Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's uncanny that both leo and yourself have thrown the toys out of the pram because a history revision/whitewash attempt by dyed in the wool unionist and partitionists has been unequivocally rejected by the public?

Leos opinion on a United Ireland is insignificant btw. It's a 50% +1 result in a poll.

Trying to spin this one as anything at all other than a miserable failure by FG is desperation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If Mary Lou was divisive then Leo united the country. :)

48 hours is all it took to turn him into a petulant clown. 'Youse won't get your ice cream if you don't eat your greens'. :)

I don't really care whether this ends Leo's career or not, however, it does make me ashamed to be Irish, not for the first time that populist nationalist mob talk has done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I don't really care whether this ends Leo's career or not, however, it does make me ashamed to be Irish, not for the first time that populist nationalist mob talk has done so.

Yes we know.

There are many like you.

McMurphy wrote: »
    It's uncanny that both leo and yourself have thrown the toys out of the pram because a history revision/whitewash attempt by dyed in the wool unionist and partitionists has been unequivocally rejected by the public?

Leos opinion on a United Ireland is insignificant btw. It's a 50% +1 result in a poll.

Trying to spin this one as anything at all other than a miserable failure by FG is desperation tbh.

Fine Gael completely underestimated the emergence of the Brexit/Trump nationalistic feeling in this country, that I do accept is a failure on their part. However, failing while doing the right thing, leads to disappointment not blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

DEATH NOTICE
    Gael, Fine: The death has occurred of the Fine Gael Party as we know it.

Finally, after years of fighting various illnesses such as: Homeless Crisis, Hospital Bed Shortages, Nurses Strike, Water Charges, Children’s Hospital Fiasco and Big Printer Mortification, Fine Gael finally lost the will to live after contracting B & T (Black & Tan) which was further complicated by the onslaught of RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary).

Fine Gael died in the beloved arms of sons Leo and Charlie and will repose peacefully with the rest of the statues in Dáil Éireann for the foreseeable future.

No flowers please – this is at the request of The Green Party. Donations if desired to be sent directly to the FAI.

Dáil Éireann to remain private at all times. (This will be nothing new as we never know what they are up to anyway).

Mourners are advised that should they wish to pay their respects; they will have an opportunity to do so at polling stations all over the country on a date yet to be announced.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam

• Advertisement

There wasn't a single word of complaint when the EG published their recommendations on what should happen during this phase of commemorations.
    They very clearly defined what should be recognised formally by the state as significant themes and events (the foundation of NI being one uncontroversial element of that). They also clearly said that the RIC/DMP should be acknowledged in some way BUT DID NOT include them in the list for formal state commemoration.

The public reaction, internal FG reaction, FF reaction and SF and others reactions, came when Leo and crew decided they would do it their way and the EG were proved right, formal state commemoration was not appropriate.

Leo owns this mess completely as does Flanagan and Madigan.

The

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

To be perfectly honest neither of those two will keep me awake at night worrying about the moral compass of the citizens of the state.

The pressure that resulted in this arrogant climb-down reflects very well on their moral compass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fine Gael completely underestimated the emergence of the Brexit/Trump nationalistic feeling in this country, that I do accept is a failure on their part. However, failing while doing the right thing, leads to disappointment not blame.

It was weighed and judged not to be the right thing.

Yes we know.

There are many like you.

Here is what Mary-Lou said:

"You don't build a United Ireland by denigrating the memory of those who fought for Irish freedom and independence by lionising the RIC and the Black and Tans who suppressed that desire and upheld British rule in this country.

"You do that by having an honest conversation with people and explaining that the men and women fought the RIC and the Black and Tans were fighting for the unity of all people of this island."

Both Trump and Johnson's public statements share two distinct characteristics - they are provocatively nationalist in tone and they have a distant relationship with the truth.

Mary-Lou's statement shares those characteristics. Firstly, she tells a lie that the commemoration is about denigrating the memory of one side, and lionising the Black and Tans. That is just simply untrue. Secondly, she appeals directly to nationalism with both the tone and content of her contribution.

Sadly, I believe this will lead to a poll boost for Sinn Fein and also to a general election full of nationalist rhetoric and divisive polarising language. Well done to the brains trust in Sinn Fein for spotting this opportunity to copy the Trump/Johnson metric for success, but the prospect that our country follows that path fills me with disgust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fairly pathetic to see someone lamenting the decision to abandon the attempt to commemorate an organisation that brutalized and murdered many civilians. I'm ashamed that there are people here whom claim to be Irish express this view of an abhorrent attempt to honour such an organisation as the RIC/ DMP/Black and Tans.

• Advertisement

Here is what Mary-Lou said:

"You don't build a United Ireland by denigrating the memory of those who fought for Irish freedom and independence by lionising the RIC and the Black and Tans who suppressed that desire and upheld British rule in this country.

"You do that by having an honest conversation with people and explaining that the men and women fought the RIC and the Black and Tans were fighting for the unity of all people of this island."

Both Trump and Johnson's public statements share two distinct characteristics - they are provocatively nationalist in tone and they have a distant relationship with the truth.

Mary-Lou's statement shares those characteristics. Firstly, she tells a lie that the commemoration is about denigrating the memory of one side, and lionising the Black and Tans. That is just simply untrue. Secondly, she appeals directly to nationalism with both the tone and content of her contribution.

Sadly, I believe this will lead to a poll boost for Sinn Fein and also to a general election full of nationalist rhetoric and divisive polarising language. Well done to the brains trust in Sinn Fein for spotting this opportunity to copy the Trump/Johnson metric for success, but the prospect that our country follows that path fills me with disgust.

How do the actions of the RIC/DMP and Black and Tans 'fill you'? Because many many more than SF were clearly filled with disgust at the thoughts of these groups getting a formal state commemoration. That is not nationalism, that is just plain and ordinary pride in yourself, expressing itself. Something you seem to struggle with, as you have said.

A poster on the other thread who had the same opinion as you, learned tonight what these groups did and was shocked and expressed that shock honestly. I dare say there are many like him around the country after this week. Knowledge is power as they say. Leo certainly knows it now anyhow, because the people simply overpowered and over ruled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

People who believe the tripe about a UI being a simple 50% +1 are fools in thinking that it will result in a harmonious United Ireland or that it is something we should even aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The public reaction, internal FG reaction, FF reaction and SF and others reactions, came when Leo and crew decided they would do it their way and the EG were proved right, formal state commemoration was not appropriate.

Leo owns this mess completely as does Flanagan and Madigan.

The

Even though the chair of the EG, Dr Maurice Manning, was on radio this week, publicly backing the idea of a state commemoration of the RIC/DMP...

This idea went political and it went downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Idbatterim wrote: »
    great post and I echo these sentiments! you would also think I would be the prime FG target. The last two elections I voted for them. Say you can dream up a new political party to vote for, what are the few key criteria, that you would want?

I cant remember who i voted for last time, definitely wasnt ff or fg anyway.
    I guess the first thing id look for in a politician is basic competency or humanity, a trait which seems to be lacking in many politicians once they get to power. Put people with the required knowledge and acumen in charge of critical departments, like health - not a 30 year old journalist from DIT.

markodaly wrote: »
    Even though the chair of the EG, Dr Maurice Manning, was on radio this week, publicly backing the idea of a state commemoration of the RIC/DMP...

Read the fecking document Mark. The EG laid out clearly in the Appendix which themes and events should receive formal state commemorations andthe RIC/DMP are not on that list.
    I am sure there were many personal opinions around the table. But they clearly did not all make to the final submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oh dear Mark...even Maurice is turning and running:
    Former senator Maurice Manning has said that personally he would prefer to see an academic conference as the means to commemorate the role of the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) and Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Oh dear Mark...even Maurice is turning and running:

Flanagan taking it from all angles.

Maurice Manning says academic conference better way to commemorate police force
    Dr Manning a member of the expert advisory group on centenary commemoration appointed by the Government, said that the group had recommended a simple ceremony in Dublin Castle, but “somebody lost the run of themselves and called it a State event.

Can we now dispell with the absolute spoof that the shindig charile, leo, heather and josepha were trying to organise was recommended?

FG - blaming others for their arrogance and clusterfcuks since forever.

Flanagan taking it from all angles.

Maurice Manning says academic conference better way to commemorate police force

Can we now dispell with the absolute spoof that the shindig charile, leo, heather and josepha were trying to organise was recommended?

FG - blaming others for their arrogance and clusterfcuks since forever.

The rats are all jumping ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

markodaly wrote: »

Wasn't even on the list of offical events Mark.

A solo run according to Govt chief whip Sean Kyne.

Game, Set and Match.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Wasn't even on the list of offical events Mark.

A solo run according to Govt chief whip Sean Kyne.

Game, Set and Match.

Which was crystal clear to anybody who read the actual document and not the spin.

Only Leo has FF in his pocket Flanagan at the very least would be gone here and may even go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Surely this has to be the end of Fine Gael in government. So many own goals and lack of awareness especially in the past 18 months.

They have had 10 years of government and they have made the housing and hospital situations even worse. Time to go lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ricero wrote:
    They have had 10 years of government and they have made the housing and hospital situations even worse. Time to go lads.

Ah I wouldn't overly worry about it, ff will be up again, so things won't be changing much

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Matt , I think you might find more peace on the journal. While there will be many fg apologists here , on the journal , the abuse they’ve get is heart warming !

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't overly worry about it, ff will be up again, so things won't be changing much

True. But I have to say. Coming from a very low expectation base , I am nearly stunned at just how **** fg have been. It’s the problem with the likes of lieo and modern politicians, sit on the fence , stand for nothing. Do nothing ...

There is no way any of the main issues will be tackled. Health will always be a farce. Public service etc. housing can improve easily enough , if that’s the actual will of a government. The red lines for forming government, need to move from welfare increases and tax cuts , to getting infrastructure built and improving housing and health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote:
    True. But I have to say. Coming from a very low expectation base , I am nearly stunned at just how **** fg have been. It’s the problem with the likes of lieo and modern politicians, sit on the fence , stand for nothing. Do nothing ...

It is shocking to see how bad fg have been, it's also deeply concerning, as a lefty, I am finding it interesting though to see some lifetime fg supporter's also get sick of them, it's a very interesting period in Irish politics. Unfortunately I think our political institutions have been depowered so much now, it doesn't really matter who's voted in, it would be nice to see alternatives to ff and fg get into power, but we re simply not ready for that, and you d have to wonder, will we ever have alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It is shocking to see how bad fg have been, it's also deeply concerning, as a lefty, I am finding it interesting though to see some lifetime fg supporter's also get sick of them, it's a very interesting period in Irish politics. Unfortunately I think our political institutions have been depowered so much now, it doesn't really matter who's voted in, it would be nice to see alternatives to ff and fg get into power, but we re simply not ready for that, and you d have to wonder, will we ever have alternatives.
    Only a party that can get enough votes from the centre is an alternative. FG and the chameleons of FF will combine to ensure that never happens. The alternative is an alternative version of either of those. They can be made to listen if they think it's in their interest. The routine slagging off and abuse of parties is not the way to do that.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/political-tensions-heighten-as-parties-plot-for-general-election-in-february-38846424.html

Ff would be mad to let it go until April. Pull the plug now. Short **** days , nothing but bad news with health etc. They might even strike lucky and have a homeless death or two !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Idbatterim wrote: »
    True. But I have to say. Coming from a very low expectation base , I am nearly stunned at just how **** fg have been. It’s the problem with the likes of Leo and modern politicians, sit on the fence , stand for nothing. Do nothing ...

Same. They had a massive majority and opportunity in 2011 and no credible opposition. Blew it spectacularly.
    They achieved very very little of substance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Same. They had a massive majority and opportunity in 2011 and no credible opposition. Blew it spectacularly.
    They achieved very very little of substance.

Oh I wouldn't say that. Nine years of unvouched expenses and minsterial pensions aren't to be sneezed at.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Advertisement