and shoppers down specific lanes, because they have the space for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Cos Roselawn is a goldmine that costs them nothing, bit like Lucan Dodsboro. There aren't a whole heap of large sites in our part of D15 that are a) zoned for a store like that and b) in areas of high customer traffic that would return the investment.

Cabra is a nice store to visit but I've been in the Liffey Valley store a couple of times and it always seems very quiet to me.

Agree, its barely fit for purpose these days.
    It was great 20 years ago when there it was the only shopping choice in area besides SuperQuinn.
    The population of D15 has probably quadrupled in the mean time but its still the same but now it has competition from Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes.

Tesco are stingy so probably wont upgrade store size or look to new flagship store in D15. Their store in Phibsborough is the same.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Tesco appear to have a strange policy towards D15. When you compare the retail presence of Lidl, even Dunne’s and Supervalue have two stores each in D15. Bear in mind that population of D 15 is in excess of 125,000, bigger than Galway City, Waterford and Limerick Cities.

I think you're expecting a bit much. It's not expected to be a full size store. It's only meant to serve the immediate area. Once you're a a mile or more away you're nearer much larger stores of other chains.

Really the value isn't in Tesco. It's in all the other local shops there. I much prefer somewhere like this than those vast warehouses. We would often be up there for something in the other shops almost more often than in Tesco.

If it was a much larger store it would drag vast amounts of traffic to it. No one wants that in a residential area.

If they were to build a giant store it would have to somewhere else closer to the M3. Catch the people heading home that don't want to get caught up in the gridlock around Blanch Center.

• Advertisement

I think you're expecting a bit much. It's not expected to be a full size store. It's only meant to serve the immediate area. Once you're a a mile or more away you're nearer much larger stores of other chains.

Really the value isn't in Tesco. It's in all the other local shops there. I much prefer somewhere like this than those vast warehouses. We would often be up there for something in the other shops almost more often than in Tesco.

If it was a much larger store it would drag vast amounts of traffic to it. No one wants that in a residential area.

If they were to build a giant store it would have to somewhere else closer to the M3. Catch the people heading home that don't want to get caught up in the gridlock around Blanch Center.
    You are completely missing the point I am making, I am not advocating that Tesco should demolish Roselawn and drop in a Liffeyvalley size behemoth store into the middle of leafy Roselawn.
    I simple believe the shop is not offering the choice it could be and it should be better tailored to the needs of its customers.

That seemed to be exactly what you are saying... Just not in Roselawn...

If they built such a store. I don't think it would replace the role of the Roselawn store as a local shop..

I simple believe the shop is not offering the choice it could be and it should be better tailored to the needs of its customers.

... Maybe you could be more specific. What as a "local" store is it not providing...

Not that I think it's anything special. There are other places that are my first choice for various things. But there's so much choice in other stores, that if I'm really only going to Tesco because it's convenient at the time.

I'm not sure has Tesco as a chain ever been the leader in any one area.

Iv shopped in that store when it was quids worth and I still do. It's so convenient for me as its close to me, also I don't drive. Iv never been bothered by the selection and as I never really had money for it to bother me. This store provides what I need it too. But people doing big shops, Id go to the Cabra store. Nothing can be done with that store unless you build upwards which is highly unrealistic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

... Maybe you could be more specific. What as a "local" store is it not providing...

Bread, it has quite a nice bakery section but it’s never stocked, don’t know why they bother with it. The shop is open until 23:00 but they dispose of any remaining stock at 20:00 and it’s not at reduced prices like they do for other perishable goods but instead bagged up and given to charity as per conversations with staff. Even on weekends there is very rarely any stock present on the shelves and it’s somewhat similar in the Cabra store.
    Would be nice to see a bakery open in the Roselawn centre since Tesco themselves don’t appear too bothered with one of the staples bar the usual premade sliced pans.

Isn't that nature of fresh bread though, its always gone earlier in the day.
    Its not something I'd go to Tesco for, as all my nearer local shops, have pretty much all the bread we need.
    But its true its seems to be lightly stocked in the bread department.
    That said I've never been in there earlier to know is better, earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

The Roselawn shopping center - all owned by Tesco AFIK - is a fantastic shopping center. Nearly always parking and no queue to get in to the carpark. Lots of local shops and a really good selection if you consider it all as a whole. The Tesco is supposed to be one of the most profitable in the country and in other countries there is a move away for mega stores as it takes so long to get anything in them. The similarily old fashioned Tesco is Phibsborough, which has been mentioned earlier as another dreary place is said by many staff to be the most profitable Tesco in Ireland (although figures are never released).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd well believe that they're among the most profitable stores. Apart from the new door, God knows when the last time was that Tesco actually spent any money on Roselawn, and I'd imagine Phibsboro is the same. If you're raking in the money as it is, why eat into your profits for something as frivolous as a makeover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Think the store covers the basics really I go early on a sunday it is always quite that time suits me as they do not have a load of goodies just cooked or baked so i do not get tempted to buy things outside of which i need for the week.It is best suited for doing medium shops really in a fairly quick time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bread, it has quite a nice bakery section but it’s never stocked, don’t know why they bother with it. The shop is open until 23:00 but they dispose of any remaining stock at 20:00 and it’s not at reduced prices like they do for other perishable goods but instead bagged up and given to charity as per conversations with staff. Even on weekends there is very rarely any stock present on the shelves and it’s somewhat similar in the Cabra store.
    Would be nice to see a bakery open in the Roselawn centre since Tesco themselves don’t appear too bothered with one of the staples bar the usual premade sliced pans.

Tesco never bothered with the bakery. Or a proper deli for that matter.

If you want a good bakery you have to go to Supervalu in Blanch Village.

Advertisement