Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MilitaryRoad

ATC at Cork have just called in average wind speed of 21KTs gusting to 31KTS, pilot responded asking for options on a go around in case landing isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Windy has a nice feature of weather station info thats updated hourly for reported wind gusts
    https://www.windy.com/-Wind-gusts-gust?gust,52.024,-8.470,8
    If link doesnt work go to the bottom right above the different forecast models and choose the icon with the wind sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Very dark here now in South Co Limerick, lights and tv flickering, hope electricity doesn't go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Well beyond the 31-33kts gust cross wind limit for a Boeing 737 to be able to land in so maybe expect a lot of diversions based on a 58kt figure.

you're confusing wind strength with cross wind. 58kt wind strength from 280 degrees (westerly) is 0 cross wind for a flight landing in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ATC at Cork have just called in average wind speed of 21KTs gusting to 31KTS, pilot responded asking for options on a go around in case landing isn't possible.

Direction is important here, it's from 250° which is a complete crosswind on RWY16/34.

I'd say the Aviation and Aircraft fourm (flightradar thread) is better for these posts as they just get lost here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Wesht Cark earlier (before noon).

Across the water from Sneem. The weather is slowly starting to pick up thereafter on our commute home to the big schmoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Link for anyone who wants to listen to the live air traffic control tower radio feed at Cork Airport...

https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=eick2_s

No arrivals until 6.25 estimated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

155kph at Fastnet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Direction of the northern low appears to be from about 340 to 350 deg which tends to favour the western solutions, peak winds for Donegal Bay and north Connacht would be around 2100-2300h.

Peak winds for Dublin may be something like 0100-0300h. That may lessen disruption as air traffic at a minimum then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    155kph at Fastnet

Who said Cork shouldn’t be red?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Will be interesting to see what actually comes ashore wind wise. Nothing significant in mid cork yet expecting a rapid deterioration in the next 90min.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gone apocalyptically dark here.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sryanbruen wrote: »
    To finish off an earlier discussion, Storm Darwin also had a red wind warning. Here's all the red national warnings that have been issued by Met Éireann that I could think of or find.

And yes, the usual storm comparison table will come tomorrow or sometime during the week.

7IVHcxb.png

Storm Darwin was upgraded to red for Kilkenny and some other areas when the storm was at full impact with trees falling, roofs blown off and electricity gone.
    So they were very late for that storm in most parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy showers in cork city (Mahon point at the moment). Dark skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

The Fastnet is off shore and high up, conditions inland and at ground level not so severe.

Nothing unusual in Cork city at present, but I would not be volunteering for a trip out around the Fastnet. It all depends on your specific location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clamball wrote: »
    The Fastnet is off shore and high up, conditions inland and at ground level not so severe.

Nothing unusual in Cork city at present, but I would not be volunteering for a trip out around the Fastnet. It all depends on your specific location.

Indeed it’s not really representative of any conditions likely onshore. Although it’s always interesting to see what it does record out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Cumbria England this morning
    wpgCwK7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Clamball wrote: »

I was joking. Well aware where the fastnet rock
    Is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

RVy8MN5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Most windy its been here in a very long time, had an unpleasant jog by Killiney beach earlier, power of the wind was impressive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pretty normal windy day in Galway with some strong gusts and heavy showers nothing out of the ordinary for this part of the Country I was expecting worse to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looks like the center of that first low will more pass over N. Kerry now than Clare, with, as M.T mentioned earlier, the strongest of the winds being to the south of it initially, but following on from its more western flank as it pushes further SE'wards. Winds here in S. Connacht still westerly and blustery but nothing of norm.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Pretty normal windy day in Galway with some strong gusts and heavy showers nothing out of the ordinary for this part of the Country I was expecting worse to be honest

Round 1 is only getting started now, mostly affecting the far SW. Round 2 will be from about 20:00 onwards mostly affecting the W and NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Calm in Tralee at present, i(n fact it was much wilder late morning,) but going by Meteorite's post above not for much longer! Hope the folks on the coast aren't hit too hard by flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Calm in Tralee at present, i(n fact it was much wilder late morning,) but going by Meteorite's post above not for much longer! Hope the folks on the coast aren't hit too hard by flooding.

The Ryanair flight to Stansted left Kerry Airport ten mins ago without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Storm 10 wrote: »

Yeah unfortunately met Éireann got it wrong for Western areas and have failed to revise their forecast accordingly, the severest winds will be in the southwest and later in the North, they just don't have the resources seemingly and fail to communicate this in the forecast warnings. Just a normal windy winters day here on the coast in Mayo.

Facebook showed me a post I made this day last year. It went "Fierce windy out there. I've the kettle on".

Bit of Deja vu right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »
    Flying out of Knock Airport this afternoon.. wish me luck! :eek:
    All good bar torrential rain.

Ropey enough landing in Bristol... weather not much better over here.

Stay safe all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The Ryanair flight to Stansted left Kerry Airport ten mins ago without any problems.

That's good. If Kerry Airport was on the Dingle Peninsula it wouldn't be going anywhere . Wind picking up here (Tralee) in last 2-3 mins

Advertisement