Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ZX7R wrote: »
    That is down to pure ignorance,if people bother to stay tuned to weather reports read the timings for the weather warnings.
    Listing to the raido or look on the internet plenty of information for everyone of every age to be up to date with things.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yes a very Squally type of storm...one minute its like what storm its so calm the next minute your're blown away:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was wild last night and this morning in Dublin. Seems calmer now. Think the worst has passed us now thank goodness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

revelman wrote: »
    Right on the coast here near Kinsale but there has been nothing out of the ordinary all day to be honest. Just normal amount of wind for here all last night and this morning. Interesting to hear about the reports from around the country that are so different.

Same in my area, 15km north of Bandon, at the moment but it will be a different story by mid to late afternoon if the forecast is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Kerry Airport's TAF has gusts to 65 knots up to 8 pm. The high gust factor implies that the main gusts will be convective and hence localised.

TAF EIKY 081100Z 0812/0821 26022G40KT 9999 FEW015 BKN030
    TEMPO 0812/0821 5000 SHRAGS BKN014 BKN018CB
    BECMG 0814/0816 26028G50KT
    BECMG 0816/0818 29033G53KT
    TEMPO 0818/0820 30035G65KT=

And that 65 knots for Knock is much more like it. Was surprised that they only put 48 kts in the 5 am TAF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Holy crap. Just had near enough lighting and thunder simultaneously. Thunder sounded like it was right above my head it was a seriously loud bang.

Near Leitrim coast.

I was thinking i heard a few rumbles earlier this morning
    Rathcormac side of Sligo town.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Was wild last night and this morning in Dublin. Seems calmer now. Think the worst has passed us now thank goodness

I don't think so. The actual storm hasnt hit kerry yet.

Talking to folk and there is some confusion as it was a stormy night here in the NW last night and with the sunshine between the showers now, people think the big storm was last night.

Was talking to folk out this morning and they were confused because the Sun went down yesterday and now it's back up again and they don't know if it's still yesterday or is it tomorrow now?

Oh actually, now I think of it, I was just chatting away to the sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Out on the farm about an hour ago, where the house is is really sheltered from the West, but I had to get out the passenger door of the van the wind was so strong. Got blown around the place feeding some stock. We're just a few km from Mace Head. Very strong winds from the West mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can we please leave the "Kerry people are thick" posts over in After Hours please.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Can we please leave the "Kerry people are thick" posts over in After Hours please.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Where did you see that?

Sheep post, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

ZX7R wrote: »
    That is down to pure ignorance,if people bother to stay tuned to weather reports read the timings for the weather warnings.
    Listing to the raido or look on the internet plenty of information for everyone of every age to be up to date with things.

While that's true in the round, it's not true with older folk. And being bamboozled by the likes of George Lee on the national broadcaster wouldn't help. If people want redtop entertainment, they buy it.

I am told there's power outages around Tullamore. Extremely sudden and bád lightning earlier at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I don't think so. The actual storm hasnt hit kerry yet.

Was on the phone to family in Kerry , they've had no electricity since early morning , and as you say , it hasn't even hit yet !

Sorry, just misinterpreted some of the earlier posts as having a go at Kerry/Country/Western folk (delete as appropriate).
    Carry on. (But please stay civil to everyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I walked along the shore West of Galway a while ago. Periods of normal wind intersperced with violent gusts associated with the showers. The gusts seem to come out of nowhere & are seriously strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Things starting to get sexy in athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Was talking to folk out this morning and they were confused because the Sun went down yesterday and now it's back up again and they don't know if it's still yesterday or is it tomorrow now?

Oh actually, now I think of it, I was just chatting away to the sheep.

If frontline workers had your level of logical Germanic precision and lack of empathy, a lot of vulnerable people would end up in harm's way.

Yes, there's lots of update forecasts. People still can get confused. Chill out with the sarky venom people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

She has arrived on Galway now gusting over 60mph on my station

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Talking to folk and there is some confusion as it was a stormy night here in the NW last night and with the sunshine between the showers now, people think the big storm was last night.

Yep. afraid so! Although not a hint of sunshine out here and no respites

This has been overtures and beginners! The symphony will be heard later..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Stay on Topic please. Efforts at trolling and dragging the thread off topic will only lead to appropriate action being taken. Lets keep it civil and friendly as it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The ESB power check map (app) is showing loads of faults already.mostly caused by lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

An Ri rua wrote: »
    While that's true in the round, it's not true with older folk. And being bamboozled by the likes of George Lee on the national broadcaster wouldn't help. If people want redtop entertainment, they buy it.

I am told there's power outages around Tullamore. Extremely sudden and bád lightning earlier at 11.

I am insulted;as a near octagenarian I am very au fait with all of this... And I never use the radio.

REALLY! …

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There she blows, I hope this one leaves my letterbox behind, eastish Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

These charts show the probabilities where gusts will reach or exceed 64 knots for over the next 12hrs (from this morning's European run)

3pm:

SKQrs81.png

6pm:
    rVa8P16.png

9pm:
    8vZPI01.png

Midnight tonight:
    N6QiGgr.png

Basically, the higher the number shown (or the warmer the colour) on the charts, the greater chance that gusts reaching or exceeding these speeds will occur. That is not to say that everywhere within these coloured zones will see such speeds, or that areas outside them won't, it's just more about given a general guide.

I'll try to update these charts upon release of the 06z run if need be.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of convective showers going through.

6.6mm here near Tralee.

W winds avg 26 km/h atm, windy but not too high apart from the showers.

6rxUpsl.gif

rafales_uk_vax7.png

There's a Gulf jet on the way into Kerry airport with a Ryanair flight not far behind.
    Lets see if they can land in the current conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Todays actually ok a day in Sligo. Not too many showers and wind about 70kph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭endainoz

Things getting quite wild in North Clare, can't see the power lasting too much longer.

Advertisement