Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

EURO 4 Hi Res showing the gusts associated with showers well on this Run, pad mentioned earlier the heavy showers on the way in later.

I think this model over does the wind speeds a bit but even so looks extremely windy along coastal counties.

It is showing the two strongest rounds of wind following more or less the same track .

So lots of variance in the models even at this stage.

Gaoith ladir mentioned how the exact timing will be important and ' still scope for variations in the next couple of runs'.

anim_uzk9.gif

euro4_uk1-52-36-0_gkx4.png

AfE8YSC.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Being selfish here but what does the above mean for Shannon airport around 11am on Sunday?

Havent been home in months and landong around then

Thanks,

phg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wind starting to pick up here in North County Dublin. Dont think we will get brunt of it here in Dublin but surprised that its that windy already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

PHG wrote: »
    Being selfish here but what does the above mean for Shannon airport around 11am on Sunday?

Havent been home in months and landong around then

Thanks,

phg

You should be fine, however I cannot say, nobody here can say. You're outside the orange warning (which you can see yourself), and the wind direction will be favourable for the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Highest wind ive seen so far has been 93kph in Malin but these are just pre cursor gusts

Still 80kph in Dublin at Midnight means a lot of rattled revellers at early Xmas dos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Bumpy on arrival into Dublin tonight. Windshear warning.
    EIDW WS WRNG 01 VALID 072256/080056 MOD WS IN APCH RWY28 REP AT 2250 BOEING 737-800 LOSS OF 20KT AND GAIN OF 20KT AT 200FT =

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ctdkalf

Big blast of thunder out here in connemara few minutes ago. Power gone in parts here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 18Z

tigIsk5.png

HYI4zGV.png

ZOviliN.png

xqg687r.png

PVdae9I.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kutebride

After an evening of rain in Meath its cleared again to reveal a bright moon. Wasnt expecting that.

Looking very strong for my own neck of the woods on the latest run from the ECM. This looks like an upgrade to me.

The whole county late afternoon early evening it would seem gusting over 120 km/h and a large area 130 km/h and nearer the coasts 140 km/h quite possible.

The very high gusts 150 to 170 km/h are mountains.

It goes without saying that people on coasts and high ground need to be careful with this.

K1aKpfG.png

GthmnzM.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Really not looking forward to this given my location up high in the Reeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

anim_uzk9.gif

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c955935b7287dfde07477fa65bd573d77ada88cb&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Ferocious hail shower here now. Central Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Eerily calm in Cork City at the moment. Funny considering what is forecast to hit us tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

100kph malin

Already yellow exceeded

137kph mace amarach in Gaeltacht my prediction n 131 n Malin 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The track on the morning models takes the first batch of winds further South. From an imby point of view watch out Cork 3pm to 6pm as it's looking quite severe on latest runs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Ferocious hail shower here now. Central Mayo

Ah thank you. I was woken earlier by what sounded like the Christmas drummers on the roof.. Aluminium roof so very loud..

Ferocious winds now and squally showers. All set here; door held by the old dog lead looped through the grab rail and the door handle so it cannot fly open.. "Food in the eating place, fire in the heating place" as the old Celtic Irish blessing has it.

"Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!"

West mayo offshore island.
    Blissfully happily marooned and could enjoy staying this way until after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

If I were Met Eireann I think I would put the whole country on orange as with 2 swathes of wind hitting it looks the safest call. Certainly places like Waterford should be upped! Dublin also..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A squall has winds gusting over 70km/hr already here in Kilkenny but I am on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pauldry wrote: »
    100kph malin

Already yellow exceeded

137kph mace amarach in Gaeltacht my prediction n 131 n Malin 2nd

Yellow is up to 110km/h?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

With the spread of detailed results on guidance, trying to be too specific on times and places seems pointless. One wave will probably impact the southwest hardest around late afternoon and a second wave will hit in the north and/or northwest around 8-9 p.m. and transfer rapidly through central counties towards Dublin through the late evening. The system looks potent to me on latest satellite imagery.

The more northerly component of the second wave in particular will be unusual for recent events and may catch some out because impacts will not be shielded or enhanced in the usual ways. Strongest winds could be 320 or even 330 deg in that second batch (280-300 in the first one).

I expect quite a variety of reports on here ranging from very bad to unexpectedly moderate, all depends on your exposure to the northwest (more like west for the earlier time frame). In either case, it does not look to be long-duration, should blow through in 2-4 hours of strong winds and gusts. Would watch Finner Camp and Knock for severe gusts rivalling the two traditional spots (Mace and Malin), also Valentia with the first wave, even Shannon.

It has even in the last few minutes greatly intensified and deteriorated.

Fiercer squalls and hail with the rain. Volume ramped up :rolleyes:

Was not expecting it so early, and rather apprehensive about later in the day.

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Nice and calm in Dublin at the moment. We shall wait till later on.
    I hear the planes landing and taking off OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Just had a flash of lightning. Not sure how near it is due to wind noise. Checked ME and there are flashes of the coast. NW Clare. Will thunder/lightning be a feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Nice and calm in Dublin at the moment. We shall wait till later on.
    I hear the planes landing and taking off OK.

Just back from dropping my daughter to work 30 mins ago near Dublin airport and it's foul out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Howling wind in Limerick now

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Just back from dropping my daughter to work 30 mins ago near Dublin airport and it's foul out there.
    small little gusts in swords. the trees outside are barely moving.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Very heavy Hail showers in kanturk cork and big gusts

RoisinD wrote: »
    Just had a flash of lightning. Not sure how near it is due to wind noise. Checked ME and there are flashes of the coast. NW Clare. Will thunder/lightning be a feature?

Honourable mention of thunder and lightning on the latest met. ie forecasts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

Graces7 wrote: »
    Honourable mention of thunder and lightning on the latest met. ie forecasts ;)

A few flashes in east Galway about an hour ago.

Advertisement