Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can anyone name one FG minister that actually did well and accomplished anything since 2016?

Once Fine Gael were convinced by others that special status for NI was the only game in town and moved away from dismissing it as Kenny had been doing, Simon Coveney did well along with Helen McEntee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Oh dear. Micheal Martin is twisting the knife into Leo on the Sean O'Rourke show.

FF are ready for war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A bit off-topic, but Micheál Martin really put the boot in to SF as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Oh dear. Micheal Martin is twisting the knife into Leo on the Sean O'Rourke show.

FF are ready for war.

It suited them for long enough to sit on the fence. Martin was even on the fence over the RIC commemoration.

I wont forget FF's complicity in the performance of this shambolic Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It suited them for long enough to sit on the fence. Martin was even on the fence over the RIC commemoration.

I wont forget FF's complicity in the performance of this shambolic Govt.

So who's getting your vote then ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Dara Calleary came across very poorly on the radio this morning. When asked about a post election agreement with Fine Gael he gave a very meagre response. Not good, especially as he is the director of elections, poor enough.

I would be worried if Fianna Fáil have notions of getting into power after Valentines day. Online FG smear campaigns are too lazy IMO. Most people who use online forums are very comfortable with who they are voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Dara Calleary came across very poorly on the radio this morning. When asked about a post election agreement with Fine Gael he gave a very meagre response. Not good, especially as he is the director of elections, poor enough.

I would be worried if Fianna Fáil have notions of getting into power after Valentines day. Online FG smear campaigns are too lazy IMO. Most people who use online forums are very comfortable with who they are voting for.
    They do have a narrow line to navigate lest voters get reminded too often of their record from 2007-2011. All spin seems to be the starting jibe. I expect the promises to help hard pressed voters to follow. The other question is what will resonate with voters, despite the insistence of some boardsies that they already know!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Not just hypocrites reneging on their 2011 election promises, but arrogant ones who continue to argue they did nothing wrong and the only problem is that the people are too dim to understand and appreciate the sacrifices Labour made on their behalf.

I think this is the key to Labour's failure to make any significant recovery with the voters. At least Ruairi Quinn had the grace to admit he broke his promise on student fees, but Gilmore and Rabbitte are as brazen as ever. I'm convinced they will only get back anywhere near where they were when they elect a leader not complicit in the promise-breaking of 2011 who does a proper mea culpa to the electorate on behalf of the party, along these lines

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Really ? Scrapped the USC ? That leaves a hole of about one billion in public finances . How would you fill that ?
    I understand your annoyance at the tax . It eats into all income.
    However this state owes 200 billion. A very high debt in terms of population. Besides health and housing no extra money should be paid to anything
    health as its a black hole. Housing (but the system is a shambles) and infrastructure!

FG and FF both on the bandwagon of throwing the pensioners are fiver every budget, at least if they agree on that. We wont have to hear about the farce, every single budget!

Either way, they are going to be constrained with what they do, because neither are prepared to change anything and neither will increase LPT etc, it puts the fear of god into them. What interests me is, what happens when the economy stops booming? Where does the money to fund the health black hole etc come from then? It doenst even need to implode again, to start putting them in awkward positions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mattser wrote: »
    So who's getting your vote then ?

Likely to be SocDems, possibly Sinn Fein.

The two Civil War parties are hampering the progress of the country and we need a Government once and for all without their involvement to mature. They have had their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

markodaly wrote: »
    It is not me holding out hope, it is all political parties holding out hope.

From FF, SF, SD, Labour, SF, Greens... they ALL approve of this plan.
    Will their manifesto's fund it?

Or are they all going to go on a solo run, even after spending the last 4 years backing this plan....

You are missing one other party in that group, Fine Gael.
    Yet you are expecting all other parties to base their funding of the health service budgets in their manifestos on Slaintecare, when nobody in FG is backing it other than Harris.:confused:

Varadkar didn`t even turn up for the launch, and the Minister for Finance has no interest in it.
    2 years into a 10 year plan from an annual health budget of 17 billion, all FG have allocated it is 20 million, and the finance minister has no intention of providing it with a budget for implementation.

If FG, whose own Health Minister is promoting this plan, have no faith in it, why do you somehow believe all other parties should rigidly adhere to it?

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/why-do-we-tax-income-instead-of-wealth/

just an extract below, the points all remain the same and valid though...

"In 2017, our government took in just over €50.7 billion in taxes. The breakdown of this figure reveals our preferences. But before we become party political and start roaring for an election to change things immediately, understand that the way we tax things is the culmination of years of policy from both the left and the right. It is not something new, but something that has evolved.

Here’s the breakdown. We raise nearly €20 billion or close to 40 per cent of all tax revenue from income tax. These are taxes on effort and hard work; these taxes also reduce people’s take-home pay, adding to the pinch for the squeezed middle.

A further €13 billion was taken in VAT, which is a tax on buying and selling almost everything (except for food and children’s clothes). It’s a tax on economic activity. We raise 26 per cent of our total tax take from charges on commercial activity. VAT is a tax on commerce and the wheels that make the system go round but it adds to the cost of everything. Obviously, a tax that pushes up prices on most things reduces the buying power of people’s salaries, which are already compromised by income tax.

Nearly €6 billion was raised in excise duty – essentially petrol, fags and booze, the “old reliables”. Excise duty also pushes up prices directly and again eats into take-home pay.

This means that some €39 billion of the State’s €50.7 billion income is taken from the income of the average worker, the people who drive the economy."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If he was asked specifically about FF propping up another FG minority government, or entering full coalition with FG as a junior partner, it was a tricky one for him. It's clearly not a prospect that arouses any enthusiasm among FF members and voters but they cannot afford to rule it out as it may be the only feasible government after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,569 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'm sure I won't be alone voting for independents to hopefully protect my my own local area.
    I don't trust any of the political parties in this country anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I'm sure I won't be alone voting for independents to hopefully protect my my own local area.
    I don't trust any of the political parties in this country anymore.

Independents can't deliver unless they actually support a government. Unless they prop up and vote for the government they are unable to deliver on whatever idealistic garbage they spewed out to you on your doorstep.

Voting for an independent who is not interested in getting into government and implementing change is pointless and frankly a waste of your vote.

This election will be dirty I reckon.
    MMartin was angry on Radio 1 earlier. He couldn't help mention the absentee FG TD (Dara Murphy) and even said Maria Bailey might not vote for the government in future.

MMartin was angry on Radio 1 earlier. He couldn't help mention the absentee FG TD (Dara Murphy) and even said Maria Bailey might not vote for the government in future.
    That seems silly as neither will be TDs in the next Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I reckon so too. I get the distinct feeling the Bailey thing isn't done yet.

is_that_so wrote: »

Here's hoping Bailey runs as an Independent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That's a good bitchy start to the week from Finian McGrath (IND)TD.

'Here we are having to talk about an election with Storm Brendan blowing outside'.

Has somebody foreseen his comfy seat/ministerial position blowing in the wind?

Himself on the fence and Boxer Moran talking of going it alone for the election, because of his own record no doubt :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Can anyone name one FG minister that actually did well and accomplished anything since 2016?

Dara Murphy got paid, didn't turn up much and got a great job over in Europe for his troubles. That's a pretty good accomplishment.

It's about how Varadkar/FG tackled them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

One of them might as well not have been in the last one either. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

I reckon so too. I get the distinct feeling the Bailey thing isn't done yet.

And it wont be either...when it comes to writing the post election story, I'm pretty sure that Maria's name will be mentioned..often !!! And far into the future too. And rightly so !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Independents can't deliver unless they actually support a government. Unless they prop up and vote for the government they are unable to deliver on whatever idealistic garbage they spewed out to you on your doorstep.

Voting for an independent who is not interested in getting into government and implementing change is pointless and frankly a waste of your vote.

I fell for it in 2011 when I voted for Labour to keep a check on FG.

Had I voted for an Indie back then, I doubt they could have done any worse.

Here's hoping Bailey runs as an Independent!
    No hope for her. Ex-party stalwarts imagine that they have a personal vote. Very few do. Even Lucinda was convinced they liked her!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I’d never vote labour , but the people that voted for them , must have been off the wall delusional with their expectations. Labours way or Frankfurt’s way etc! No, Europe keeping was the gravy train going here, which is exactly what every party wanted here, particularly those on the left. If they didn’t want Frankfurt’s way, call their bluff and riSk no lending and having to bring spending into line with state income. Now that would have seen “ tough decisions “! That was a chance of a fresh start ! Instead of business as usual in every aspect , that we have had. Labours performance which has then destroyed , was far better than fg to date imo. Then burton speaks the truth about the water protesters in the ironically name “ jobstown”. It cuts to the core of why things don’t and cant get done here , the media and politicians won’t touch most issues with a bargepole, if you deny issues even exist , how can you even dream of addressing them ? ...

While I can sense your points it's hard to read.
    I think you are delusional. Suddenly cutting 20 billion in expenditure would have brought Mass disturbance
    Multi nationals would have fled
    Don't get me Wrong we should have used opportunity to really reform. We missed that

It's about how Varadkar/FG tackled them.
    Yeah but FF have that economy meltdown that can be used. They'd need to target selectively. The usual they are a terrible government, vote for us route is lined with potholes for both parties. I think FF would be better off focusing on their own visions and plans rather than get sucked into that.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I fell for it in 2011 when I voted for Labour to keep a check on FG.

Had I voted for an Indie back then, I doubt they could have done any worse.

labour did exactly what they could have reasonably been expected to do!

• Advertisement

Yep Bailey's political career is born from the FG dynasty and dependent on the FG or bust voter.

Advertisement