Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I felt that snowy thing in the air, earlier - really chilly.
    All's quiet now in Sligo.
    Someone asked me today we're we okay after the storm last night? The weather was pretty terrible earlier, thunder, hail.
    Hoping we are just about inland enough to avoid the Orange.

South Sligo
    90M ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

Flights not even bothering with Cork now. Luton going straight to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

cork city centre - facing north in south side - serious wind hitting the house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Fairly quiet at the moment near Limerick City.

According to Flight Radar 24 a Ryanair flight from London Luton to Cork is heading straight to Shannon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_zky7.png

• Advertisement

33 knots at Cork Airport according to FR24 and only 19 knots now at Shannon - it's like the winds are going in a different trachectory than I first thought I would have assumed them moving up the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Outside Limerick City is breezy at the moment, but nothing extreme to report.

More of a river estuary than a coastal county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pretzill wrote: »
    33 knots at Cork Airport according to FR24 and only 19 knots now at Shannon - it's like the winds are going in a different trachectory than I first thought I would have assumed them moving up the West.

Nope first wave that hit the west is moving in a south east direction. MT outlined this in his forecast earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Knocks taff down to 48knts was showing 65knts earlier 2day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Stormy enough now in Cork
    Nothing exceptional but justifing an orange warning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Roche's Point has come in with the highest gust of the event to date.

Gusting to 69 knots in the last hour or 128km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Just watching the Katowice flight now, seems to be heading to Cork as opposed to Shannon or Dublin.

Nope first wave that hit the west is moving in a south east direction. MT outlined this in his forecast earlier.

Like the gusts, I'm only in and out on the thread tonight - fairplay MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Stormy enough now in Cork
    Nothing exceptional but justifing an orange warning

Funny that, you were calling for red warnings yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME gone back to Orange was a Red necessary in Kerry going by posters here it was not

If MODS could remove the red level from the thread would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

it is the North south orientation of the main runway with howling westerly wind is a big issue at Cork Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Now attention will turn to the northwest where the next shot of strong winds will come from in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Electric just back on in east Galway.2 hours gone.
    Many thanks to the good people out working in this weather to get it back going.
    If ye are reading this many thanks,it’s much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Ah well, yet again many of us who follow the weather are made look like fools again. Winds barely reached gale force in the NW and with the exception of one or two squally showers, a typical December day. The hype is unreal.

If people are posting their forecasts in what they know is a public and popular forum, ie this one, they need to be prepared to get stick when same forecasts are wrong. Even the media consult this thread. No where other than Kerry and Cork warranted a orange warning. The rest of the country didn't even need a yellow. Lots of events around the country cancelled based on yet another way off the mark forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Raining cells here in blessington,co.wiclow but nothing major
    Safe home to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Now attention will turn to the northwest where the next shot of strong winds will come from in the next few hours.

Will they not be countrywide though?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm very annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

45 gust 69 knots at Roches Point at 7 pm. 33 gust 68 knots at Sherkin Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Sorry if I missed the explanation, but how is it that some flights due into Cork this evening were cancelled earlier today, while others (like Katowice now) are landing no problem?

EDIT Katowice just turned around I think.. But the question remains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ME gone back to Orange was a Red necessary in Kerry going by posters here it was not

Wasn't the red for Kerry only from 4 to 7? Presumably it has "gone back" to orange because the red warning has finished.

There's a strange trend of people saying "I told you so" in here this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Just watching the Katowice flight now, seems to be heading to Cork as opposed to Shannon or Dublin.

Seems to be having seconds thoughts now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Mardyke wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed the explanation, but how is it that some flights due into Cork this evening were cancelled earlier today, while others (like Katowice now) are landing no problem?

A lot of the canceled ones were smaller aircraft, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

Will they not be countrywide though?

I believe the next batch of NW winds will move south eastwards across the country throughout this evening and tomorrow morning

Advertisement