Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

savj2 wrote: »
    Is there likely to be another upgrade for the remainder of the country?

Unlikely I’d say orange is sufficient enough. Although I’d be a bit suspicious about SW parts of Clare they look to perhaps catch the strongest winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »
    Although I’d be a bit suspicious about SW parts of Clare they look to perhaps catch the strongest winds.

You called?

Live updates from 6pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

North Cork, a sudden darkening and strong winds. Now back to sunshine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

TheDriver wrote: »
    North Cork, a sudden darkening and strong winds. Now back to sunshine again.

Yeah a heavy shower just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some strong squalls in Castlebar, a max gust of 102 km/hr so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Water John wrote: »
    Rang a hotel in West Cork to know was an event this evening going ahead. Didn't know what I was talking about.

Is it run by the Mayor from Jaws assisted by the Townspeople from Danté's peak?

They'll get the message when the power goes out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Windy last night and this morning in athlone died off now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

lcasey90 wrote: »
    Windy last night and this morning in athlone died off now

Stay tuned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_xsi1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

On the sofa with a hangover... love this weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Red alert issued by Met Eireann for Kerry - RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Kerry gone to red as mentioned above. Was probably a very close call not to include Cork also based on that TAF.
    Hope it does , they might replace it with one that works!

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Right off to take the dog for a walk in cork city. I shall report back as to what it’s like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sdanseo wrote: »
    Kerry gone to red as mentioned above. Was probably a very close call not to include Cork also based on that TAF.

Knocks TAF has gusts 7kts higher!

Cork's forecast max is 58kts, 107km/h, which puts it in Yellow criteria, not red.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Brrrrpppppp, fierce strong winds in East Galway now. Weird kinda morning, very calm and sun and blue skies, then ferocious winds - then repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lot of black in dem gusts. winds circa 90mph +

is that not hurricane territory?

ventusky

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Stay tuned.

Eagerly, I love a storm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Knocks TAF has gusts 7kts higher!

Cork's forecast max is 58kts, 107km/h, which puts it in Yellow criteria, not red.

Airport not on south west coast like parts of west cork which would be close to red

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking at ventusky its a case of "the storms coming Atiyah"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Is this fast moving storm, red between 2 and four o clock for Kerry, wish they could have let us know earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Talking to folk and there is some confusion as it was a stormy night here in the NW last night and with the sunshine between the showers now, people think the big storm was last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

goat2 wrote: »
    Is this fast moving storm, red between 2 and four o clock for Kerry, wish they could have let us know earlier

At the moment it is a now cast.
    It's not that easy to nail down things exactly . Now they will have information from ships and bouys coming in.
    2 hours for any event to be cancelled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

goat2 wrote: »

No, the red warning for Kerry is valid from 4pm to 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Talking to folk and there is some confusion as it was a stormy night here in the NW last night and with the sunshine between the showers now, people think the big storm was last night.

Agreed. Similar in the Midlands. Even 2 lows and 2 bouts of wind confuses people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lightning returns showing the convective nature of this system.

LwyCbn9.png

m0XJ7RE.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Is this another false warning alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Right on the coast here near Kinsale but there has been nothing out of the ordinary all day to be honest. Just normal amount of wind for here all last night and this morning. Interesting to hear about the reports from around the country that are so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Mother reckons I'm pure daft after getting her to stay in the sisters last night. I tried to explain to her that tonight will be way worst but her or my sister is hearing none of it. The brother of course started on about the hype and silliness and that there's no storm coming, just a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That is down to pure ignorance,if people bother to stay tuned to weather reports read the timings for the weather warnings.
    Listing to the raido or look on the internet plenty of information for everyone of every age to be up to date with things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

How can there be confusion? FFS all they have to do is check the forecast and take notice of the warnings.

Advertisement