Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Boggles wrote: »
    You don't have half a million waiting to see a consultant in a welfare state.

But you keep going ahead talking complete boll

Can't recall the mod in question, but I know someone posted on here that their child was born with (forget the name of the condition exactly) a condition that causes a curve in the child's spine.

Waiting a couple of years for a consultant to see her in a Dublin public hospital, the consultant works out of (when they turn up).

They (understandably) got fed up waiting and decided to go private, and lo and behold, the same consultant was able to see the kid in a few days.

We are building a children's hospital in Dublin, which apparently is going to cost the tax payers more to build than what the tallest building in the world cost ( Burj Khalifa ), which incidentally will have doors that lead into private clinics, where as can be seen from the story above - they receive preferential treatment because money talks.

Its absolutely scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

if thats not a welfare state, i dont know what it is.

Yes, you clearly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Can't recall the mod in question, but I know someone posted on here that their child was born with (forget the name of the condition exactly) a condition that causes a curve in the child's spine.

Waiting a couple of years for a consultant to see her in a Dublin public hospital, the consultant works out of (when they turn up).

They (understandably) got fed up waiting and decided to go private, and lo and behold, the same consultant was able to see the kid in a few days.

We are building a children's hospital in Dublin, which apparently is going to cost the tax payers more to build than what the tallest building in the world cost ( Burj Khalifa ), which incidentally will have doors that lead into private clinics, where as can be seen from the story above - they receive preferential treatment because money talks.

Its absolutely scandalous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa#Incidents

"Press reports indicated in 2006 that skilled carpenters at the site earned £4.34 a day, and labourers earned £2.84.[127] According to a BBC investigation and a Human Rights Watch report, the workers were housed in abysmal conditions, and worked long hours for low pay."

Now the government is being criticised for not being able to employ slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes, you clearly don't.

a withering retort to my post

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

And isn't he entitled to that view?

of course he is, but to call them a left leaning party! come on now!

• Advertisement

a withering retort to my post

Lets bring into sharp focus.

215,000 children on waiting lists; One in four waiting longer than a year

That doesn't happen in a Welfare State.

Now I imagine you will keep comically misusing the term whatever I say, you have your own version of reality and you are not for budging. I understand that.

So as you were lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This is common.

And, as far as I can see, not many people want this to change.

Consultants want to be able to earn huge income in private practice.

Insurers want customers.

Many people want to be able to skip the queue.

Many voters like the existence of private hosps.

Maybe if we trained way more doctors, that might help.

Mind you, we do train a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

They also stood over the taking away tax free allowance for single fathers who are paying maintenance....

Yes there was a time when if you were paying maintenance for a few or one kid as a single guy you'd be given a tax free allowance.

Now there's one for you now FG

Now I imagine you will keep comically misusing the term whatever I say, you have your own version of reality and you are not for budging. I understand that.

So as you were lad.

Note that these are not 215,000 unique children, as many kids will be on two lists.

In the last hour, I received this message from a friend of mine:

"In Temple Street for check up and eeg. Sitting here on my own for last hour in waiting room in state of the art neurology dept. Have seen 3 patients in total incl my child yet there are 8 admin/medical staff mainly drinking coffee and planning their Christmas party. The Neurology dept in UHG is usually packed every day. Makes you wonder....."

.....the girl on reception has greeted 4 patients, used the photocopier twice and not touched the phone since 9am. And it's soon time for coffee break!!""

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I'd like to know which country the OP would like to emulate? Not some answer like the healthcare of France and the tax rate of Dubai but an actual country as a whole. And city-states don't count for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jesus, do we need another FG thread?

Yeah, I hate the way I've to go into threads I have no interest in .

Geuze wrote: »
    This is common.

And, as far as I can see, not many people want this to change.

Consultants want to be able to earn huge income in private practice.

Insurers want customers.

Many people want to be able to skip the queue.

Many voters like the existence of private hosps.

Maybe if we trained way more doctors, that might help.

Mind you, we do train a lot.

have all citizens been surveyed to come to all these conclusions?

My friend works in UHG, and discusses it below:

"Our medical records dept is very busy as the workload is directly linked to Outpatient clinics which are always oversubscribed and still very "paper heavy". But the rest of HSE admin could be slashed in my opinion judging by the UHG staff canteen full of women drinking coffee and yapping. The 15 minute 11 o'clock break can easily stretch to 45 minutes. There are about 40 people in finance and 30 in HR. Sure payroll software should get rid of half of them. I always wonder what HR do when there's a hiring embargo. And don't get me started on Merlin Park...."

Now, I don't think he's correct on the hiring embargo, as staff numbers have been increasing.

But it's true that the unions have excessive power, and that the HSE is over-staffed in many areas.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    have all citizens been surveyed to come to all these conclusions?

No, but they tend to vote for parties that want this to continue.

If people really wanted this to change, it would have changed already.

do people truly get the governments they vote for? are there truly alternatives in ireland other than major parties such as ff and fg?

So as you were lad.

welfare state
    noun
    a system whereby the state undertakes to protect the health and well-being of its citizens, especially those in financial or social need, by means of grants, pensions, and other benefits. The foundations for the modern welfare state in the UK were laid by the Beveridge Report of 1942; proposals such as the establishment of a National Health Service and the National Insurance Scheme were implemented by the Labour administration in 1948.

a country that has a welfare state system.

as i said, lad, we have a welfare state, it's just badly managed. lad.

Note that these are not 215,000 unique children, as many kids will be on two lists.

How many?
    In the last hour, I received this message from a friend of mine:

"In Temple Street for check up and eeg. Sitting here on my own for last hour in waiting room in state of the art neurology dept. Have seen 3 patients in total incl my child yet there are 8 admin/medical staff mainly drinking coffee and planning their Christmas party. The Neurology dept in UHG is usually packed every day. Makes you wonder....."

.....the girl on reception has greeted 4 patients, used the photocopier twice and not touched the phone since 9am. And it's soon time for coffee break!!""

Why is she sitting there on her own, where is her/his child?

She/He has seen 3 patients but she/he saw the reception greet 4?

Which is it?

as i said, lad, we have a welfare state, it's just badly managed. lad.

A true welfare state doesn't do things badly when it comes to welfare.

I don't see anything about private fee paying patients getting preferential treatment in the constitution though.

All children, irrespective of birth, gender, race or religion, are equal before the law. In all cases where the welfare of the child so requires, regard shall be had to the best interests of that child.

A true welfare state doesn't do things badly.

that old chestnut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

FG’s biggest failing in my eyes is their failing to be the ‘party for people who get up in the morning’ , theyve spent the last decade giving those on welfare more, pandering to ‘progressive’ social policy and not doing a meaningful tap for the people who actually work.

If you had have said to me a decade ago that FG would give the welfare class back their bonus and do nothing for the taxpayer id have laughed at you, sadly theyve just become labour who shale fists at unions instead of shake hands with them.

FG have proved that they are not working in the interest of those who work, its rinse and repeat left ‘light’ policies

Idbatterim wrote: »
    These rats take nearly one hundred k a year from me in taxes, through my business and personal taxes.

id say they do alright, yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

FG are left?! Pull the other one, mate. Thought you lot called them “fascists”?

Which is it?

Sure you were.

Surely a party that increases social welfare rates more than gives a tax cuts to workers is a left leaning party?
    By the way I'm not advocating tax cuts I just wish the money we generated from tax take in this country was spent wisely and efficiently.
    Which party can deliver this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you had have said to me a decade ago that FG would give the welfare class back their bonus and do nothing for the taxpayer id have laughed at you

Why? Did the FG-led coalitions of the 1980s and 1990s pursue those sorts of policies, to a greater extent than the FF-led governments they succeeded and preceded? When did FG last market itself as a fiscally conservative party?

Why? Did the FG-led coalitions of the 1980s and 1990s pursue those sorts of policies, to a greater extent than the FF-led governments they succeeded and preceded? When did FG last market itself as a fiscally conservative party?

RTE article claiming they see themselves as such.
    The Fine Gael-led administration sees itself as socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

I don't know if FG dispute this or not though. :D

there are no fiscally or socially conservative parties in Ireland. Hell, in reality there are only two parties; FG/FF and everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RTE article claiming they see themselves as such.

I don't know if FG dispute this or not though. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_Gael
    Fine Gael describes itself as a "party of the progressive centre" which it defines as acting "in a way that is right for Ireland, regardless of dogma or ideology".

Vacuous buzzwords maybe, but definitely not 'right wing' or 'conservative'

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

there are no fiscally or socially conservative parties in Ireland. Hell, in reality there are only two parties; FG/FF and everyone else.

Id even say its almost impossible to have a socially liberal party that is fiscally conservative. Almost all liveral social policies require a huge amount of government spending

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

FG’s biggest failing in my eyes is their failing to be the ‘party for people who get up in the morning’ , theyve spent the last decade giving those on welfare more, pandering to ‘progressive’ social policy and not doing a meaningful tap for the people who actually work.

If you had have said to me a decade ago that FG would give the welfare class back their bonus and do nothing for the taxpayer id have laughed at you, sadly theyve just become labour who shale fists at unions instead of shake hands with them.

FG have proved that they are not working in the interest of those who work, its rinse and repeat left ‘light’ policies

there are so many issues in this country, you wouldnt know where to start. Appalling value for money, the amount of black holes that the state itself is involved in, is jawdropping. Why was the government sending millions to the FAI a year, when delaney was siphoning off a fortune? Its obscene here from top to bottom, great country to be a journalist in, you could be busy twenty four hours a day!

take a read of the below, absolutely staggering! We are actually top of the world at something :rolleyes:

"Dublin ranked the worst city in the world to move to for housing"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/dublin-ranked-the-worst-city-in-the-world-to-move-to-for-housing-1.4102979

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So as you were lad.

Well, actually, it is exactly the sort of thing that happens in a Welfare State.

Ireland has 1.3 million people receiving a weekly social welfare payment. We have a workforce of around 2.3 million people in employment, who pay income tax to support those weekly payments.

Given the numbers in the workforce, given the numbers on social welfare, is it any surprise that in our Welfare State, there isn't enough money left over to spend on health and education?

And before the usual blah, blah, blah, it's all FG's fault, which is the party claiming credit for the increases in social welfare over the last few years? Hint: It starts with an F, but isn't FG.

Advertisement