Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia - Suicide in Ireland

Options
  • 05-12-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

https://www.thejournal.ie/legalisation-euthanasia-ireland-poll-4913894-Dec2019/

63% of Irish people in a recent survey supported Euthanasia.

Lets think about this for a moment, the act of dying is entirely natural, it brings an end to your life and if you are suffering with pain, mental illness or for whatever reason you should be allowed to end your own life in a medically painless way.

Surely bodily autonomy should allow people to do this in respectful way and peaceful way and if relatives or friends decide to help them they should also not run the fear of being prosecuted.

I personally support Euthanasia and a person should be able to walk into a clinic and be able to purchase the lethal drugs required to peacefully end their own life in that clinic irregardless of their health situation under supervision to prevent anyone poisoning anyone else etc.

Suicide and Death is a huge issue in Ireland and rarely discussed and there needs to be a debate around this.

Comments

theguzman wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/legalisation-euthanasia-ireland-poll-4913894-Dec2019/

63% of Irish people in a recent survey supported Euthanasia.

Lets think about this for a moment, the act of dying is entirely natural, it brings an end to your life and if you are suffering with pain, mental illness or for whatever reason you should be allowed to end your own life in a medically painless way.

Surely bodily autonomy should allow people to do this in respectful way and peaceful way and if relatives or friends decide to help them they should also not run the fear of being prosecuted.

I personally support Euthanasia and a person should be able to walk into a clinic and be able to purchase the lethal drugs required to peacefully end their own life in that clinic irregardless of their health situation under supervision to prevent anyone poisoning anyone else etc.

Suicide and Death is a huge issue in Ireland and rarely discussed and there needs to be a debate around this.

I have no idea how I feel about this.

On one hand, I absolutely agree with a person being able to choose how they die, but another part of me thinks that this will allow people who "have a bad day" to needlessly take their life.

I have had suicidal thoughts in the past and would have definitely availed of the service if it was available. I am very glad it wasn't.

It's like the abortion issue to me. I have contradictory feelings about how I feel about it (if that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have no idea how I feel about this.

On one hand, I absolutely agree with a person being able to choose how they die, but another part of me thinks that this will allow people who "have a bad day" to needlessly take their life.

I have had suicidal thoughts in the past and would have definitely availed of the service if it was available. I am very glad it wasn't.

It's like the abortion issue to me. I have contradictory feelings about how I feel about it (if that makes sense)

I guess there is similarities, on one hand you have an unborn baby having no right to life anymore and no autonomy whether it can continue to live or otherwise. Then you have the living people having no right to die when it might be what they really want. Obviously two very different issues but with similar ethical dilemmas for opponents or proponents of either issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I remember having a big abscess once and the pain was so bad id prefer to be dead than put up with that for the rest of my days....

It was horrific, that night I was at home and my son was with me and I couldn't bring him into the hospital so I had to get my dad to come out from limerick to Kilfenora to stay over while I went to the hospital, to get a shot of morphine....

I used to be religious and I really empathised with euthanasia that night/morning and I said if i was ever terminally ill and in pain like this that couldn't managed id ask to be put to sleep.

It wasn't a normal abscess pain this was so bad I couldn't hardly look at the star's above because it was painful, light and pain is a bad mixture..

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I support euthanasia for terminally ill people who want to die on their own terms while they can make that decision, before their illness brings them more unnecessary suffering.

It would have to be well regulated though, as there are some fears that there will be people pressured into euthanasia because they are becoming a burden on their family.

I don't think there will ever be a legislation that will allow suicidal people to walk to the clinic and say "hi, I'm Gwen and I want to die. One lethal dose please, for my life is sh*t". I'm saying this as someone who's been suicidal for the last 16 years or so, they just won't let you do it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

..... another part of me thinks that this will allow people who "have a bad day" to needlessly take their life.

I don't think its going to be available to people having a bad day.

• Advertisement

I'm saying this as someone who's been suicidal for the last 16 years or so, they just won't let you do it! :D

felt odd "thanking" that, but I hope you know what I meant. :)

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't think its going to be available to people having a bad day.

Some people's "bad day" can last a few months and can be as much as debilitating as a terminal illness so it would be hard not to argue that people with chronic depression should be allowed to avail.

I realise bad day was an incorrect term. I meant people who have gone through a family breakdown, bereavement etc who will recover if given time.

I know it sounded like I was making light. I wasn't.

Sorry if I came across flippant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Rarely discussed? There was a thread on this very topic only last week :confused:

There’s plenty of discussion happens around suicide and death, it’s a fairly morbid subject IMO but some people love to revel in misery, suicide and death.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I would absolutely be in favor of it.

As said already though, it would have to be heavily regulated.

For people with no hope of any quality of life or facing certain death. Not for mental illness as it is too much of a gray area. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some people's "bad day" can last a few months and can be as much as debilitating as a terminal illness so it would be hard not to argue that people with chronic depression should be allowed to avail.

I realise bad day was an incorrect term. I meant people who have gone through a family breakdown, bereavement etc who will recover if given time.

I know it sounded like I was making light. I wasn't.

Sorry if I came across flippant.

Grand, I knew where you were coming from, but I also can't see it being available to people suffering from depression. No matter how bad it is, since most depressions can be improved with medication.

I would say it would only be open to people with terminal or very life-limiting illnesses where they are in a lot of pain. That's how it has been used in other countries, so I think we will be the same.

I think its the next big debate that Ireland needs to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

another part of me thinks that this will allow people who "have a bad day" to needlessly take their life.
    This is a bit of a red herring if you think about it.

If someone is "having a bad day" and decides to take their own life, they don't need assisted suicide or euthanasia to be legalised. They don't even need suicide to be legalised.

By legalising it, you're not going to make it physically any easier for suicidal people to end their lives. In places where it is legal they don't sell "suicide kits" in pharmacies or anything like that.

There is a potential acceptance factor, in that it may remove some social barriers to suicide and some people will feel like it's OK if they do it.
    But that can (and should) be balanced, by having open discussions about mental health, death, suffering, etc., aimed at making suicidal people feel like they have somewhere to go that won't result in judgements, unemployment, etc.

Statistics on assisted suicide from the Netherlands, show that practically all assisted deaths are carried out for people who have requested it because the are physically unable to do it themselves.

So the argument that legalising it will lead to more suicides by hopelessly depressed people, doesn't really hold water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I suppose that when we believe we've come from no where by sheer chance and are going no where when we die and have no one to answer to for our lives and no one outside of us who holds our lives in their hands then killing ourselves isn't an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Around 150 people kill themselves each year in Ulster, 5 times more men than women, people think that it's just because men don't talk about their problems, this is nonsense, it is because of the poverty and how women are generally treated better in the 21st century. Suicide is also linked to the decline in Christianity, my mother says that in the 70s and 80s you rarely heard of suicides now they are happening all the time. Even the front page of the Derry Post newspaper is of a missing woman who most likely killed herself last week.

I guess there is similarities, on one hand you have an unborn baby having no right to life anymore and no autonomy whether it can continue to live or otherwise. Then you have the living people having no right to die when it might be what they really want. Obviously two very different issues but with similar ethical dilemmas for opponents or proponents of either issue.

Maybe women should have thought about that before they had sex without condom. I won't even think of feminists as I don't want to ruin my Saturday, they are so self obsessed.

I suppose that when we believe we've come from no where by sheer chance and are going no where when we die and have no one to answer to for our lives and no one outside of us who holds our lives in their hands then killing ourselves isn't an issue.

I hope to return as a ghost so I can be the most sinister entity in recorded history.

Much greater stigma back then. We've become far too accepting of suicide.

Euthanasia should be allowed, but only for terminally ill people who are in great pain.

That is a complicated issue because it isn't right to start abusing the person after they have killed themselves so you have to be respectful. In the past they weren't allowed to be buried in church grounds.

The celebrities killing themselves also is a big problem because they kill themselves and are worshiped even more afterwards, I am thinking of Kurt Kobain and singer Chester Bennington more recently, they are viewed as a God in rock fan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Much greater stigma back then. We've become far too accepting of suicide.

Euthanasia should be allowed, but only for terminally ill people who are in great pain.

What if your pain is just as great if not greater but it's only terminal if the choice is your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've a couple of chronic medical conditions that are life affecting but I've managed to control the impact of them on my day to day life and live a fairly normal mostly medical intervention free life until quite recently.

One of the complications is neuropathy, and I have an ongoing issue at the moment that is under investigation for this and it may be either a central neuropathy or some veinous issue leading to renal colic.

The pain is eye watering, it radiates from kidney to scrotum and is disabling and vomit inducing.
    If it's veinous, hopefully surgery can correct it.

If it's central neuropathy, honestly given that I'm currently 6 months on opiods and neuropathic pain relief that only knocks the edge off...
    I don't know how I'd cope, but cope I will.

Euthanasia isn't a choice I'd make in this instance despite the possibility of being likely to have severe pain issues for the remainder of my life, but I can certainly say this.

If I was alone, if I didn't have a circle of friends and family who are understanding and supportive.
    Euthanasia is something I would most certainly consider if this continued and I didn't have the support I do now.

The psychological impact of continued long term "extreme" pain is brutal, it colours every interaction you have and limits you more than I had previously imagined.

I think some form of legislation for assisted dying is required.
    There needs to be a robust and practical set of guidelines to ensure professional support.
    The patient must be paramount, the fact that medical science and intervention can prolong life is a brilliant vindication of the effort expended on medical research and training.

It must be balanced IMO with a view on quality of life for the patient, and what the patient wants.
    A life lived in pain or with mobility or communication limitations?
    May not be the life the patient wishes to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This is such a close-to-the-bone topic for me. I desperately wish this was an option in Ireland.

I saw an incredibly thoughtful below-the-line comment recently on the topic that sums it up for me. It was in reference to the case of Lynn Gilderdale and her mother Kay, who assisted her in dying. Charges were brought against Kay but she was acquitted. There seems to be little appetite to prosecute people for this, in the UK at least.

28219186-83-AF-476-D-AC21-5620-F274-D870.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

apparently its the next big political issue ,

ive personally been in extreme pain to the extent that ive thought about death as a positive via a bone marrow issue but i was lucky enough to recover from

if that wasn't an option i would most certainly wish to be allowed to end it on my own terms

as for people with chronic mental health issues im not sure it should be much different

their illness , little or no prospect of recovery

let them make a choice

seems fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And it's just like the abortion debate, when we got claims about "abortion on a whim".

We need to trust people to make decisions about their own lives, under appropriate medical supervision.

xzanti wrote: »
    For people with no hope of any quality of life or facing certain death. Not for mental illness as it is too much of a gray area. IMHO.

Remember how we heard for years that suicidality (as opposed to life threatening physical illness) shouldn't be a grounds for getting an abortion, and they had referendums in 1992 and 2002 to stop it - we rejected both.

I'm also reminded of Ronan Mullen's comments on TV last year that mental illness wasn't real illness.

It's not something that we should rule out entirely, simply because it's not a "physical" illness.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

What a completely crass comment.

Suicide touches the life of every person who knew the deceased (even some who barely did, or didn't - geographic clusters are a thing.) The suicidal person often seems to convince themselves everyone else is better off without them, unfortunately.

This has got nothing at all to do with religious belief or disbelief.

It would be just as stupid to say "well, you christians think heaven is great and that this world is nothing but a pile of suffering, so why not speed things along?"

Around 150 people kill themselves each year in Ulster, 5 times more men than women, people think that it's just because men don't talk about their problems, this is nonsense, it is because of the poverty and how women are generally treated better in the 21st century. Suicide is also linked to the decline in Christianity, my mother says that in the 70s and 80s you rarely heard of suicides now they are happening all the time. Even the front page of the Derry Post newspaper is of a missing woman who most likely killed herself last week.

Such nonsense.

Single mothers frequently suffer poverty. Either a life stuck on benefits, or trying to juggle housing, job and childcare. Meanwhile the father can feck off and have no financial or other responsibility towards his child whatsoever.

"Women generally treated better in the 20th century" - LOL

There was plenty of suicide in the past, it was just hidden because it was regarded as taboo and sinful, and to some extent still is (how many of those 3AM single occupant car went into a wall incidents are actually suicides?)

Interesting long read here (paywall, but incognito mode should work) about a disabled athlete who took the decision to end her life, 11 years after first getting the legal papers:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/marieke-vervoort-the-paralympic-champion-who-chose-her-time-to-die-1.4115956

A very brave woman in how she lived and how she died too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

People should have the right to end their life painlessly. I think they should pay themselves however unless they genuinely cant

How judgemental of you.

Heard the same crap during the repeal referendum. "Dem b*tches should pay for it if they want an abortion", not in so many words, but that sentiment was frequently expressed.

Are you going to demand that smokers pay for their lung cancer surgery too? Fat people for their type 2 diabetes treatment? And anybody with an STD sure that's their own fault. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can we clarify the terminology here?

My understanding is that 'euthanasia' refers to when medical staff decide to switch you off, whereas with assisted suicide/dying, you make the decision yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can we clarify the terminology here?

My understanding is that 'euthanasia' refers to when medical staff decide to switch you off, whereas with assisted suicide/dying, you make the decision yourself.

No, euthanasia is also a decision you make yourself. The difference will be that a doctor is directly involved in the delivery of the euthanising drugs, whereas with assisted suicide, they 'set up' the drug delivery system, but the person must administer the drugs to themselves, making it a suicide.

Switching off life support already happens here, and will be done by medical staff, but with consent of family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I will end my life when it's no longer enjoyable & when I can't do the things that give me pleasure.

I love life, never get depressed but when the time comes, it will be of my choosing.

This should be a fundamental human right.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People should have the right to end their life painlessly. I think they should pay themselves however unless they genuinely cant
    Jesus Christ.

"People should only be allowed to end their suffering if they can afford to pay for it."

There's something wrong with you if you have such a complete absence of empathy. Mother Teresa would be proud of you. She also believed that poor people should suffer as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

osarusan wrote: »
    No, euthanasia is also a decision you make yourself. The difference will be that a doctor is directly involved in the delivery of the euthanising drugs, whereas with assisted suicide, they 'set up' the drug delivery system, but the person must administer the drugs to themselves, making it a suicide.

Oh right, well I suppose that means they're much the same thing, legally and ethically. Anyone who supports the right to one would almost certainly be in favour of the other too.

Advertisement