Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

West of Dingle ... wild night but nothing out of the ordinary ... Just came back from a stroll with the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    As they used to say "Get a life" This is getting silly. How we really become this over sensitive and anxious. We have turned into a nation of snowflakes.

I'm describing my local weather conditions on a weather forum, from a town whose topography normally shields it from extreme winds even during the worst storms. This kind of information tends to be of interest to those interested in weather events . I'm neither being anxious or silly to be concerned for people who live in very exposed places on the Dingle peninsula such as the Maherees, which is just a few miles from Tralee and has been quite literally cut off from the rest of the mainland during storms in the past.

Perhaps you could try not being so rude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Is Tipperary suppose to be bad tonight, i have to drive from clonmel to thurles, hoping the roads aren't to bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Good luck on that flight, I’d say it’ll be bumpy. A lot of flights to and from Cork airport are cancelled this evening.

If revelman is referring to the scheduled 8pm flight to London Heathrow, that flight has been cancelled and I would think there will be more to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. So is the storm tonight?

It's calm here in the nw, been like that for quite a while.

Whereas last night was very windy.
    Not over on the NW coast! I struggled to stay upright a few hours ago at the coast.

But yes, as I understand it, the storm that is to hit here will come later tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. So is the storm tonight?

It's calm here in the nw, been like that for quite a while.

Whereas last night was very windy.

NW was always going to be an evening/night event.
    I didn't notice much wind last night just outside Newport in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

easypazz wrote: »
    Seems to be the general state of play in most areas.

In Ennis, the only drama of note has been the spectacular lightening display around a hour or so ago. Other that that it just a typical soft day in the Banner county's county town. A word of caution though, I live at a very sheltered area in the town.

If there was only 300 or so homes without power in Kerry where the red warning is continuing until 7 in the Kingdom, according to RTE's Paschal Sheedy, then Met Eireann should be prepared for the "mother of all" criticisms come tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Good luck on that flight, I’d say it’ll be bumpy. A lot of flights to and from Cork airport are cancelled this evening.

From what I see however is the cancelled flights to / from Cork are in the main those made using turbo prop short haul? Thats understandable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

If revelman is referring to the scheduled 8pm flight to London Heathrow, that flight has been cancelled and I would think there will be more to follow.

Definitely. Ryanair seem to be the only one with scheduled flights - I imagine they’ll be diverted or cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Lots of reports of trees down in Kerry now.
    I hope this one below is just a minor problem.
    https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1203741263847133185

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

The wind is certainly a lot stronger here in Cork city within the last half hour after barely been breezy all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lots of reports of trees down in Kerry now.
    https://twitter.com/countykerry/status/1203741263847133185

Hope nobody injured. Such a nightmare that, pure bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wavert

Cork Lass wrote:
    2 flights holding off the south coast now. Ryanair flights from Gatwick and Malta.

Looks like they diverting to Dublin and Shannon.

wavert wrote: »
    Looks like they diverting to Dublin and Shannon.

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1203742190326951938

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am just choosing my dog walking time. The sudden gusts tell me that a shower is close without looking at the radar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Getting going in cork city now .....

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Getting going in cork city now .....

Pretty wild in mid cork the last half an hour house is rocking

aisling86 wrote: »

Same here in the city ,very wild now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yes the lights have been flickering here for the last half an hour too. I hope the electricity stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭thomil

Definitely gotten a whole lot stronger here in Ballincollig. Winds are rattling the entire building, window panes in the living room visibly flexing, and the gusts are coming fast and hard now from northerly directions.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport now gusting 50 knots @ 1830. was just gusting 35 knots @ 1800

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

Will be interesting to see what actually comes ashore wind wise. Nothing significant in mid cork yet expecting a rapid deterioration in the next 90min.

If the wind map is anything to go by it looks like The Mizen area of west cork is getting the heaviest wind so far from this storm.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am insulted;as a near octagenarian I am very au fait with all of this... And I never use the radio.

REALLY! …

;)

Have to say that in my experience the older folk have a much better grasp and interest in the weather and weather forecasts than any other demographic. Talk of old people being confused and befuddled by forecasts and warnings is utter nonsense. Far more likely to find 20 somethings confused by conflicting Facebook 'reports'.
    Stay safe Graces7. Keep your phone charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sherkin now streaking ahead with an official gust reading of 68 knots (126km/h).

Getting frightening now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I think its a dud for my location.

Went down to Derrynane about 45mins ago, pretty stormy, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Seems that although it was wild in the very north around Tralee it never made an impression on this side of the mountains.

600 FT asl - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A few degrees colder and it would be heavy snow here.
    4.7C, DP 3.5C, rain rate 10.2mm/hr and the wind is not too bad at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well been watching the NFL on my tv since 6pm and in the last ten to fifteen minutes even with the volume up high enough I can still easily hear the wind.

Advertisement