Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WORD files in Irish changing to Chinese Alphabet

Options
  • 05-12-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Most of my computer files and e-mails are in Irish, and recently some incoming WORD Attachments (to, or accompanying, e-mails) in Irish have partially changed from the Irish Alphabet to Chinese Alphabet characters, and were illegible. I also had to Save those Attachments before I could open them.

I’m using MS Office (Home and Student 2010), and suspect that that is the cause, and that there is some incompatibility between it and newer versions of WORD.

I don’t need to buy the latest version of MS Office, and don’t want to, as the 2010 version serves all my needs – except for this problem.

Anyone know how to rectify this problem, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Have you tried to open them in a cloud based office suite to try and isolate the issue? Try opening the offending files in google documents both on the computer in question and on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Bricriu wrote: »
    Most of my computer files and e-mails are in Irish, and recently some incoming WORD Attachments (to, or accompanying, e-mails) in Irish have partially changed from the Irish Alphabet to Chinese Alphabet characters, and were illegible. I also had to Save those Attachments before I could open them.

I’m using MS Office (Home and Student 2010), and suspect that that is the cause, and that there is some incompatibility between it and newer versions of WORD.

I don’t need to buy the latest version of MS Office, and don’t want to, as the 2010 version serves all my needs – except for this problem.

Anyone know how to rectify this problem, please?

Are you sure the characters are Chinese and not the gobbledygook that appears when there is something unrecognised or corrupted in a file? You might want to scan those documents just in case with an antivirus in any case. I still have Office 2010 in my computer and never had issues opening documents in the latest formats, I only changed to the new Office because I needed some of the latest functions in them and with both of them in the computer I can still open any document without issues.

Regardless if you don't want the newer version of Office but you want something that is updated I recommend LibreOffice is an Open Source alternative to Office and is reasonably updated compared to Open Office.

You do not pay anything for them but you can do a donation (It's going to be Christmas time soon just a quick reminder) for LibreOffice or OpenOffice as that is the way they finance themselves. ;)

Alternatively you can use online solutions such as the apps included in Drive by Google that are also free.

Advertisement