Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a list of FG poor performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Therein lies what could be viewed as the reason why they haven't merged. Control of government and opposition. A pretence to opposing one another. The last four years has lifted the veil on the pretence.

Not so much now as SF have fallen away a bit. But they certainly did draw up the bridge a few years back. And the pretence seems to be something they have gotten comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Therein lies what could be viewed as the reason why they haven't merged. Control of government and opposition. A pretence to opposing one another. The last four years has lifted the veil on the pretence.

But we had a couple of years of ad hoc 'confidence and supply', then known as the Tallaght Strategy, in the late 1980s, and that didn't seem to lift the veil. Or maybe it did, and the majority of voters decided they were happy enough with what was behind the veil...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fine Gael. I never thought I'd see myself rooting for Fianna Fail, but hey Varadkar actually achieved something while in office.
    The see saw continues as designed. The public go back and fourth. Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Is it wrong to be delighted that FF are ahead?Eventhough I know FF are also a bunch of self serving pr*cks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is it wrong to be delighted that FF are ahead?Eventhough I know FF are also a bunch of self serving pr*cks.

It really is sad when FG make FF look respectable and electable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is it wrong to be delighted that FF are ahead? Even though I know FF are also a bunch of self serving pr*cks.

No, its the Irish way. We are very emotional when it comes to general elections imo.

FF are ahead, even though they have released zero policies on anything yet. So we are going to vote in a party into power and have no clue what their policies are. Great! (and were we surprised the last crash happened?)

I mentioned this already, but elections in Ireland are like therapy. We don't really discuss the policies on offer but will rant and rave against 'da government' because it makes us feel better to give them a kick. The government is a like a cat we like to kick every few years.
    Then we are surprised years down the track not much has changed or reformed.
    Rinse - repeat...

There are about half a dozen threads on boards about the election, and not one of them has any real discussion on policy. It's all about name-calling.

So yes, I am not surprised at all. People have very short memories. We are going to put people back into the cabinet who destroyed the country economically, yet will cry about it when/if it all goes to $hit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

markodaly wrote: »
    No, its the Irish way. We are very emotional when it comes to general elections imo.

FF are ahead, even though they have released zero policies on anything yet. So we are going to vote in a party into power and have no clue what their policies are. Great! (and were we surprised the last crash happened?)

I mentioned this already, but elections in Ireland are like therapy. We don't really discuss the policies on offer but will rant and rave against 'da government' because it makes us feel better to give them a kick. The government is a like a cat we like to kick every few years.
    Then we are surprised years down the track not much has changed or reformed.
    Rinse - repeat...

There are about half a dozen threads on boards about the election, and not one of them has any real discussion on policy. It's all about name-calling.

So yes, I am not surprised at all. People have very short memories. We are going to put people back into the cabinet who destroyed the country economically, yet will cry about it when/if it all goes to $hit again.

But can ye really believe anyone of the policies from any of the parties.
    I remember being offered the model of the Dutch healthcare system in the past. Or the scrapping of USC.
    And then I remember Pat Rabbitte saying, ' it's the sort of things ye say prior to an election'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Genuine question but what separates the two largest parties?

Not even as much as a cigarette paper. It's all the same FFG party, just divided into the gombeen wing and the sleeveen wing. Why anybody is harping on about undeclared FF policies is beyond me; the faces change but the policies stay the same. FF got kicked out and FG got voted in on the basis of how FG would do things differently and then continued with FFs policies. I don't expect this election to be any different. The respective election manifestos might as well be written by J. R. R. Tolkien for all the relevance they'll have to what really happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sunday Times reporting today that FG are down to 20% in the polls and FF up to 32%.

Thats where the poorest front bench and Taoiseach in the history of the state (apart from BC maybe) has landed them at going into an election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ChikiChiki wrote:
    Sunday Times reporting today that FG are down to 20% in the polls and FF up to 32%.

Ah both fg and ff will be grand when it comes to it, particularly ff, they ll still pull most of the votes between them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Thats where the poorest front bench and Taoiseach in the history of the state (apart from BC maybe) has landed them at going into an election.
    A winter's supply of road salt needed with that poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Augme

ChikiChiki wrote: »

I assume BC means Bertie Ahern. As for the maybe part, gotta be kidding? Leo is a saint compared to Bertie. Charlie haughey was also much worse than him. People really do have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Augme wrote: »
    I assume BC means Bertie Ahern. As for the maybe part, gotta be kidding? Leo is a saint compared to Bertie. Charlie haughey was also much worse than him. People really do have short memories.

BC = Brian Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Leo is probably the worst bar BC - I agree - both of whom were not elected Taoiseach if I am not mistaken

Both were selected by their party after BA and EK had won elections

This is Leo's first time running for Taoiseach and the people can decide. I suspect they will decide he did a poor job and not elect him again.

Michael Martin appears like a decent fellow and not the worst minister for health we have had

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

McMurphy wrote: »

Not a great believer in opinion polls at the best of times and always take them with a large pinch of salt.
    The only thing I feel to take from this one to give it any credence is that the black and tan controversy did FG a lot of damage.

This poll was taken before the GE campaign started and shows a 7% drop from the previous poll and during that period the big controversy was the black and tan commemoration.

Whether that will still be an influence of that level on polling day is debatable, but if FG are going for a nasty attack dog campaign, I have a feeling they had better reel it in a lot because after the commemoration fiasco (and especially the deferred rather than cancel) the public are not going to buy it.

Kate O'Connell is after taking some roasting on twitter yesterday and this morning after she tweeted that she was being aided in canvassing by an 88 year old who has been canvassing on behalf of the party since 1948 along side Oliver Flanagan etc.

It definitely didn't go down how Kate most likely thought it would go down with the Twitter crowd.

See the thread here.

https://twitter.com/campaignforkate/status/1218495456386392064?s=19

This reply was gold.

https://twitter.com/naylor1971/status/1218637882426040326?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Kate O'Connell is after taking some roasting on twitter yesterday and this morning after she tweeted that she was being aided in canvassing by an 88 year old who has been canvassing on behalf of the party since 1948 along side Oliver Flanagan etc.

It definitely didn't go down how Kate most likely thought it would go down with the Twitter crowd.

See the thread here.

This reply was gold.

That is something I have noticed from FG over the years.

This pointing back to their political roots.
    The colour blue seems to become more prominent when election time comes around as well.
    While this may appeal to their older vote base, I have often wondered that others who look back to their roots might be less enamoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Shows how tribal loyalty overrides any mere ideological considerations in Ireland when a guy who canvassed for Oliver J has no difficulty helping out uber-feminist Kate...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

See the thread here.

This reply was gold.

Great stuff. Attacking an 88 year old man who was helping a young candidate.

Classy as usual.

• Advertisement

Classy as usual.

What's wrong with pointing out that he canvassed for an anti Semite?
    Although I fail to see how you arrived at attack. I think the pension reference was very funny and is going to become an issue for who ever forms the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

What's wrong with pointing out that he canvassed for an anti Semite?
    Although I fail to see how you arrived at attack. I think the pension reference was very funny and is going to become an issue for who ever forms the next government.

He's an old man and doesn't deserve to be harassed on social media. How would you like if that was grandfather?

He's an old man and doesn't deserve to be harassed on social media. How would you like if that was grandfather?

What harassment? Stop making up stuff. My grandfather wouldn't have canvassed for an anti Semite.

Classy as usual.

The 88yr old is not open for criticism because of his age? Thats not very nice.
    A valid point about tribalism.

Mine wasn't a supporter of antisemitism unlike Oliver J..
    What about the elderly Nazis they had on trial? 'Ah leave it out he's old'?
    Old people are as valid as the young. Their opinions still count and their actions are their own.

Classy as usual.

You have a gross misunderstanding of the word "attacking" paddy, but make sure and let the twitter police know your displeased about it.

Ireland has fifth largest number of billionaires per capita - Oxfam

It says this inequality is now out of control, with 2,153 billionaires around the world now owning more wealth than 4.6 billion people who make up 60% of the Earth's population.

Only Hong Kong, Cyprus, Switzerland and Singapore have more billionaires per capita than Ireland does.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0120/1108528-oxfam-wealth-study/

This is Fine Gael's legacy. Record breaking numbers of children homeless, fifth most number of billionaires per capita.
    I wonder when we'll see the trickle down?
    When we've national crises breaking records year on year and this amount of billionaires, while we are told the economy is doing great and employment high, but we've no money for social projects, something isn't working right.
    Blast those PBP and their sort! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

This is Fine Gael's legacy. Record breaking numbers of children homeless, fifth most number of billionaires per capita.
    I wonder when we'll see the trickle down?
    When we've national crises breaking records year on year and this amount of billionaires, while we are told the economy is doing great and employment high, but we've no money for social projects, something isn't working right.
    Blast those PBP and their sort! :rolleyes:

If that's what they're like during a boom imagine their performance if things take a turn for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Leo doing quite badly on the radio against Matt Cooper at the moment.

Just to really put the spin on your heads lads, Una Mullally is bashing them in the Times today.

I see they might get into a spot of bother over comments Leo made today at an event with Tim Cook (Apple)

They're being reported to the ethics committee anyway over it.
    Mr Cowen said the Taoiseach used the event, which was organised by Irish Development Authority (IDA), to directly attack Fianna Fáil and his other political opponents.

“Today we have seen Fine Gael abuse the separation between State and political party activities, Mr Cowen said.

“The Taoiseach used his appearance at an IDA event this morning to make party-political comments in a highly inappropriate attempt to score points for his party,” he added

source

• Advertisement

I see Mr. Cook was telling people, Varadkar among the number, that we need overhaul the global tax system when it comes to multinationals. How about telling Varadkar to take the 13bn? These people pontificate and vying for an intership post election Varadkar gives the man an award today too.

10921680.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

Advertisement