Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »
    We can therefore look forward to the same treatment we have given the RIC/DMP the past few days to Anti-Treaty IRA and their ilk. :)

Way to switch the narrative ;)
    Mind there's a large Michael Collins portrait in the office of Leo Varadkar K.B.E..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

People do realise this is a paid thread yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

They should tack it on to the Siteserv investigation, never see the light of day.

Is he being nasty and bitter or just dumb?

I would tend to go with all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Phoebas wrote: »
    Here's Ferriter's Commemorations group view in black and white on commemorating the RIC and the DMP:

I think it's crystal clear that he was recommending commemoration. He's arguing semantics on the specific form it should take.

I will take Ferriters word over Charlie Flanagan all day everyday if it's all the same to you.
    He explained: “What we stated was that ‘consideration should be given to the organisation of specific initiatives to commemorate the RIC and the DMP and to acknowledge their place in history’.

“What we had in mind was an academic event - a conference or seminar - that would look at the issue of policing in Ireland during the revolutionary period, including the role of and disbandment of the RIC and the foundation of the Civic Guard, which became An Garda Siochana.”

He said the advisory group “should not be used by the Government as a mudguard to provide cover for itself when it receives negative reaction to its solo runs in relation to commemoration.

Obviously it was purely coincidental Charlie and the bhoys pulled the plug on it minutes after Ferriter called them out on their absolute Bullsh1t.

Flanagan should resign immediately imo.

Spectacular own goal for FG on this one, mixed with decent splash of arrogance in the mouth of an election too.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Agreed.
    But we shouldn't only commemorate the things that make us look good.

Commemorate by definition is :"to recall and show respect".

What in the War of Independence did the RIC, their Special Constabulary, and their Auxilary Division do that being recalled deserves shown respect.

They worked for a foreign power and often acted brutally doing their utmost to deny our independence.

• Advertisement

Maybe the Black and Tans commemoration was a tester to see if a 'Remember the Blue Shirts' parade might fly? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Look at Twitter.

IMG-20200107-184910.jpg

Jesus I hope them slithery slimy bastard's are annihilated in this election.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Look at Twitter.

IMG-20200107-184910.jpg

More of a 'Take That' man? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Way to switch the narrative ;)
    Mind there's a large Michael Collins portrait in the office of Leo Varadkar K.B.E..

I see you didnt answer the question.

I see you didnt answer the question.

That wasn't a question ;)
    Also I can't claim to know what FG HQ are concocting. I never saw the Black and Tan thing coming.

• Advertisement

I will take Ferriters word over Charlie Flanagan all day everyday if it's all the same to you.

“What we had in mind was an academic event - a conference or seminar - that would look at the issue of policing in Ireland during the revolutionary period, including the role of and disbandment of the RIC and the foundation of the Civic Guard, which became An Garda Siochana.”

Yet, what they had in mind was not in the text of the EAG report, but the words commemoration of the RIC/DMP was....

Ferriter trying to cover tracks me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Look at Twitter.

IMG-20200107-184910.jpg

Hey they are the "workers party", their bots will start up the PR machine come election time.

That wasn't a question ;)

Sentences that start with the word 'Can' usually define a question.

However, I see by your non-answer that you want to have your cake and eat it.

In other words, a blatant, foaming in the mouth hypocrite.

'Of course, we should commemorate old anti-Treaty forces who killed Free state soldiers, Gardai and fought against the democratic will of the people.'

No matter how much you try, you cannot square the circle.

Yet, what they had in mind was not in the text of the EAG report, but the words commemoration of the RIC/DMP was....

So was 'revolutionary' and 'Ireland'. Were they calling for an uprising? :)

Sentences that start with the word 'Can' usually define a question.

However, I see by your non-answer that you want to have your cake and eat it.

In other words, a blatant, foaming in the mouth hypocrite.

'Of course, we should commemorate old anti-Treaty forces who killed Free state soldiers, Gardai and fought against the democratic will of the people.'

No matter how much you try, you cannot square the circle.

A question mark seals it for me MarkO.
    #notaquestion

You need study history and read more if you can't see the differences.

You get away with calling me a liar and now a hypocrite.
    I don't recall pissing in your cornflakes, but I'll not be dealing with you.

Flannagan heading for the hills once Ferriter clarified me thinks.

A question mark seals it for me MarkO.
    #notaquestion

You need study history and read more if you can't see the differences.

You get away with calling me a liar and now a hypocrite.
    I don't recall pissing in your orange juice, but I'll not be dealing with you.

So answer the simple question so?
    You have a lot of other things to say on this issue, yet you chicken out of a simple question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You keep referencing Ferriter, the problem you and the other spin merchants in FG have is Leo and Charlie were all over this commemoration event . Had they any cop on they were have realised it was a bad idea. However an unhealthy dose of arrogance negates forward thinking and the required thought for potential consequences. Spin as much as you like but only Leo/Charlie/FG are getting it in the neck for this abhorrent attempt to commemorate the RIC/DMP/Black&Tans.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You keep referencing Ferriter, the problem you and the other spin merchants in FG have is Leo and Charlie were all over this commemoration event . Had they any cop on they were have realised it was a bad idea. However an unhealthy dose of arrogance negates forward thinking and the required thought for potential consequences. Spin as much as you like but only Lei/Charlie/FG are getting it in the neck for this abhorrent attempt to commemorate the RIC/DMP/Black&Tans.

Interesting, your post mentions spin merchants, but you then talk about the commemoration of Black&Tans which was never part of the plan.

This has been an eye-opener into the hate bubbling beneath the surface of our society. Many of the people who are outraged by this and spitting venom are the same people who would be first to attend a Bobby Sands commemoration. Them-ums is a part of our society as much as the North.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Interesting, your post mentions spin merchants, but you then talk about the commemoration of Black&Tans which was never part of the plan.

This has been an eye-opener into the hate bubbling beneath the surface of our society. Many of the people who are outraged by this and spitting venom are the same people who would be first to attend a Bobby Sands commemoration. Them-ums is a part of our society as much as the North.

The Black and Tans were an auxiliary unit of the RIC. Do you wish to rewrite history in your defence of FG?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

FG now deferring the commemoration of the RIC/DMP/Black&Tans. According to RTE News.

Flanagan was truly awful on Drivetime.
    He sounded like they were deferring it because they are afraid.

It will be held after the Seanad is reformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

charlie14 wrote: »
    Flannagan heading for the hills once Ferriter clarified me thinks.
    Does that mean he got the bus home? He'll be there in situ every day until the election is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Do you not know what the Black and Tans were?

The Black and Tans were an auxiliary unit of the RIC. Do you wish to rewrite history in your defence of FG?

Auxiliary as in supplementary, i.e. additional but not part of.

The RIC resented the Black&Tans as well.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do you not know what the Black and Tans were?

Yes, but I don’t learn my history from rebel songs.

Flanagan was truly awful on Drivetime.
    He sounded like they were deferring it because they are afraid.

It will be held after the Seanad is reformed.

They can't seem to help themselves trying to stick it to the other side, (folk who historically didn't want anything to do with Britain). Similar to how they tried to whitewash the 1916 centenary with Redmond featuring prominently. Odd I know but that's a vibe I get off Fine Gael, still bitter.
    Be interesting to see if they try make the civil war commemorations one sided.

You keep referencing Ferriter, the problem you and the other spin merchants in FG have is Leo and Charlie were all over this commemoration event . Had they any cop on they were have realised it was a bad idea. However an unhealthy dose of arrogance negates forward thinking and the required thought for potential consequences. Spin as much as you like but only Leo/Charlie/FG are getting it in the neck for this abhorrent attempt to commemorate the RIC/DMP/Black&Tans.

Black and Tans were never going to be part of this commemeration. People stating is as show are giving out a dose of Fake News.

They can't seem to help themselves trying to stick it to the other side, (folk who historically didn't want anything to do with Britain). Similar to how they tried to whitewash the 1916 centenary with Redmond featuring prominently. Odd I know but that's a vibe I get off Fine Gael, still bitter.
    Be interesting to see if they try make the civil war commemorations one sided.

Ah you are still here, so care to answer my question?

Auxiliary as in supplementary, i.e. additional but not part of.

The RIC resented the Black&Tans as well.

As I said rewriting history. Defending the attempt to commemorate the RIC/DMP/Black and Tans is pathetic imho. Three organisations of an occupying power that brutalized and murdered Irish civilians.
    Deflect, spin all you want. Your tactics are like your colours( blue I suspect) clear as day.

• Advertisement

Black and Tans were never going to be part of this commemeration. People stating is as show are giving out a dose of Fake News.

The Black and Tans were an auxiliary unit of the RIC. Commemorate one and by extension you commemorate the other,no amount of semantic word play will change that.
    FG got it spectacularly wrong accept and move on stop blaming others.

Advertisement