Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After picking up the last 20 mins or so ,10 min avg 35 km/h NW gusting over 70 km/h here near Tralee.

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/1203710586791424000?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Breezy in West Limerick now. Not too bad so far. Had a few claps of thunder earlier today and a few squally showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yeah unfortunately met Éireann got it wrong for Western areas and have failed to revise their forecast accordingly, the severest winds will be in the southwest and later in the North, they just don't have the resources seemingly and fail to communicate this in the forecast warnings. Just a normal windy winters day here on the coast in Mayo.

Strongest of the winds were never forecast for the NW until later on this evening.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Strongest of the winds were never forecast for the NW until later on this evening.

I don't live in the northwest, I was referring to the West, where I live and the where the previous poster lives who's post I was replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

One or two heavy squalls but nothing we don't see several times each winter. Almost calm between the showers. See what the evening brings.... Between North Sligo and South Donegal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Normal day so far here on the coast near Kinsale. We are in a pretty exposed place near the sea so we can get battered by wind and rain many days of the year. Nothing unusual about today at all. I guess it could turn much worse later (hope not because I’m flying to England tonight from Cork airport).

By the way, it must be a difficult call for ME to classify these storms and their system means that a county as big as Cork has to be the same colour even though that might not make much sense in practical terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yeah unfortunately met Éireann got it wrong for Western areas and have failed to revise their forecast accordingly, the severest winds will be in the southwest and later in the North, they just don't have the resources seemingly and fail to communicate this in the forecast warnings. Just a normal windy winters day here on the coast in Mayo.

Long time till 06:00 Monday morning when the weather warning expires.
    Still could be warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Fairly normal winters day here in Letterkenny as well bar a few rumbles of thunder earlier. Blustery with beefy showers but was far stormier around 9-10pm last night

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Is this indicating it's going offshore past cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

ZX7R wrote: »
    Long time till 06:00 Monday morning when the weather warning expires.
    Still could be warranted.

Mace head got up to the Orange zone (Just about) in the last hour so from that point of view it has already proved to be warranted and with the worst forecast for between now and midnight.

aisling86 wrote: »
    Is this indicating it's going offshore past cork?

The strongest winds will be offshore, but still windy inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Usually we would have some lingering twilight at this time, even on overcast evenngs, but totally dark now, and it only twenty to five.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Power gone, Bantry East. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

gone crazy here West of Dingle - full on gusts and very blowy
    Just filled a wheelie bin full of water so it wont blow away - mad I tall ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fairly starting up again in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

revelman wrote: »
    Normal day so far here on the coast near Kinsale. We are in a pretty exposed place near the sea so we can get battered by wind and rain many days of the year. Nothing unusual about today at all. I guess it could turn much worse later (hope not because I’m flying to England tonight from Cork airport).

By the way, it must be a difficult call for ME to classify these storms and their system means that a county as big as Cork has to be the same colour even though that might not make much sense in practical terms.

Good luck on that flight, I’d say it’ll be bumpy. A lot of flights to and from Cork airport are cancelled this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Sh1t just got real. North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

dball wrote: »
    gone crazy here West of Dingle - full on gusts and very blowy
    Just filled a wheelie bin full of water so it wont blow away - mad I tall ya

You anywhere near Cuan Pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Counted 64 trawlers sheltering or tied up in Castletownbere on Marine Traffic French, Irish ,Spanish and a cargo ship

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Quiet enough in west Galway. Wet and cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Is the first big false flag imminent? Nothing remotely approaching red warning levels being recorded anywhere on land and many places, even in the west, haven't been much above a basic yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Next hour is expected to bring peak gusts in Kerry, but further north peak will be 9 to 11 pm later this evening. The storm in that case is still developing west of the Hebrides, moving south. Large parts of the west are currently between the two energy peaks and will experience a lull in wind speeds lasting to about 7-8 p.m.

Would expect a fairly rapid onset of this second strong wind phase in Connacht and west Ulster as gradients will intensify quickly due to the acceleration of the low. It will be making landfall near Derry or Inishowen about 9 p.m. and will be into the central Irish Sea by midnight, so it's tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Is the first big false flag imminent? Nothing remotely approaching red warning levels being recorded anywhere on land and many places, even in the west, haven't been much above a basic yellow.

These are the worst winds I've seen in Tralee in a few years, and that's including some Orange level storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

A normal winter's day in Cork with a bit of rain.
    I know that some people thrive in this stuff but getting very cynical about all these weather and storm warnings.
    It's like they are deliberately trying to make the general population more fearful and apprehensive.
    It used to be the case that a bit of rain was seen as a normal everyday occurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Counted 64 trawlers sheltering or tied up in Castletownbere on Marine Traffic French, Irish ,Spanish and a cargo ship

That’s a good piss up in the local so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That’s a good piss up in the local so.

Majority of them are not tied up just riding out the storm in sheltered area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Next hour is expected to bring peak gusts in Kerry, but further north peak will be 9 to 11 pm later this evening. The storm in that case is still developing west of the Hebrides, moving south. Large parts of the west are currently between the two energy peaks and will experience a lull in wind speeds lasting to about 7-8 p.m.

Would expect a fairly rapid onset of this second strong wind phase in Connacht and west Ulster as gradients will intensify quickly due to the acceleration of the low. It will be making landfall near Derry or Inishowen about 9 p.m. and will be into the central Irish Sea by midnight, so it's tracking.

Thanks MT, that's informative and makes sense - we are certainly in a lull in Galway now. It's not even as bad as last night now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I've been in constant contact with my mother on bere island. She says it's very bad the last hour.

Advertisement