Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Aer Lingus flights 386 and 387 this evening from Shannon to Heathrow and return are cancelled.

Forecasting the weather is not an easy job. In hindsight Cork should have got the red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Showers turning increasingly wintry in Letterkenny, hail and sleet in the last few

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Aer Lingus flights 386 and 387 this evening from Shannon to Heathrow and return are cancelled.

Forecasting the weather is not an easy job. In hindsight Cork should have got the red warning.

Probably orange was fine. Don’t think anywhere inland measured over 130kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Showers turning increasingly wintry in Letterkenny, hail and sleet in the last few

I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of ninja snow was to be seen falling at lower levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

ZX7R wrote: »
    Not as easy as it sounds to reschedule flights.

Maybe but possibly easier than having an aircraft, crew and passengers land at a different airport causing a knock on that will affect their operation into tomorrow as well as the cost of it all. Especially considering they knew a strong cross wind was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a complaint. I checked the radar, walked the dog & got wet. The pesky showers are moving so fast the radar can't keep up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Apparently Katowice flight is going to land in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

severe gusts starting just now in west Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hell of a lot of fallen trees around Co Cork considering leaves are gone

https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1203763260538998785?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sunny South East is the place to be!

West coast seems to always bear the brunt of such storms. Not always I know that, but in general.. Hope you all stay safe in Kerry and wherever it is dodgy tonight.

• Advertisement

Ah well, yet again many of us who follow the weather are made look like fools again. Winds barely reached gale force in the NW and with the exception of one or two squally showers, a typical December day. The hype is unreal.

If people are posting their forecasts in what they know is a public and popular forum, ie this one, they need to be prepared to get stick when same forecasts are wrong. Even the media consult this thread. No where other than Kerry and Cork warranted a orange warning. The rest of the country didn't even need a yellow. Lots of events around the country cancelled based on yet another way off the mark forecast.

Ah yes, the obligatory "Its not windy where I am ergo there is no wind anywhere"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Acosta wrote: »
    Maybe but possibly easier than having an aircraft, crew and passengers land at a different airport causing a knock on that will affect their operation into tomorrow as well as the cost of it all. Especially considering they knew a strong cross wind was coming.

I'm no expert , but I believe it is normally cheaper to divert a flight than to reschedule, also something to do with fuel .
    Plus you would not be able to reschedule a flight to land earlier than it's allotted time unless it's an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

that flight seems to be lining up to land now

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's just that the storms of the 80s and 90s seemed to be bad no matter what side of the hill you were on. Maybe they'll have to include hill alignments in the forecast...

To be honest, I think a lot of this “storms were worse in my day” stuff is down to the change in information availability. When I was a kid in the 80s, storms would seem to arrive out of nowhere to rattle the house. There’s a lot to be said of the changes in perception that can be caused by being “in the dark” so to speak. Storms felt more ominous and sinister when you didn’t know they were coming, and I’d bet that heavily influences how they’re remembered by folks.

Added to that, I’d bet a lot of posters were much younger then, and would have heard the same playing it down attitude from their elders! Experience deadens the excitement or fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was closing the shop in Mahon point around 7pm and the lights flickered like a power surge, windy enough at the moment in cork city too with some heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Yes and the Malaga one is right behind it.

Edit - response to widdensushi post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Things looking extremely rough off the Cork coast, buoy 62023 gusting to 148Km/h, back on land Roches point 127 Km/h.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Picking up in west Galway now. A few strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Touch down
    Ktw to ork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I have no idea how those plans have landed, i made the trek up to airport and it’s insane. My car is proper rocking.

That Katowice flight was crabbing and crabbing down the runway

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

The Ryan air boys earned their wages there I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Malaga to ORK looks to be attempting it now, fairly gusty alright in cork city and the airport is higher again so let’s pray for the passengers on that! Some queasy stomachs I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Current wind at Cork is 290 degrees at 26 knots gusting 37 knots . At 1930 it was 290 degrees at 33 knots gusting 46 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be honest, I think a lot of this “storms were worse in my day” stuff is down to the change in information availability. When I was a kid in the 80s, storms would seem to arrive out of nowhere to rattle the house. There’s a lot to be said of the changes in perception that can be caused by being “in the dark” so to speak. Storms felt more ominous and sinister when you didn’t know they were coming, and I’d bet that heavily influences how they’re remembered by folks.

Added to that, I’d bet a lot of posters were much younger then, and would have heard the same playing it down attitude from their elders! Experience deadens the excitement or fear.

Its as much to do with the fact that the houses we all grew up in had little insulation and single pane windows, they really did rattle. These days even the worst storm is heavily muted by building standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its as much to do with the fact that the houses we all grew up in had little insulation and single pane windows, they really did rattle. These days even the worst storm is heavily muted by building standards.

Very true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Larbre34 wrote: »

Yeah I was thinking that too, although I figure that's probably less true of the isolated houses out on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Rocko wrote: »

The last time I checked you can’t drive on fastnet and I pretty sure nobody is there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8pm

Newport gusting 59 knots
    Mace head gusting 55 knots
    Belmullet gusting 53 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

50 knots in Sligo now. Windows sound like theyr going to break

Advertisement