Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

core of damaging winds just to the west of Ireland on the 06 z gfs

ukgust.png

Batten down the hatches Grases7, looks bad for the islands. Enjoy listening to nature's fury from the comfort of your home :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Away from the considerable straight-lined wind threat we also have a considerable risk for funnel clouds/ weak tornadoes to form.

Strong wind convergence in the west as the first core of the system makes landfall
    gfs_layer_eur27.png

High helicity values in the SW too.
    gfs_stp_eur27.png

The thing though with these setups is that the visibility will be very poor as the LCL will be only a few 100 meters. Its this time of year that Ireland experiences them most too.

One to keep an eye out for and too inspect any reports of damage along a me localised path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm in allihies on the beara peninsula and it's calm still.
    I seen a guy on Facebook say castletownbere could get 170km+ winds. 😧

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MetLuver wrote: »
    Batten down the hatches Grases7, looks bad for the islands. Enjoy listening to nature's fury from the comfort of your home :-)

Well, there is listening and there is having your eardrums forcibly sundered... I am not a storm fan. They are to be endured perforce and to be safe in. Just a hard part of life is all. If this runs true to form my home will not feel safe either! The worst lately was Callum. the whole dwelling shook and shivered.

All safe; cats all in except the feral I feed who is a wild thing who respects the power of this totally and will not emerge even for food until it is safe. Wise critter...

Like all of us out here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon airport TAF forecasting gusts up to 58 knots between 4pm and 6pm tomorrow. Wild enough!

• Advertisement

Windy here in Galway city. I was going out to a Cmas party & getting the late bus home, off home for the car now & having a dry night instead. Not risking the walk from the bus if this is only going to worsen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

From a friend on a Trawler Valentia Coastguard putting out storm to violent storm force wind warnings for shipping along the West Coast he is in port

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The rain has arrived in cork city anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Absolutely torrential rain here in South Kerry. It made for a particularly difficult drive home this evening.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wind howling and heavy rain in Achill. Slightly regret coming down for the night now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tipping it down rain in N Donegal now, and getting fairly windy - unfortunately I can't measure it - although I'm sheltered for the moment under a hill, might get a bit more interesting tomorrow if the winds shift to more westerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The national parks to close headline is so odd to me. Its propagating through the cheap online news regurgitators now like its a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The national parks to close headline is so odd to me. Its propagating through the cheap online news regurgitators now like its a big deal.

I suppose the fact it’s a Sunday and people would go there on a day off. Still though common sense and an orange wind warning would surely mean people stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I might have been dreaming but before sunlight slipped away there was hundreds of birds acting very strangely here in Cork, you would wonder can they sense the storm that’s coming.

Was driving north of the city and on 2 separate occasions I seen flocks of birds circling in a panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

irishfeen wrote: »
    I might have been dreaming but before sunlight slipped away there was hundreds of birds acting very strangely here in Cork, you would wonder can they sense the storm that’s coming.

Was driving north of the city and on 2 separate occasions I seen flocks of birds circling in a panic.

Crows flock here before sunset and at sunrise every single day. It's nothing unsuual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sentient_6 wrote: »

I feel it's more a case of it being the weekend, so RTE and other media outlets have nothing else to build more weather danger hype around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Crows flock here before sunset and at sunrise every single day. It's nothing unsuual.

As I said I was probably dreaming :)

There's talk of Sunday being cancelled altogether over on the Face book.

There's talk of Sunday being cancelled altogether over on the Face book.

Would mass be rearranged for Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind ramping already here tonight. North Cork border

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very windy in Galway with heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm in allihies on the beara peninsula and it's calm still.
    I seen a guy on Facebook say castletownbere could get 170km+ winds. 😧

Lashing down now. Still very little wind

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Gusty wind in S. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Where is the best place to find the most up to date forecast because I find when it’s coming up to an evenT and during it it’s hard to know what is predicted to happen, what is currently happening and where the storm is tracking .. where has it passed, where is it now, where is it headed, how long it is predicted to last etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to find the most updated forecast because I find when it’s coming up to an evenT and during it it’s hard to know what is predicted to happen, what is currently happening and where the storm is tracking .. where has it passed, where is it now, where is it headed, how long it is predicted to last etc.

Here is your best bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's turned into a miserable night in cork city. It's a night for a high stool and a fire and a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Well I’ve decided if it’s fierce here to tomorrow evening, I’m foregoing our Santa visit in the woods. Not worth the risk, money be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

screamer wrote: »
    Well I’ve decided if it’s fierce here to tomorrow evening, I’m foregoing our Santa visit in the woods. Not worth the risk, money be damned.

Safest bet rather loose the money and enjoy many more santa visits to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Rain getting heavier in Limerick.

There's a breeze building, but nothing major yet

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »

What part of the country are you in? Might be cancelled anyway

Advertisement