Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

LowOdour wrote: »
    Probably sacrilege to ask, but are there any good quality frozen veg that I could get for Xmas dinner. I cook most years, and plan to again this year but tempted by shortcuts!

I usually prep the night before, but still, would like more time with kids this year

Peas, sweetcorn, baby broad beans, soya beans.

I wouldn't eat any other veg frozen.

Tenderstem broccoli requires no prep and cooks in about 3 minutes.
    Carrots and parsnips are quick and easy to prepare and can be preped in advance for roasting - just pop them in the oven for 50 mins with oil, salt and pepper.

Are my family the only one to have always served the Christmas ham cold?
    Cooked and glazed on Christmas Eve.

I can't imagine having hot ham with the christmas dinner - it would be too like bacon and cabbage! Much easier to carve nicely when cold, too. And it's another thing that doesn't have to be done on the day.
    Hot or even warm ham seems wrong for Christmas.

As usual, ours will be a whole, smoked ham on the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are my family the only one to have always served the Christmas ham cold?
    Cooked and glazed on Christmas Eve.

I can't imagine having hot ham with the christmas dinner - it would be too like bacon and cabbage! Much easier to carve nicely when cold, too. And it's another thing that doesn't have to be done on the day.
    Hot or even warm ham seems wrong for Christmas.

As usual, ours will be a whole, smoked ham on the bone.

Yes, our ham is usually served cold - my mum cooks it on Christmas eve and it's used for sandwiches and then the next day for dinner :)

No breakfast or starter (that’s what sweets are for).

Dinner:
    turkey - cooked the night before with legs removed, legs cooked separately
    ham - cooked the night before for a few post pub sandwiches and then glazed and heated in oven on the day.
    stuffing - some from the birds neck and some stuffing balls. Breadcrumbs, onions, herbs, no sausage meat or fruit.
    potato croquettes - cheese & onion mash direct.
    mashed spuds.
    roast spuds - veg oil
    carrots & parsnips - roasted.
    sprouts - boiled until done and then fried with bacon.
    gravy - turkey juice & purple bisto.
    bread sauce - knorr.
    cranberry - Aldi one with port.

Dessert: Baileys trifle, pecan pie.

Turkey, ham, stuffing, and cranberry sandwich if I can manage around 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No breakfast or starter (that’s what sweets are for).

Dinner:

potato croquettes - cheese & onion mash direct.
    gravy - turkey juice & purple bisto.

Those potato croquettes are unreal! The gravy - my mum does the same - just the juices and bisto!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Those potato croquettes are unreal! The gravy - my mum does the same - just the juices and bisto!

Yep that’s the mother’s too. Couldn’t do it any other way.

We actually did home made croquettes last year but going back to the Mash Direct this time. Couldn’t beat them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Had an occasion to dine at Chapter One recently and they had mini potato and Parmesan croquettes. My God!!!! Sorely tempted to do them.

Marcusm wrote: »
    We’ll have 14 (11-72) for a full dinner on Christmas Eve. It’s too difficult to cater for all tastes with a single big lump of meat so I am going risky by offering a choice at all stages:

Starters

Soup - will either be broccoli or pumpkin/coconut/ginger/chilli
    Gambas pil pil (garlic and dried chilli) - basically a flavoured oil for bread but with good prawns
    Garlic mushrooms on toast (vegetarians)
    Either a crab/smoked salmon dish or a crispy/confit duck salad

Mains - trying to have 2 protein elements on each plate

Striploin of beef (med rare, no option) with individual ox cheek pithivier
    Chicken/Ham or both with a chicken and ham mini pie/pasty (brown meat)
    Grilled darne of salmon
    Vegetarian pastry (either pumpkin based or chickpea/peppers/paprika)

All served with suitable sauce (ie both beef and chicken gravies from scratch, plus a beurre blanc) and vegetables (roast potatoes, root veg mash and mixed greens)

Desserts

Passion fruit posset
    Choc orange ganache tart
    Sticky toffee pudding

Christmas pudding/trifle available on request

I have six rings and 2 full ovens. Prep is key but I’d expect to deliver without frazzle. No assistance accepted.

That sounds fantastic - what time should I arrive?? :D

Having an Italian at our table Christmas Day so might do these seafood (smoked salmon and prawn) Ravioli for a starter. This is a test run, never made them before......they're fine.
    ahUzTDxl.jpg

xOhrrutl.jpg

Zr7mPYjl.jpg

Planet X wrote: »
    Had an occasion to dine at Chapter One recently and they had mini potato and Parmesan croquettes. My God!!!! Sorely tempted to do them.

So.......got up early (6am :) ) to knock out 30 odd. In the freezer.

I9dAIFjl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

So.......got up early (6am :) ) to knock out 30 odd. In the freezer.

I9dAIFjl.jpg

If they taste half as good as they look!

They look gorgeous.

That's me finished.......off the pub for football later.

8jeuP3hl.jpg

H2dGKFDl.jpg

Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Thinking of cooking my ham in the slow cooker. Has anyone else tried the same. Any tips or advice is more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thinking of cooking my ham in the slow cooker. Has anyone else tried the same. Any tips or advice is more than welcome.
    I do this but always finish it off in oven ... I use back bacon (just my preference) . Soak ham for a few hours first , changing water a few times.
    Christmas morning (6am) ham into slow cooker on low and leave for 6 hours. I put two cans of cider in with the ham.
    Into hot oven then with honey, mustard and brown sugar and I will pour cider over it again.
    Let rest then for 10 minutes before serving...

Good idea. Going to use my slow cooker now. Less hassle. Thanks for the idea.
    Can of Orchard Thieves will go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Just on cooking ham in the slow cooker..the back bacon is a fairly solid lump and doesn’t normally crumble or fall apart so if using gammon or others cuts of ham/bacon you might want to adjust your slow cooker times... 6 hours might be a bit long for some cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Picked up the turkey and ham there. Thought the ham was in normal wrappings but its in a "cook-in bag".

I think I have to go back to ask if this means its pre-soaked or if they are just using completely inappropriate packaging. Nothing at all mentions boiling so I think I'll be taking it out of the bag anyway.

edit: not pre-soaked!

L1011 wrote: »
    Picked up the turkey and ham there. Thought the ham was in normal wrappings but its in a "cook-in bag".

I think I have to go back to ask if this means its pre-soaked or if they are just using completely inappropriate packaging. Nothing at all mentions boiling so I think I'll be taking it out of the bag anyway.

edit: not pre-soaked!

Modern hams don't need soaking - they're not salty like ham and bacon of years ago.
    The only time I'd ever soak ham or bacon is if I was going to roast it without boiling.

Cooking a half a boned,smoked ham for my mum today.
    No honey there so it's being glazed with apple jelly, maple syrup, ginger syrup, Dijon mustard and a sprinkle of sugar for the crunch.

csMRFiC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Very true about modern hams not needing soaking, last time I soaked one and changed water when boiling it was a tasteless yoke. Cooked a smoked ham yesterday with no soaking or water change and it's lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can of Orchard Thieves will go in.

orchard thieves is the most "marmite" cider I have ever come across, people love it or loathe it. Tastes like apple drops to me, completely different to any cider I have had.

I'd be sticking with more traditional ones.
    Ravioli for a starter.
    saw this recently, never saw one before. Dunno how well it works as I would think it could fall apart thinking that dough on dough would be better, the filling must get sandwiched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Salivating over this hang glaze recipe from nevan. Can’t wait for it!

https://www.bordbia.ie/lifestyle/all-recipes/nevens-maple-glazed-ham/

First time in Slow Cooker, so here goes, in with a can of lager (she drank the Orchard Thieves last night!!!!!)

6 hours, Low.

so0W1Bsl.jpg

For around the last 10 years, I've always bought the cheese for Christmas day.
    So, got up early yesterday to avoid the queues and into The English Market with me to get my selection.
    Called to my sister's with the ham yesterday to find that my neice had taken it upon herself to get a big selection of cheese from Sheridan's.

I'm raging.
    If she wanted to choose the cheese, this year - no problem - but why the hell didn't she let me know??

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

So, got up early yesterday to avoid the queues and into The English Market with me to get my selection.
    Called to my sister's with the ham yesterday to find that my neice had taken it upon herself to get a big selection of cheese from Sheridan's.

I'm raging.
    If she wanted to choose the cheese, this year - no problem - but why the hell didn't she let me know??

Are you ok hun? xxx

davegilly wrote: »
    Are you ok hun? xxx

I will be by the New Year.

I know, no one died but it's a waste. I'm not sure it will all get eaten. I got over €30 worth of cheese and she got about the same.
    It's a whole lot of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know, no one died but it's a waste. I'm not sure it will all get eaten.
    better than 2 turkeys. You could set aside the longer life ones from both batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone used coke or apple juice to add to a slow cooker ham ?

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone used coke or apple juice to add to a slow cooker ham ?

Yes, I adapted the Nigella Lawson “ham cooked in coke” recipe. Worked well. Finished it in the oven

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/ham-in-coca-cola

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I'm raging.

I feel your pain - I adore good cheese and as far as I know there's nothing you can do to slow down the ripening if it's ready to eat now, so now you just have to eat your bodyweight in cheese.

Advertisement