Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FG have made cynicism and arrogance the norm. This chap would have been a national scandal several years ago, likely Varadkar won't even acknowledge it, forget Murphy.
    Likely the talk will be, 'why was he there?, brought it on himself'.

Leo got the 'he had refused accommodation' line into his reaction. As if that somehow excused what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Leo got the 'he had refused accommodation' line into his reaction. As if that somehow excused what happened.

Nasty individual. Everything is diversion and blame the victim. Complete waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Floppybits wrote: »
    Regina said no one reads the Manifestos.
    Probably true but they do notice the overall slogan and the "promises". "A lot done. More to do." is the best one in recent times.

Nasty individual. Everything is diversion and blame the victim. Complete waster.

Diversion and disruption seems to be how they are gonna roll until Feb 8th. Is anybody good enough to make them pay is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »
    Probably true but they do notice the overall slogan and the "promises". "A lot done. More to do." is the best one in recent times.

I would say ' keep the recovery going' was prehaps the most ill advised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

is_that_so wrote: »

I could see FG giving some thought to a slogan of " More to do".

Less so with "A lot done" I`m afraid.

FG's slogans should be: "It's worse elsewhere" and "You've only yourself to blame".

FG's slogans should be: "It's worse elsewhere" and "You've only yourself to blame".

'Arise And Follow Charlie'?

Nah...maybe not. :)

I would say ' keep the recovery going' was perhaps the most ill advised.

That and the contract with the people nonsense! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

The outrage at the incident wasn't because someone used a machine to move a tent without checking inside, and seriously injuring a person. It was because it was another tragedy to a person sleeping on the streets. Absolutely someone should have checked inside first, do you expect the Taoiseach to say that in his statement?

Given that the person had been offerred accomadation, and was known to and regularly assisted by homeless services, what change in government policy would get this person off the streets?

• Advertisement

Hmm. Not sure about this FG slogan if true.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/01/14/a-future-to-look-forward-to/

tobsey wrote: »
    The outrage at the incident wasn't because someone used a machine to move a tent without checking inside, and seriously injuring a person. It was because it was another tragedy to a person sleeping on the streets. Absolutely someone should have checked inside first, do you expect the Taoiseach to say that in his statement?

Given that the person had been offerred accomadation, and was known to and regularly assisted by homeless services, what change in government policy would get this person off the streets?

I expect him to do f*** all. Keep on as is. I'm not blaming him specifically on this, but he is responsible for the social climate we have were a man is almost killed in a rush to beautify a stretch by a canal and people come out with guff like..
    Given that the person had been offerred accomadation

Like it somehow means it didn't really happen.

Change? Some sincerity and decency. The go to is always to place blame on the victim.
    Speak about the man. Say you'll ensure checks are made. Say you'll contact DCC over it. Some f***ing humanity, less arse covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

markodaly wrote: »
    Great, at least its something tangible.

So, how much do we have to borrow, taking in mind that we are still subject to EY fiscal rules.
    If we cannot borrow it all, where do we raise the taxes?

Not my job - that's for the geniuses in the Department of Finance to figure out. But it was done that way before - it can be done that way again.

I see Varadkar rightly called out for being too eager to cover his arse regards the injured homeless man.
    It's really a prime example of his tenure.
    Asked at his campaign launch about the incident, Leo Varadkar said he was "very concerned" and that the Government would be doing everything it could to ensure the man was accommodated.

He then went on to say that the Lord Mayor of Dublin, who he said is "politically responsible for the city council", should make a statement on the topic.

He could have stopped at the standard 'ah Jay's, that's terrible' but he cant help himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You mean a DCC employee injured a man. Yes, obviously Leo's fault.

storker wrote: »
    Not my job - that's for the geniuses in the Department of Finance to figure out. But it was done that way before - it can be done that way again.

When?
    Before we were in the EU and before we need to have every build up to A2 BER standards?

Its a fallacy to think that becasue we built 2 up 2 down social houses in the 30s that we can just do that again, when legally we cannot. Newer solutions need to be thought up, not some Trumpian idea of 'sure it was great back in the day'

tobsey wrote: »

Rob this person of their free will and lock them up for 're-habilitation', Clockwork Orange style.

On a serious note, if a person is offered but refuses accomidation, what does one propose? You either let them go or lock them up.

You mean a DCC employee injured a man. Yes, obviously Leo's fault.

He immediately demanded a (surprise surprise) mayor form a rival party account for it.
    It isn't the first time Leo has shown his 'priorities' in tragic situations.

It's all mounting up for the image obsessed Taoiseach.

He immediately demanded a (surprise surprise) mayor form a rival party account for it.

You mean the mayor of DCC who injured the man?
    Yes, shock horror. :rolleyes:

You mean the mayor of DCC who injured the man?
    Yes, shock horror. :rolleyes:

You gonna keep the shoehorn for the whole campaign mark? Seems you are off to an energetic start trying to put words in people's posts that aren't there.

• Advertisement

Not at all, but one would think that DCC and the mayor of DCC should be somewhat culpabale in this regards, no?
    Or is it ALL leo's fault?

Not at all, but one would think that DCC and the mayor of DCC should be somewhat culpabale in this regards, no?
    Or is it ALL leo's fault?

No mark, he isn't. It was I hope an awful accident. And it shouldn't have been used in an attempt to score political points which is what Leo is being (fairly IMO, having heard the interview) accused of.

No mark, he isn't. It was I hope an awful accident. And it shouldn't have been used in an attempt to score political points which is what Leo is being (fairly IMO, having heard the interview) accused of.

Yes, an accident. So why was Leo quizzed about it from would be journalists fishing for a story, getting ready for the blame game?

Yes, an accident. So why was Leo quizzed about it from would be journalists fishing for a story, getting ready for the blame game?

He was asked to comment on it. It was the main news story of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ITs so pathetic. Could you imagine trump or Johnson , Markel being quizzed on it. I partially blame varadkar for every major sham here infrastructure, housing , health , justice. But there is a level , where I expect people to do their jobs! Where they have responsibilitity and it’s not all “ someone else’s fault “

Just turned on the Tonight show on Virgin. Alison O'Connor having a go at Leo's lack of emotional intelligence regarding the incident on the canal. Even Regina Doherty was stunned by Leo's response. Not a great way to kick off an election. Instead of offering concern and leaving it at that why feel the need to try and score points. Time and place for everything, Leo needs to cop on.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Not the taxpayer. Not people looking for more social or affordable housing to be built

How do you reckon that? :confused:

There are many more upsides to the council selling off old stock than there are downsides.

We'll assume I live in a council house, have been for 10 years, and im faced with the option to buy.

Let's say I don't buy: I remain here, paying a trivial amount of rent to the local council, i get all my maintenance and servicing via the council (ie; taxpayer). I hand the house down to my son, and he lives in it, rinse, repeat. The house ages more, and the council fix it more. New regulations are brought in and the council have to retrofit these things.

Myself and my kids are less likely to go and an honest day's work because our rent is directly tied to our income. The more you earn, the more you pay.

Let's say I do buy: I am now giving the council a percentage of the market rate of the house. They wash their hands of it, and instead of paying out to cover my maintenance, they are actually receiving money from me instead, in the form of LPT. You can only buy a house if you are working, so if i want the discounted house, it encourages me into the workforce where I pay more tax. I can't buy the house if i have a history of anti-social behaviour, so if i want the house i can't act the bollocks.

The bank make a few euro in the form of interest on the loan i got to buy, and private self employed tradesmen get more work on as I'm now shopping around to get the boiler serviced.

More importantly, i have now invested heavily in buying my house, so im not going to risk damaging or ruining it - meaning estates that are rough around the edges will slowly gentrify and calm. I can sell the house in future if needs be and it can be bought/sold on the private market, instead of being earmarked for Margaret Cash, leaving more options for the people looking to buy houses and adding to the property market.

(I appreciate you could argue Council housing shouldn't stay in families for generations, rent should be higher, etc. but that's not the case in real-life).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I see that a lot of the regulars here that were first of the mark in scoring political points yesterday afternoon on that accident woke up this morning outraged at the idea that Varadkar would attempt to do the same.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I see that a lot of the regulars here that were first of the mark in scoring political points yesterday afternoon on that accident woke up this morning outraged at the idea that Varadkar would attempt to do the same.

I think you'll find Leo tried first. Everyone else was re
    acting to Leo. First gaff of the election.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/varadkar-accused-of-pathetically-politicising-life-changing-injuries-sustained-by-homeless-man-30s-during-clean-up-38866633.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Although there is a serious scandal here that needs to be addressed.
    Not that the council failed to check that a man was in there - I'm assuming that that was a bit of negligence rather than anything malign, but that DCC were removing the tents in the first place.

And not removing them to safe storage. Did they give any thought to the homeless people who would arrive back later in the evening to find what little they owned gone and destroyed.

Advertisement