Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She's FG stock. Arrogance and entitlement.
    Soon to be ex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

as you were, as you were

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Harris will keep his seat.
    Ridiculous that he is only 33 but was put in charge of a huge ministry.
    It's hard for the public to fully figure out the health service.
    To listen to the news you'd think nobody got treated.
    However political interference is a problem. Locals want a hospital even when it makes no sense .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Be interesting to see what the good people of Wicklow make of Stephen "Lanigan's Ball" Donnelly this time out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

honestly, I would say Varadkar would be doing the country a lot more good going back to being a doctor here, than doing absolutely nothing politically. Plenty of others here who will fill his political role of doing nothing except talk

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what the good people of Wicklow make of Stephen "Lanigan's Ball" Donnelly this time out!

He is an asset to FF - he has a first class brain. He was right to move into one of the parties. You cannot influence policy from the ditch - or at least, you can't influence it to the same degree.

MM needs to give him a very senior position. He worked at McKinsey, and if given the autonomy and resources, could do very well.

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    He is an asset to FF - he has a first class brain. He was right to move into one of the parties. You cannot influence policy from the ditch - or at least, you can't influence it to the same degree.

MM needs to give him a very senior position. He worked at McKinsey, and if given the autonomy and resources, could do very well.

I used to rate him, I have heard him talk a lot recent total BS over the last year or two though!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    honestly, I would say Varadkar would be doing the country a lot more good going back to being a doctor here, than doing absolutely nothing politically. Plenty of others here who will fill his political role of doing nothing except talk

The government are doing a great job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Just listening to Michael Harty on Drivetime, a fair minded and honorable independent. He talks about the inability of Harris to engage with him and front line staff. He said Leo and he haven't spoken in two years. Imagine that? he said that Harris was not able to engage with a TD doctor on health issues. he is absolutely an incompetent minister who will be voted on the coat tails of introducing abortion into this country.

If you ever wanted evidence for what an out of touch, West Brit, elitist government we have, this is it. I'm a big fan of PD, SC, HMcE, and a few others - but apart from these very competent politicians, FG is a vacuum of talent. This include the Taoiseach himself, who has a very weak CV and little achievement.

Pretty damning interview. Dr Michael Harty (Chair of the Committee on Health) essentially said Harris is not a good listener so did not understand the real problems in the HSE. He is not going for re-election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just listening to Michael Harty on Drivetime, a fair minded and honorable independent. He talks about the inability of Harris to engage with him and front line staff. He said Leo and he haven't spoken in two years. Imagine that? he said that Harris was not able to engage with a TD doctor on health issues. he is absolutely an incompetent minister who will be voted on the coat tails of introducing abortion into this country.

If you ever wanted evidence for what an out of touch, West Brit, elitist government we have, this is it. I'm a big fan of PD, SC, HMcE, and a few others - but apart from these very competent politicians, FG is a vacuum of talent. This include the Taoiseach himself, who has a very weak CV and little achievement.

Varadkar, Harris and Murphy are arguably 3 of their most clueless and unqualified for their roles. All spin masters.

They all actually would make far better politicians if they went and got some real world experience in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Varadkar, Harris and Murphy are arguably 3 of their most clueless and unqualified for their roles. All spin masters.

They all actually would make far better politicians if they went and got some real world experience in the private sector.

I think Murphy's lineage stems from the Granda who 'looked after' Gay Byrne's money, the father who worked in one of the tribunals and now we've him, a journalism grad looking after housing during the housing crisis. Seems perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Varadkar has been a disappointment, and I predict that FG will lose the election. Anyone who knew Varadkar in his student days or before were in awe - he had such vision, and was single-minded in his pursuit of his career objectives. Since becoming Taoiseach, he has shown no vision and no leadership -

Did that 'vision' stretch beyond his career objectives. In a way, Leo in office has turned out a bit like Boris Johnson. 'Boris' created this bumbling toff persona to boost his public profile and further his rise to the top. But now he's finally got there he appears to have largely dropped the persona - PMQs is now a businesslike laugh-free zone apparently - and seems like a bit of an empty suit...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The labour manifestatio called for more taxes and less cuts. However most people don't read manifestos.(including me)
    I still think it was better to have labour in than out. Because FG would have completely eroded public expenditure without taxing the wealthy
    Where I parted company with LAb was over them buying into bull**** education reforms

Far as I could see they bought into everything. it would not have mattered if they were out as they bought into everything.
    The final straw for me was their opposing water charges until they got their bums on cabinet seats whereupon Moany Joany and Alan Kelly became the poster couple for implementation.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I don't get the logic of voting for independents unless you actually believe they are going to achieve something. Protest votes are pointless and unproductive.

You are far better off voting for what you believe in and for a party that can deliver it.

You might think that by voting for some idealistic imbecile that you are actually achieving something. But the reality is that you are actually highlighting one of the greatest weaknesses in modern democracy. Most of the independents who take their seats sit there cranking for 3 or 4 years and are unable to progress any of their ideas unless they pledge their support to the government, if they are even given that option. More often than not they end up sitting in opposition wasting everyone's time.

If you support independents be prepared to suffer for what they won't ever deliver. In the meantime the world keeps moving and nothing gets done. You are far better off making sincere demands off the politicians that can actually make a difference and implement change. Cranks never get the option.

No fan of this Independent Alliance, but individually in this Dail term they have delivered more for their constituents than FG backbench TD`s who under the party whip system have to sit there keeping their mouths shut and vote as they are told.
    Not a fan of Michael Lowry either, a crook as far as I`m concerned, but the same can be said of him.
    I know we should all think of the national interest, but in reality as Tip O`Neill said "All politics is local".

That said, health, homelessness and housing would be my main concerns when it comes to voting and no independent is going to sort any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/tds-still-claiming-hundreds-of-euro-for-scrapped-data-roaming-charges-974943.html

How does this fella manage to top every expense claims chart that's compiled? How the fcuk is he still in office? People talk about Lowry, the Healy Raes etc, Alan Farrell is right up there with them, I'd go as far as to say he's worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/tds-still-claiming-hundreds-of-euro-for-scrapped-data-roaming-charges-974943.html

How does this fella manage to top every expense claims chart that's compiled? How the fcuk is he still in office? People talk about Lowry, the Healy Raes etc, Alan Farrell is right up there with them, I'd go as far as to say he's worse.

If his constituents re-elect this vile man, I will give up on the Irish electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watching the news here.

How poor a leader are you when, when standing beside Boris Johnson in NI today, you look like an aide parroting your boss.

That's our Leo

It's even worse second time around (9pm news). He stands there nodding as Boris talks to the interviewer, then just repeats what he said :rolleyes:

lads this just back up what I was saying about the bailout etc and labour or frankfurts way. Our lads are absolute irrelevances in the scheme of things, puppy dogs! They were never ever going to be the ones calling the shots or dictating anything!

Also this is borris we are talking about! and they were going to stick it to Merkel and Jean claude trichet etc?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    lads this just back up what I was saying about the bailout etc and labour or frankfurts way. Our lads are absolute irrelevances in the scheme of things, puppy dogs! They were never ever going to be the ones calling the shots or dictating anything!

Also this is borris we are talking about! and they were going to stick it to Merkel and Jean claude trichet etc?

Nope, but expect much to be made about how FG have restored power sharing up North in the next few weeks (a cynical me says Leo waited until that crossed the line before announcing the date).

Genuinely great to see, but I'd be far more impressed by real progress on our domestic issues.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope, but expect much to be made about how FG have restored power sharing up North in the next few weeks (a cynical me says Leo waited until that crossed the line before announcing the date).

Genuinely great to see, but I'd be far more impressed by real progress on our domestic issues.

Great to see, but I cannot see FG claiming credit for it carrying much weight.

The Tories had threatened to call Assembly elections if it was not sorted by today, and with a recent bad British GE the DUP did not need another election. Especially with the possibility of the cash for ash inquiry report coming out in the middle of an election campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

is_that_so wrote: »
    No hope for her. Ex-party stalwarts imagine that they have a personal vote. Very few do. Even Lucinda was convinced they liked her!

Or, while there are some that like to effectively spoil their votes by giving it to an independent, there are enough adults in the room who ignore them and vote for parties in order to have some form of responsible government. Just go for an out and out spoiled vote if you want to, rather than the self harm that is voting for independents.

Or, while there are some that like to effectively spoil their votes by giving it to an independent, there are enough adults in the room who ignore them and vote for parties in order to have some form of responsible government. Just go for an out and out spoiled vote if you want to, rather than the self harm that is voting for independents.

So you'd advocate voting for a party you don't like because they might win? That's beyond ridiculous IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

So you'd advocate voting for a party you don't like because they might win? That's beyond ridiculous IMO.

No, I'd advocate not voting for independents, because the gum up the chances of a decent government.

Peter Casey being the exception, delighted that legend is running. The one and only positive of this election for me

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I believe they do not have an honest bone between the lot of them but struggle as I doubt there is any better. But on topic a couple of things that may or may not have come up:
    1) Setting up primary care centers and lording over that they built them when in fact the truth couldn't be further away. In instances they sold public buildings and land to private developers, who then developed the PCCs. They then sold these to foreign investors TAX FREE. The result is many-fold:
    A) Local health care practices ("privately owned") were closed down as they were told join up or go under. This results in numerous other building losing valuable tenants that added much to their area.

B) The HSE rents huge sections of them at massively inflated rent for vary long terms where often little work is done (not always the case). So they not only give away our resources tax free and have them then sold to foreign investors but then pay way over the odds to rent them back!!!
    2) Nothing meaningful done on packaging: No sensible approach to recycling (what is actually recycled and where?), no realistic penalty on manufacturers to stop using plastic.
    3) No meaningful budget or plan for pedestrians or cyclists. Increases in begging buttons about the best they can do.
    4) Planning: IN Dublin, my town, there is a proliferation on build to rent which will move the population into unsuitable accommodation that they cannot ever buy and again a lot by foreign investment for this...Bye Bye forever to our properties. Pricey student accommodation complexes making student life harder and more expensive and again more "rent" properties.

Just a few bug bears of mine but you can see where they are going and it doesn't look nice.

No, I'd advocate not voting for independents, because the gum up the chances of a decent government.

Is this a blame everyone but the party with the most seats?
    It still seems like you'd prefer a 'stable' government regardless of who they are.
    We get the people we vote for.

We know what FF and FG are. People should only vote for them if they like that kind of thing. Stable national crises are not for this voter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Crime also an utter failure under FG. Feuds going on all over the place. Man shot in Drogeheda this evening and headless body found in Coolock.

Doesn't even shock me anymore. Totally out of their dept and you could say this Government has lost control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Crime also an utter failure under FG. Feuds going on all over the place. Man shot in Drogeheda this evening and headless body found in Coolock.

Doesn't even shock me anymore. Totally out of their dept and you could say this Government has lost control.

Gang crime began with this government ? Go for a walk in the fresh air will you.

mattser wrote: »
    Gang crime began with this government ? Go for a walk in the fresh air will you.

That's not what he said, but they have completely failed to deal with it adequately. Certainly closing down lots of Garda stations didn't help.

Maybe the plan is to let the place run down and sell the Gardai off to OCP? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

FF will build lots of social housing IMO.
    FG are happy with things as is. They can only offer to tinker here and there. They've ran this course.

How?

Advertisement