Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'm very annoyed.

Mod Note: Little snowy old me got a warning for trolling. Dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Mardyke wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed the explanation, but how is it that some flights due into Cork this evening were cancelled earlier today, while others (like Katowice now) are landing no problem?

Nothing has landed for hours. They have all been diverted to either Shannon or Dublin. The Katowice flight is in a holding pattern off the coast. That will likely be diverted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'd have to agree on the warning system being ott
    In the 80s this would just be a wet and windy day!!
    The media won't be long getting bored of it but I suppose it's up to Met Eireann to dampen hype when the see it going awol
    It was a difficult one to call for the southwest but I did say yesterday that slight downgrades were showing on the models.
    In general I think Met Eireann do a great job it's the fake news brigade that dominate our world though unfortunately

Some posters may find it beneficial to visit the watches and clocks forum and learn how to tell the time before posting here.

Not far from Leitrim coast and winds picking up a little bit after a quiet enough few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

I'd have to agree on the warning system being ott
    In the 80s this would just be a wet and windy day!!
    The media won't be long getting bored of it but I suppose it's up to Met Eireann to dampen hype when the see it going awol
    It was a difficult one to call for the southwest but I did say yesterday that slight downgrades were showing on the models.
    In general I think Met Eireann do a great job it's the fake news brigade that dominate our world though unfortunately

It's not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A person could live on a hill and be absolutely pummelled by winds, and a person not far away on the same hill but on the opposite side could be having a far more pleasant experience as the hill is shielding them from the strongest winds.
    A lot of weather is local and a forecast can be as local as possible but inevitably it is a forecast of the generals position.
    It is easy to say it isn't bad when one's own location is not badly affected, but it ignorant to think what one is experiencing in their own location is the general position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Rougies wrote: »
    Seems to be having seconds thoughts now!

The Katowice flight is in a holding pattern east of cork but could head to Dublin or Shannon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Little snowy old me taking time off the forum for abusive post that was removed.

Stay on topic. If you have a problem with a post report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

A lot of trees down in Cork county going by cork safety alerts website.

• Advertisement

rafales_uk_unr1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

RobertKK wrote: »
    A lot of weather is local and a forecast can be as local as possible but inevitably it is a forecast of the generals position.
    It is easy to say it isn't bad when one's own location is not badly affected, but it ignorant to think what one is experiencing in their own location is the general position.

This should be quoted front and centre on Met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

A lot of trees down in Cork county going by cork safety alerts website.

One after falling on a car not far from me. Hope the are uninjured.

I think the warnings were definitely necessary for Cork,it's been very bad for the last hour or more,there are trees down in a few places according to FB,lots of events were cancelled/postponed, it's all about safety imo and I'd doubt there's much traffic around here atm,its really bad out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

A thought ... In Co Cork any many reports now of power outs

SO it might be timely in general for people to charge up there devices if well down ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Electric just back on in east Galway.2 hours gone.
    Many thanks to the good people out working in this weather to get it back going.
    If ye are reading this many thanks,it’s much appreciated

Thankfully ours just flickered a few times, still have the torch in my pocket though. Can hear the wind in the chimney again.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭SophieLockhart

RobertKK wrote: »
    A person could live on a hill and be absolutely pummelled by winds, and a person not far away on the same hill but on the opposite side could be having a far more pleasant experience as the hill is shielding them from the strongest winds.

It's just that the storms of the 80s and 90s seemed to be bad no matter what side of the hill you were on. Maybe they'll have to include hill alignments in the forecast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

aidanodr wrote: »
    Dare I say that for the most part Cork ( bar maybe the most westerly part ) didnt merit any colour at all today so far?

At most a standard blustery winters day?

SO it might be timely in general for people to charge up there devices if well down ..

How quickly things change ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Can see the power outages creeping east. The line is running north from cork at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I think the warnings were definitely necessary for Cork,it's been very bad for the last hour or more,there are trees down in a few places according to FB,lots of events were cancelled/postponed, it's all about safety imo and I'd doubt there's much traffic around here atm,its really bad out there.

Maybe though, like Kerry a bit of a fine tune would have been appropriate. Either no colour or a Yellow up to about 6pm then Orange for a period after that?

As opposed to Orange all the time. Kerry switched to red, then back to orange?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

There will be a huge variation depending on where you live regarding major wind events. On nights like these I consider myself fortunate to be living in a relatively sheltered low-lying area. If we get a major rain event though, completely different story.

Does anyone else think that it was a bit premature of Met Eireann, to discontinue the red alert warning for Kerry, when winds are peaking at over 120 km/hr around the Southwest coast as of 7 o'clock. Would not be surprised if we get a new red warning elsewhere imo before night is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Ah well, yet again many of us who follow the weather are made look like fools again. Winds barely reached gale force in the NW and with the exception of one or two squally showers, a typical December day. The hype is unreal.

If people are posting their forecasts in what they know is a public and popular forum, ie this one, they need to be prepared to get stick when same forecasts are wrong. Even the media consult this thread. No where other than Kerry and Cork warranted a orange warning. The rest of the country didn't even need a yellow. Lots of events around the country cancelled based on yet another way off the mark forecast.

Name one media outlet that would consult an anoymous forum for there forecasts full of amateur enthusiast of weather.......

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

Maybe though, like Kerry a bit of a fine tune would have been appropriate. Either no colour or a Yellow up to about 6pm then Orange for a period after that?

As opposed to Orange all the time. Kerry switched to red, then back to orange?

I believe the red warning was for 16:00 - 19:00 only

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Turning stormy now here in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not kicking off again yet in the northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

ZX7R wrote: »
    Name one media outlet that would consult an anoymous forum for there forecasts full of amateur enthusiast of weather.......

Joe.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Turning stormy now here in Castlebar.

She’s bad all the time in Galway east.wind is whipping all day a lot of rain fell.
    Side Roads are dicey

Mooooo wrote: »
    Joe.ie?

Would not define that as a media outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Nothing has landed for hours. They have all been diverted to either Shannon or Dublin. The Katowice flight is in a holding pattern off the coast. That will likely be diverted too.

Stupid from Ryanair that they didnt reschedule some of these flights. Especially the flights in around 6pm. 45 minutes earlier and they would have had no problem landing.

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    Stupid from Ryanair that they didnt reschedule some of these flights. Especially the flights in around 6pm. 45 minutes earlier and they would have had no problem landing.

Not as easy as it sounds to reschedule flights.

Advertisement