Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

charlie14 wrote: »
    If you are holding out hopes for this Slaintecare as the golden bullet to improve our health service, then I assume you will be voting for someone others than FG.

FG, other than Harris attempting to look as if he is doing something, have no interest in it.

It is not me holding out hope, it is all political parties holding out hope.

From FF, SF, SD, Labour, SF, Greens... they ALL approve of this plan.
    Will their manifesto's fund it?

Or are they all going to go on a solo run, even after spending the last 4 years backing this plan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

FG have performed exceptionally well in the last few years. Wouldn't be surprised to see them increase their number of seats in the next election.

They have, but dont think they will increase, and certainly not by many. The Irish voter has a very superficial view of these things - if you have been in power you are to blame for any and all ill - if you havent been in power, then you will surely do better than the incumbents. Its the nature of the irish political merry go round.
    But fundamentally, yes, you are correct - voting for FG is the sensible option this time. I shall be judging my FF/FG voting choice depending on how my consituency looks, in order to maximise the FF/FG result, and to ensure the risk an SF or Ind being elected is minimised.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Fg have to remove Varadkar as leader, he is toxic and he is done. Get Coveney in... That alone, despite every farce going, might be enough for them to win more seats than FF. So if they cost is removing that joke as taoiseach, I'd imagine it would be fairly good idea!

But why would FG do that?

If FG are in for a beating, then let Leo take it, take some timeout in the opposition and let FF/SF/Greens and god knows who else fix all the problems that are apparently easy.

Go into the next election with Coveney at the helm when people want to give the government a kicking.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Oh please! You make it sound like FG are poor misunderstood victims of a fickle electorate who don't know what's giood for them!

FG had a chance in 2011 to change all that.. to drive REAL change, REAL reform, and actually move the country forward for the first time in a generation.

But nope, far more important that they had their turn at the trough and Enda's crusade for personal bests :rolleyes: All while key things in the country get worse!

That's what has brought them down (again!). The fault for that lies solely with FG.

Ah yea, in 2011 when FG went into government alone.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

markodaly wrote: »

Yet all the things Labour claimed FG were going to do if people voted for FG still happened with Labour as partner.
    Btw you thanked Jingles post claiming a raid on private pensions was part of the Troika plan with FF last night. Do you regularly thank blantant lies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Yet all the things Labour claimed FG were going to do if people voted for FG still happened with Labour as partner.
    Btw you thanked Jingles post claiming a raid on private pensions was part of the Troika plan with FF last night. Do you regularly thank blantant lies?

You were proven wrong. It was FF.

You were proven wrong. It was FF.

Really? Just because two other idiots are willing to lie.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/government-defied-the-troika-with-pension-raid-26784791.html

How do you know?

This is the Fine Gael 2011 Manifesto.
    http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/docs/fg/Fine%20Gael%20GE%202011.pdf

This is the actual programe for government
    https://merrionstreet.ie/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Programme_for_Government_2011.pdf

You can see these are two very different things.

How do you know?

This is the Fine Gael 2011 Manifesto.
    http://michaelpidgeon.com/manifestos/docs/fg/Fine%20Gael%20GE%202011.pdf

This is the actual programe for government
    https://merrionstreet.ie/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Programme_for_Government_2011.pdf

You can see these are two very different things.

Soz dude but when I see you thank what is an easily refuted lie I find it impossible to accord your comments any credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not sure if it was mentioned but Seetec/Turas Nua.

I have no problem with putting pressure on long term unemployed people to find work but the whole thing was a shambles.

• Advertisement

To add, party manifestos in the age of coalitions are worth **** all.

Its about about the programe for government and coalition,

If FG get booted out, what is the make up of the alternative government?

FF will get nowhere near a majority and even with Labour and/or SF on board could well be short, which means they will need the Greens and maybe a few Indos on top. Not very stable but hey housing and health are easy problems to fix?

Soz dude but when I see you thank what is an easily refuted lie I find it impossible to accord your comments any credibility.

Whats this now? Dont want to engage, fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

To add, party manifestos in the age of coalitions are worth **** all.

Its about about the programe for government and coalition,

If FG get booted out, what is the make up of the alternative government?

Confidence and supply again with horse and jockey reversed. Meaning FG will only be kind of 'out' I suppose...

Whats this now? Dont want to engage, fine by me.

Ah dude when a poster such as yourself thanks a lie its hard to attach legitimacy to anything you post. I
    like honesty, which you seem to have an issue with.
    Would you like me to link the lie you thanked?

Ah dude when a poster such as yourself thanks a lie its hard to attach legitimacy to anything you post. I like honesty, which you seem to have an issue with.

As far as I know, its a point of debate. There is documented evidence to suggest of FF what the other poster said was true. I am really not that bothered, but if you want to use it as a shield and mudguard yourself as to cling to some high ground, work away.

As far as I know, its a point of debate. There is documented evidence to suggest of FF what the other poster said was true. I am really not that bothered, but if you want to use it as a shield and mudguard yourself as to cling to some high ground, work away.

So there is documented evidence? feel free to prove it by posting it, if you can't I can safely assume you are also a liar . I don't need to provide a mudguard as I haven't lied or thanked one as you have.

So there is documented evidence? feel free to prove it by posting it, if you can't I can safely assume you are also a liar . I don't need to provide a mudguard as I haven't lied or thanked one as you have.

I dont give or care what you think of me.
    It is your fight with someone else.

Its going to be a long election, perhaps keep some of that high minded and moral indignation for later. :D

I dont give or care what you think of me.
    It is your fight with someone else.

Its going to be a long election, perhaps keep some of that high minded and moral indignation for later. :D

Dude the only thing that annoys me is lies, I found it sad that you were willing to thank a lie. I don't like your politics but I could respect your difference of opinion but when I saw you thank a lie to me it shows you to be unworthy of an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Charlie does.

Historian accuses Government of using advisory group ‘like a mud guard’

On Tuesday, Professor Ferriter said the advisory group, which comprises of himself and other professional historians under the chairmanship of Dr Maurice Manning, did not recommend that a service for the RIC and the DMP be included in the list of State commemorations.

“What we stated was that ‘consideration should be given to the organisation of specific initiatives to commemorate the RIC and the DMP and to acknowledge their place in history’,” he continued.

“What we had in mind was an academic event - a conference or seminar - that would look at the issue of policing in Ireland during the revolutionary period, including the role of and disbandment of the RIC and the foundation of the Civic Guard, which became An Garda Sh. ”

He said the advisory group “should not be used by the Government as a mudguard to provide cover for itself
    when it receives negative reaction to its solo runs in relation to commemoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FG have performed exceptionally well in the last few years. Wouldn't be surprised to see them increase their number of seats in the next election.

OK I'll bite...

Please give examples of their exceptional performance over the last few years.

If you're going to blithely say "jobs" and "the economy", please remember that both are a direct result of the global economy having recovered after the crash, and Ireland's financial prosperity (or otherwise) being directly linked to this.

I would like to see examples referring to say healthcare, housing (specifically the rental market), insurance costs and the threat to small/medium businesses, crime, the very high costs of living, transport and infrastructure, and perhaps also things like political ethics and standards.

Now, bear in mind that these are questions that most voters will be asking about in the coming weeks too, so I certainly would like to hear an apparently very pro-FG voter's take on the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's well documented that Labour "sold out" their own supporters for a turn at the trough - remember Pat Rabbite's view on election promises? No, here's a refresher :

Labour in fact went so far as to become FG lite, and dearly paid for it in 2016.

Labour certainly had a part to play, but FG were calling the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mickdoocey

fine gael have overseen some dreadful policies and leo is a very poor Taoiseach with zero personality.
    the biggest mistake they made was they should have scrapped the usc in last budget. its a stealth tax and should go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's well documented that Labour "sold out" their own supporters for a turn at the trough - remember Pat Rabbite's view on election promises? No, here's a refresher :

Labour in fact went so far as to become FG lite, and dearly paid for it in 2016.

I would like to see one socially positive thing or even a thing FG tried to bring in and Labour said no.
    We get that bull**** FG excuse constantly.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

SF are a credible alternative to the big two. Their policies are quite reasonable now. I would also say that Lab or the SDP are also good alternatives.
    The labour party did protect the vulnerable in government by preferring more taxes than cuts.
    However there is still a sizeable amount of the ekectorate who thinks the state could have told the Trokia to **** off . Look at what happened to Greece.
    Bottom line is the state was spending in excess of 20 billion a year more than it took in . We ran out of lenders and they had us by the balls.
    However I would used the opportunity to reform the State. That was missed. Offering redundancy to all public servants who were eligible was a mistake. Would have been better to make redundant those that were not needed.

However I find it hard to support them because of the way they dumbed down the junior cert.(labour)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's a good bitchy start to the week from Finian McGrath (IND)TD.

'Here we are having to talk about an election with Storm Brendan blowing outside'.

Has somebody foreseen his comfy seat/ministerial position blowing in the wind?

mickdoocey wrote: »
    fine gael have overseen some dreadful policies and leo is a very poor Taoiseach with zero personality.
    the biggest mistake they made was they should have scrapped the usc in last budget. its a stealth tax and should go.

Really ? Scrapped the USC ? That leaves a hole of about one billion in public finances . How would you fill that ?
    I understand your annoyance at the tax . It eats into all income.
    However this state owes 200 billion. A very high debt in terms of population. Besides health and housing no extra money should be paid to anything

That's a good bitchy start to the week from Finian McGrath (IND)TD.

'Here we are having to talk about an election with Storm Brendan blowing outside'.

Has somebody foreseen his comfy seat/ministerial position blowing in the wind?
    The storm will be over in a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

No, no, no... Labour's only failure was in getting it's message across; it "paid the price" in making "the right decision" to "take on the responsibility of Government during the worst economic crisis in the history of the State".

Those are quotes from Gilmore's resignation speech and a summary of the party's position to this day on it's time in government. Not just hypocrites reneging on their 2011 election promises, but arrogant ones who continue to argue they did nothing wrong and the only problem is that the people are too dim to understand and appreciate the sacrifices Labour made on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bobtheman wrote: »
    SF are a credible alternative to the big two. Their policies are quite reasonable now. I would also say that Lab or the SDP are also good alternatives.
    The labour party did protect the vulnerable in government by preferring more taxes than cuts.
    However there is still a sizeable amount of the ekectorate who thinks the state could have told the Trokia to **** off . Look at what happened to Greece.
    Bottom line is the state was spending in excess of 20 billion a year more than it took in . We ran out of lenders and they had us by the balls.
    However I would used the opportunity to reform the State. That was missed. Offering redundancy to all public servants who were eligible was a mistake. Would have been better to make redundant those that were not needed.

However I find it hard to support them because of the way they dumbed down the junior cert.(labour)

I’d never vote labour , but the people that voted for them , must have been off the wall delusional with their expectations. Labours way or Frankfurt’s way etc! No, Europe keeping was the gravy train going here, which is exactly what every party wanted here, particularly those on the left. If they didn’t want Frankfurt’s way, call their bluff and riSk no lending and having to bring spending into line with state income. Now that would have seen “ tough decisions “! That was a chance of a fresh start ! Instead of business as usual in every aspect , that we have had. Labours performance which has then destroyed , was far better than fg to date imo. Then burton speaks the truth about the water protesters in the ironically name “ jobstown”. It cuts to the core of why things don’t and cant get done here , the media and politicians won’t touch most issues with a bargepole, if you deny issues even exist , how can you even dream of addressing them ? ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Can anyone name one FG minister that actually did well and accomplished anything since 2016?

Advertisement