Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The swell looks quite bad for Western areas. Hard to see how places like Salthill won't get hammered. Overall it's an average type storm where isolated gusts will possibly be what does the damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    It seems every year as soon as i put lights up the wind picks up.

lol... Second Sunday in Advent is the day I " always" put my outdoor Christmas things up.. Needless to say that is deferred... I would not even get to the gate the way it is out there now ..

The swell looks quite bad for Western areas. Hard to see how places like Salthill won't get hammered. Overall it's an average type storm where isolated gusts will possibly be what does the damage...

As many are saying, the storm has not yet arrived... Wait a few hours...

We still have power and internet here. Candle and lighter are within easy reach...

I suppose the fact it’s a Sunday and people would go there on a day off. Still though common sense and an orange wind warning would surely mean people stay at home.

Also many if not all of these are staffed, so it is sensible to let the staff off. If folk want to ramble the mountains, they still can.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The national parks to close headline is so odd to me. Its propagating through the cheap online news regurgitators now like its a big deal.

The storm is tomorrow. Wait and see. And always to be a west coast and coastal event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

I think this storm is going to be worse than some expect. Lorenzo may have led people into a false sense of security about these warnings. I hope people take heed and prepare accordingly, particularly in the west and south.
    The press release for national parks closing is probably an effort to keep people away from the coast without issuing a red warning, in which case everything would close. Why don’t they issue a marine red? Surely the conditions warrant at least that on the coast and at sea?
    Storm Ali really crept up on us here in Galway last year, it was very dangerous particularly for 2 hours during the morning commute. A tourist was killed that day out in Connemara by a freak gust of wind which lifted her caravan and flung it onto the beach.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No downgrades this afternoon on charts anyway, looks borderline red on south-western counties, maybe some upgraded orange on southern counties.

anim_ina3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Well I think they can because they are! All of them! Gone! And I’m bloody miffed about no invite to the Christmas do. I mean I’ve been reading their ramblings on for over 10 years now.

I don't like cramping Meteorite's style when it comes to storms

but if anyone has any questions i'm more than happy to answer :)

In the meantime enjoy a calming snow gif

qAtAL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

497112.png

497112.png

Is this the best post ever on the weather forum? I think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I land in DUB tomorrow at 13:30, here’s hoping it’s not delayed ✌️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Weather warning fatigue. Maybe some people have better things to do than obsesses about the weather..

On the weather forum? Ha.

Carol25 wrote: »
    I think this storm is going to be worse than some expect. Lorenzo may have led people into a false sense of security about these warnings. I hope people take heed and prepare accordingly, particularly in the west and south.
    The press release for national parks closing is probably an effort to keep people away from the coast without issuing a red warning, in which case everything would close. Why don’t they issue a marine red? Surely the conditions warrant at least that on the coast and at sea?
    Storm Ali really crept up on us here in Galway last year, it was very dangerous particularly for 2 hours during the morning commute. A tourist was killed that day out in Connemara by a freak gust of wind which lifted her caravan and flung it onto the beach.

Agree totally. We were always taught to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. No shame in doing that. Wise. These events can change for the worse in a matter of minutes. And this being so near Christmas folk will be planning outings with family, so far wiser to close when there is serious risk.

The inquest on that caravan death made harrowing listening. Had there been a red warning?

There has been no overhype. Just sensible advice which you can take or not. Were there to be no such advice and disaster happen there would be an outcry.

Quieter here just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

497112.png

BRILLIANT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I don't like cramping Meteorite's style when it comes to storms

but if anyone has any questions i'm more than happy to answer :)

In the meantime enjoy a calming snow gif

qAtAL.gif

Report on Facebook claimed 170km gusts for beara peninsula. How likely is this in your opinion??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Report on Facebook claimed 170km gusts for beara peninsula. How likely is this in your opinion??

It's possible but very unlikely imo. Knock at least 10km/h off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's possible but very unlikely imo. Knock at least 10km/h off that.

Even 160 is very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Its like a giant whale about to take a lump out of our ass

Even 160 is very strong.

Agreed, however I'd say it's more likely going to be in the 130/140km/h range, perhaps 150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Reading that forecast now I would say Red warnings tomorrow

I'm very surprised at the strength of the gusts hitting West Clare at the moment. Perhaps it's the lack of wind lately making it more pronounced?

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Its like a giant whale about to take a lump out of our ass

What kind of crazy whales have you been hanging out with Mobil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Same here in Galway very strong wind gusts did not expect it to be this bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The wind is whipping up in Galway.
    Big dirty closhes of water on the roads already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The wind is whipping up in Galway.
    Big dirty closhes of water on the roads already.

Any sign of Theresa.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'm very surprised at the strength of the gusts hitting West Clare at the moment. Perhaps it's the lack of wind lately making it more pronounced?

Wild enough in the east of the county as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very Squally type wind when the rain arrives...Galway...Storm could be dangerous with these kind of Squally winds which seem to come from all directions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am really glad RTE haven't gone full hurricane hype on this one. We need to let MetE take back control after the Lorenzo embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z gfs as all models today have very slightly downgraded the storms impact. It's minimal but is there. As for a red warning it doesn't warrant one and in all fairness it's been hyped in the media enough already!
    Ironically I can see the worst of the winds over Dublin area as the gradient tightens. A more expanded orange warning is possibly justified

Advertisement