Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

markodaly wrote: »
    Funny, but again, how?

FF will build social houses.... using what to fund it?

Taxation or borrowing. The way social housing was always paid for until the neoliberals got their claws into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

storker wrote: »
    Taxation or borrowing. The way social housing was always paid for until the neoliberals got their claws into it.

Great, at least its something tangible.

So, how much do we have to borrow, taking in mind that we are still subject to EY fiscal rules.
    If we cannot borrow it all, where do we raise the taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There has been a massive increase in the 'talking over other people' from the FG crew during interviews and debates recently. While all politicians engage in this to some level, FG have ramped it up to 11.
    I noticed it over the last few months with; Keohe, Madigan, O’Dowd, Regina D and most recently, Coveney on prime time last night.

This is an obvious tactic introduced while FG were having some pre-election media training. The idea being, when your opponent is making valid and factual points about you/your party, interrupt-talk over-disrupt etc so the points are not made satisfactorily.

It’s an old and quite disgusting tactic and I hope the interviewers, presenters and debate moderators pick up on this and shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    There has been a massive increase in the 'talking over other people' from the FG crew during interviews and debates recently. While all politicians engage in this to some level, FG have ramped it up to 11.
    I noticed it over the last few months with; Keohe, Madigan, O’Dowd, Regina D and most recently, Coveney on prime time last night.

This is an obvious tactic introduced while FG were having some pre-election media training. The idea being, when your opponent is making valid and factual points about you/your party, interrupt-talk over-disrupt etc so the points are not made satisfactorily.

It’s an old and quite disgusting tactic and I hope the interviewers, presenters and debate moderators pick up on this and shut it down.

I`ve noticed the same this past while. Josepha Madigan in particular on Sunday with Brian Dobson was like a bullhorn.

It may play well to the converted, but to me, and I suspect many others, it is just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Great, at least its something tangible.

So, how much do we have to borrow, taking in mind that we are still subject to EY fiscal rules.
    If we cannot borrow it all, where do we raise the taxes?
    You know what I think would be far more “ fair “ let those in social housing actually pay a reasonable rent and make sure they pay. That would fund a lot more housing for others that would benefit massively , like those currently in social housing. What do we get ? Workers can’t afford their own place , partially due to being taxed too much , so so much largesse can be thrown at others. For vote winning reasons. It’s a disgusting farce !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's a good scheme and benefits a lot of people.

Not the taxpayer. Not people looking for more social or affordable housing to be built

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Coveney was actually a disgrace last night...marginally outdisgraced by Miriam's inability to do her job.

I think it will be counter productive for FG if they keep it up. It does seem to be an instruction as Madigan did it repeatedly on The Week In Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is nothing new, except maybe from FG. The idea behind it is to change the narrative. Sinn Fein have been brilliant at it for years whenever difficult questions come up about their past and its living legacy. Trump and Johnson are masters of the trade as well. FG want to move the narrative from what's wrong to what's right and that will take a lot of heavy lifting.

I don't think that it will work, but it shows that they are well-prepared.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is nothing new, except maybe from FG. The idea behind it is to change the narrative. Sinn Fein have been brilliant at it for years whenever difficult questions come up about their past and its living legacy. Trump and Johnson are masters of the trade as well. FG want to move the narrative from what's wrong to what's right and that will take a lot of heavy lifting.

I don't think that it will work, but it shows that they are well-prepared.

It does seem to be a FG tactic, but imho it is one that could end up very counterproductive.
    It might appeal to the converted, but to everyone else it can easily become just annoying.

Political interviews should never be about allowing one party`s narrative to be bull horned over everyone else`s.

Interviewers, on RTE especially, need to see it for what it is and put a stop to it regardless of who is attempting it.
    At present they are looking like kindergarten teachers who are letting the shrill child in the class outshout everyone else.

A criticism of Coveney's very noticeable tactic turns into a stick to beat SF with.
    We can see early on how this campaign is going to go. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

charlie14 wrote: »
    It does seem to be a FG tactic, but imho it is one that could end up very counterproductive.
    It might appeal to the converted, but to everyone else it can easily become just annoying.

Political interviews should never be about allowing one party`s narrative to be bull horned over everyone else`s.

Interviewers, on RTE especially, need to see it for what it is and put a stop to it regardless of who is attempting it.
    At present they are looking like kindergarten teachers who are letting the shrill child in the class outshout everyone else.

It's a FG tactic so far in this election, but it is nothing new. Howlin tried it with Pat Kenny this morning, but didn't get very far against an experienced interviewer, who just brought it gently back on topic.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's a FG tactic so far in this election, but it is nothing new. Howlin tried it with Pat Kenny this morning, but didn't get very far against an experienced interviewer, who just brought it gently back on topic.

If it is kept up then gently should not be a consideration.

If you come into an interview and attempt to out shout everyone in the room then the interviewer should take strips of you leaving the listeners in no doubt as to the reason why.

Do that once and it`s a tactic that will die fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A criticism of Coveney's very noticeable tactic turns into a stick to beat SF with.
    We can see early on how this campaign is going to go. :)

It’s usually the SF lads brandishing the sticks to beat someone with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Coveney was actually a disgrace last night...marginally outdisgraced by Miriam's inability to do her job.

I think it will be counter productive for FG if they keep it up. It does seem to be an instruction as Madigan did it repeatedly on The Week In Politics.

I couldn't believe the performance of Coveney last night, it was shocking. I thought he was suppose to be the best FG have last night was a car crash. The worst was when he was nit picking over the age of the homeless woman that was found wandering around O'Connell street a few nights ago after being discharged from hospital. He wasn't concerned that someone could be discharged from hospital to wander the streets no matter the age but he was more concerned over whether she was 61 or 81. Shocking stuff.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I couldn't believe the performance of Coveney last night, it was shocking. I thought he was suppose to be the best FG have last night was a car crash. The worst was when he was nit picking over the age of the homeless woman that was found wandering around O'Connell street a few nights ago after being discharged from hospital. He wasn't concerned that someone could be discharged from hospital to wander the streets no matter the age but he was more concerned over whether she was 61 or 81. Shocking stuff.

I agree, there was an obscenity to that particular part. It mattered not what her age was.

The injuring of a homeless man in his tent yesterday is a perfect metaphor in a way. What they are doing is attempting to obscure the truth any which way they can. Keep it out of sight in the hope it goes away.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    He is an asset to FF - he has a first class brain. He was right to move into one of the parties. You cannot influence policy from the ditch - or at least, you can't influence it to the same degree.

MM needs to give him a very senior position. He worked at McKinsey, and if given the autonomy and resources, could do very well.

I can understand why he left for Fianna fail but I just can't vote FF. Plus by moving from SDP he lost a lot of credibility. Would have been better to move from independent to FF. It was a sign of poor judgement to join the SDP but he should have stuck it out once he joined

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I can understand why he left for Fianna fail but I just can't vote FF. Plus by moving from SDP he lost a lot of credibility. Would have been better to move from independent to FF. It was a sign of poor judgement to join the SDP but he should have stuck it out once he joined

You talking about Donnelly down in Wicklow? Sure he wanted to join FG but they already had two sitting TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

How about instead of constantly bashing FG and resorting to self righteous anger the naysayers actually offer us what they see as viable alternatives?

The reality is the likes of the problems with our health service and the housing crisis were there long before FG came to power and anyone who things that by voting in a whole new government these issues will disappear overnight is seriously fooling themselves.

Just like they fooled themselves into believing Peter Casey is some kind messiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bobtheman wrote: »
    It was a sign of poor judgement to join the SDP but he should have stuck it out once he joined

Always found that an odd move for a technocratic type of guy. Kind of diluted their leftist profile as well...

You talking about Donnelly down in Wicklow? Sure he wanted to join FG but they already had two sitting TDs.

Donnelly seems to be doing a tour of all political persuasions. Independent - Social Democrat - Fianna Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The reality is the likes of the problems with our health service and the housing crisis were there long before FG came to power and anyone who things that by voting in a whole new government these issues will disappear overnight is seriously fooling themselves.
    Is that FG's defence of its record on housing and health? " It was like that when we got here".
    I would like to think a new government would actually tackle these two issues instead of sitting back and watch them get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Is that FG's defence of its record on housing and health? " It was like that when we got here".
    I would like to think a new government would actually tackle these two issues instead of sitting back and watch them get worse.

What evidence have you got that they are simply sitting there and watching?

I saw the interview and all he did was stand up for himself. Seeing as it was a 5 v 1 fight, being attacked from all sides, he was right to defend himself.

Last time out Enda and Co. were much too meek. This time out it appears FG are going to fight fire with fire and call out others, like SF on their bull$hit, like Coveney did last night when SF was telling lies on national TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

He was simply parroting Leo who pretty much said exactly the same thing on radio 1 on Sunday.

He wasn't concerned that someone could be discharged from hospital to wander the streets no matter the age but he was more concerned over whether she was 61 or 81. Shocking stuff.

Maybe because this didn't happen. Fake News Alert!!

Lookup the actual up to date version of this 'story'. He was right to correct it as what was peddled was lies.

I saw the interview and all he did was stand up for himself. Seeing as it was a 5 v 1 fight, being attacked from all sides, he was right to defend himself.

Last time out Enda and Co. were much too meek. This time out it appears FG are going to fight fire with fire and call out others, like SF on their bull$hit, like Coveney did last night when SF was telling lies on national TV.

He's fully entitled to answer his critics. But manners would be nice. It just comes across as more arrogance if FG are reading this.

He's fully entitled to answer his critics. But manners would be nice. It just comes across as more arrogance if FG are reading this.

Well to you, of course, it will come across like that, but you are never doing to vote for them anyway.

What some people want is for a FG TD to be heckled pillar to post without saying a word in reply.

Maybe because this didn't happen. Fake News Alert!!

Lookup the actual up to date version of this 'story'. He was right to correct it as what was peddled was lies.

Apparently the age disparity makes this worthy of the 'Trumpism, fake news.

https://www.thejournal.ie/81-year-old-dublin-homeless-4961643-Jan2020/

• Advertisement

Apparently the age disparity makes this worthy of the 'Trumpism, fake news.

https://www.thejournal.ie/81-year-old-dublin-homeless-4961643-Jan2020/

The way its been portrayed that she was discharged from the hospital to be thrown out on the streets is also Fake News.
    You know this as well, but continue with lies.

Tell me, does it feel good to lie about things?

Advertisement