Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bobtheman wrote: »
    While I can sense your points it's hard to read.
    I think you are delusional. Suddenly cutting 20 billion in expenditure would have brought Mass disturbance
    Multi nationals would have fled
    Don't get me Wrong we should have used opportunity to really reform. We missed that

that is my point. They borrowed an absolute fortune, basically to keep everything as it was. Look if I was a politician, I'd probably lie about "hard choices" can hardly spin it any other way to the electorate. But they gave them their fix, their line of credit, which suited many here , down to the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah but FF have that economy meltdown that can be used. They'd need to target selectively. The usual they are a terrible government, vote for us route is lined with potholes for both parties. I think FF would be better off focusing on their own visions and plans rather than get sucked into that.

No way. They don't have any anyone will believe.
    They'll come out with the usual FG/FF promises that mean little and we all know it.
    They will do what Kenny did and concentrate on attacking with a few big promises for health and housing.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

charlie14 wrote: »
    I fell for it in 2011 when I voted for Labour to keep a check on FG.

Had I voted for an Indie back then, I doubt they could have done any worse.

The labour manifestatio called for more taxes and less cuts. However most people don't read manifestos.(including me)
    I still think it was better to have labour in than out. Because FG would have completely eroded public expenditure without taxing the wealthy
    Where I parted company with LAb was over them buying into bull**** education reforms

The labour manifestatio called for more taxes and less cuts. However most people don't read manifestos.
    I still think it was better to have labour in than out. Because FG would have completely eroded public expenditure without taxing the wealthy
    Where I parted company with LAb was over them buying into bull**** education reforms

I wanted Labour to be opposition, they might have walked the next election.
    I parted after Reilly's clinics and not backing Shortall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

charlie14 wrote: »
    I fell for it in 2011 when I voted for Labour to keep a check on FG.

Had I voted for an Indie back then, I doubt they could have done any worse.

I don't get the logic of voting for independents unless you actually believe they are going to achieve something. Protest votes are pointless and unproductive.

You are far better off voting for what you believe in and for a party that can deliver it.

You might think that by voting for some idealistic imbecile that you are actually achieving something. But the reality is that you are actually highlighting one of the greatest weaknesses in modern democracy. Most of the independents who take their seats sit there cranking for 3 or 4 years and are unable to progress any of their ideas unless they pledge their support to the government, if they are even given that option. More often than not they end up sitting in opposition wasting everyone's time.

If you support independents be prepared to suffer for what they won't ever deliver. In the meantime the world keeps moving and nothing gets done. You are far better off making sincere demands off the politicians that can actually make a difference and implement change. Cranks never get the option.

• Advertisement

The labour manifestatio called for more taxes and less cuts. However most people don't read manifestos.

when you ditch one party, you think another party, who just have never had power, so havent been able to disappoint yet. Is your best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No way. They don't have any anyone will believe.
    They'll come out with the usual FG/FF promises that mean little and we all know it.
    They will do what Kenny did and concentrate on attacking with a few big promises for health and housing.
    Sure but the problem of attacking is that they get hit as well just as hard.

Sure but the problem of attacking is that they get hit as well just as hard.

True but people will favour change. I think FF will out preform FG.

I wanted Labour to be opposition, they might have walked the next election.
    I parted after Reilly's clinics and not backing Shortall.

Ah Jesus ? Politicians placing a clinic or hospital in their area ? Around for decades. Half the issue with the HSE. Political interference

Possibly. Gonna be tight.

• Advertisement

Sad to say but I think you are right. The housing issue is about ten years away to being solved. I'm not convinced FF have any radicalism. They are led by an old time politician. Look at radical proposals the last few years -O Reilly's health reforms and ask what went wrong ? The two main parties are cap in hand with the permanent government

One radical reform would be give HSE complete power to open or shut hospitals on medical/resource grounds.

Ah Jesus ? Politicians placing a clinic or hospital in their area ? Around for decades. Half the issue with the HSE. Political interference

It was more involved than that. You should look it up before dismissing it. Was enough for me when Labour sat on their hands while he, as health minister, decided to put two of them in his own constituency while ignoring other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I reckon so too. I get the distinct feeling the Bailey thing isn't done yet.

If a lad had a copy of the swinging night video and was a bit prone to making mistakes on his computer- hitting send instead of save- 'oops', what would be the optimal time for this mistake to happen?

10 days before polling day or nearer?

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    If a lad had a copy of the swinging night video and was a bit prone to making mistakes on his computer- hitting send instead of save- 'oops', what would be the optimal time for this mistake to happen?

that video would be worth a good few bob to the independent group etc... either that or extort bailey and Fg, would love if the shoe was on the other foot!

Possibly. Gonna be tight.

Only based on how much people are willing to forgive FF or hate FG. Neither ever really get in on their merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Would we the public know if an injunction had been slapped on someone who wanted to publish it? Or is that info kept secret too?

I think the doing nothing, just doesnt cut it anymore, thats clear. I think FFG just need to form a strong coalition and decide how they are going to tackle issues together. You dont need to do a good job to retain power in this country, you just have to not be appalling!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think the doing nothing, just doesnt cut it anymore, thats clear. I think FFG just need to form a strong coalition and decide how they are going to tackle issues together. You dont need to do a good job to retain power in this country, you just have to not be appalling!

But fixing or tackling the crises would damage private profits. They've zero interest.

But fixing or tackling the crises would damage private profits. They've zero interest.

this is what I cannot wait to find out, I suspect you are right. But the doing nothing option, isnt really an option for them anymore. Very interesting times ahead!

years of attacking FG on housing and every other issue, after they themselves have never done a good job in leading the country! Well lets go lads, I think we are all sick and tired of the talking! ACT!

• Advertisement

FF will build lots of social housing IMO.
    FG are happy with things as is. They can only offer to tinker here and there. They've ran this course.

FF will build lots of social housing IMO.
    FG are happy with things as is. They can only offer to tinker here and there. They've ran this course.

I dont really have an interest in social housing, what are they going to do about affordable housing I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Lets not forget the TD that glassed someone, or the councillor in Monaghan organising dodgy deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I didn't hear the Michael Martin interview on SOR show yet, but what he said about Bailey was that Leo apparently didn't have her assurance that she would back the govt in the confidence motion on Simon Harris.

Martin cliams Leo told him that himself during a recent meeting between them.

The Maria Bailey controversy is far from finished I think, and this election will be messy.

Idbatterim wrote: »

Would not be the worst outcome

McMurphy wrote: »
    I didn't hear the Michael Martin interview on SOR show yet, but what he said about Bailey was that Leo apparently didn't have her assurance that she would back the govt in the confidence motion on Simon Harris.

Martin cliams Leo told him that himself during a recent meeting between them.

The Maria Bailey controversy is far from finished I think, and this election will be messy.

Bailey might run yet. Who knows. She did a stupid thing but compared to the stupid mistakes of our politicians she is not the worst. Look at Martin. He sat at cabinet table as we hit iceberg. Now he is on the verge of being Taoiseach?!

I'm from a predominantly FG area. Always was since I can remember.
    The FF and FG shams have rivalry but it's akin to two brothers who don't hang out together but always know blood is thicker than water.
    They will support each other if it comes to it.
    I would love them to join up as one, but that will never happen.
    All we can do is hope one of them decides to look out for the tax payer but alas any such move will hit their profit margin and that's all either are about.
    What we can reasonably hope for is the odd policy. FF will build social and affordable.
    The trouble for the Greens is one or both will simply take on which ever green policies become popular making the Greens pointless.
    FF use to be hilarious in a dark comedic way with their inappropriate brown envelope deals but FG are outdoing them there these days.

Bailey might run yet. Who knows. She did a stupid thing but compared to the stupid mistakes of our politicians she is not the worst. Look at Martin. He sat at cabinet table as we hit iceberg. Now he is on the verge of being Taoiseach?!
    I can't see how she would want to bring more indignity on herself and face the possibility of abuse. She's burned politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching the news here.

How poor a leader are you when, when standing beside Boris Johnson in NI today, you look like an aide parroting your boss.

That's our Leo

• Advertisement

I can't see how she would want to bring more indignity on herself and face the possibility of abuse. She's burned politically.

She's FG stock. Arrogance and entitlement.

Advertisement