Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change to Solar PV Grants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I get what you are saying, but arguing that it's not a full saving unless you base it on right rate instead of day rate is also a but simplistic.

Thats true also. I did say "some". Obviously you are saving on your bills. Its just not the €612 you quoted. How much less it is is going to be different for everyone.

I'm just trying to temper peoples expectations here because we see it quite a bit where people say "oh, a 5kWp system will generate 5MWh therefore I can do the multiplier and subtract that from my bills"

It just doesnt work like that in reality.

And gas for hot water is relatively cheaper again so alot of people would assume that a diverter is worth the money when its not.

TL;DR... its not a simple X kWh x 17.5c = €savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

B) my night rate usage has increased during winter months as my battery takes up night time charging for release during the day.

Did you just assume that saves you money or did you do a calculation on it? It's been shown here before that the savings from doing that are marginal at best (with a competitively priced PV install with lithium battery claiming the €1,000 battery subsidy)
    C) my oil tank usage during the summer went to near 0, compared to using it every day for hot water.

With a system as large as yours and with no feed in tariff, it makes sense to pay the extra €500 for an immersion diverter. The savings are just 5c/kWh diverted though (the cost of heating water with an efficient gas or oil boiler) and if you expect a feed in tariff of even as low as 5c/kWh within the next few years, then the €500 investment will be loss making (with smaller systems, say smaller than about 2.5kwp, an immersion system is always going to lose you money)

Of course, using zero emissions to heat your water is better than using fossil fuels, and it is likely that electricity and fossil fuels will become a lot more expensive in future, but I'm with Kcross here that we need to present real savings, not just production figure * max day rate = savings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

We are at a dilemma whether to go for a 3.75kWp system with 2.4kWh battery (10 panels - most we can fit) for 4,925 net ASAP, which our installer is reasonably confident he can meet the deadlines for the current grants OR waiting until the new year and going for a plain 2kWp system which I reckon we might be able to get for just over 3k. That would leave us an option to add a panel or two down the line once(when) fit is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Go for the battery system. At under five grand it's a bargain and you will take full advantage of the grant of almost €3,800

And whatever you do, don't install 2kwp now with the option of installing more panels later. It costs very little extra labour to add them now. If you do it down the line, you'll pay the full whack again in labour again to send the fellas onto your roof (but this time without any subsidy)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

unkel wrote: »
    Go for the battery system. At under five grand it's a bargain and you will take full advantage of the grant of almost €3,800

And whatever you do, don't install 2kwp now with the option of installing more panels later. It costs very little extra labour to add them now. If you do it down the line, you'll pay the full whack again in labour again to send the fellas onto your roof (but this time without any subsidy)
    That was my thought initially but it looks like a 2kW system could possibly be had for 2.5k after grant which would be easy to stomach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

I been reading up on solar. What it comes down to for me is that in 2018 i used a total of 2154 KW of energy for 715 euros. Is it mad for me to even consider this scheme?

I already have two solar panels that heat water directly. Great on fine summers day but I get nothing from them during the winter. I live on my own in a 4 bedroom house in the west of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Alkers wrote: »
    That was my thought initially but it looks like a 2kW system could possibly be had for 2.5k after grant which would be easy to stomach!

Go for the 3.75kW system. Having a battery no matter how small is a win. And getting 1.75kWp plus a 2.4kW battery for < 2500 is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I been reading up on solar. What it comes down to for me is that in 2018 i used a total of 2154 KW of energy for 715 euros. Is it mad for me to even consider this scheme?

I already have two solar panels that heat water directly. Great on fine summers day but I get nothing from them during the winter. I live on my own in a 4 bedroom house in the west of Ireland.

You have relatively low usage so the new grant might suit you better. A 2kW system with 1800 rebate will likely work well. You would get your money back in < 10 years assuming you get the system installed for 2500 net as quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭headtheball14

loyatemu wrote: »
    getting an old house to a C rating is a big job, no? I think our house (1970s semi) is rated E, which is possible being generous.
    Putting up PV is something I might think about doing, but external insulation is beyond my budget for the forseeable future. Under the new rules, I can forget about PV as well. I don't use electricity to heat the house, so I don't see what difference the BER rating makes TBH.

In same position. I have e rated house I've put in attic insulation and an air air heat pump without grants. Was hoping to do solar pv this year but I won't make c ber without very expensive upgrades and removing fireplace storage heating and externally insulating. I'm not In a position to make at the moment nor do I want to.
    My new heating is working well but these are backups for me.
    Unless you are able to do everything this incentivises no action.

That's good news.

Smaller systems have better ROI because proportionately more of a smaller system goes direct to load.
    Removing battery incentives will put their viability into question...as it ought to be.

Capping the grant at 2kW without loss introduction devices self-consumption devices is a shame. I'd be much happier with 4kW and no battery, as would the penguins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 stadtlerwa

I've been told that the deadline for the change to the grant was extended to Feb from Jan 31 but I can't see anything on the SEAI site.
    Can anybody confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

stadtlerwa wrote: »
    I've been told that the deadline for the change to the grant was extended to Feb from Jan 31 but I can't see anything on the SEAI site.
    Can anybody confirm ?

I hope not, I’ve been waiting nigh on 16 months now and was hoping that this deadline would force them to do what they should do ....

Advertisement