Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Figuring out Home Alarm wiring

• 05-12-2019 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi. I've never really seen Home Alarms so available before coming to Ireland. So it is new for me. And I have no idea how it works.
    What I understand that you can choose some provider and they will install the system and monitor it. I see some wires everywhere in my house (near window, corridor, ceiling)
    Assuming I don't want Home Alarm who can help me to figure out wiring: electrician? Is there any guides specific to Ireland available online to figure out myself?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Tracing out wiring can be a challenge. What I've done in the past is to go the the ends of each cable and strip back the insulation of all the individual wires to expose the copper strand. Make sure no wires are touching each other. Now go to the end of one wire and pick a pair to twist together, say yellow and red. With a multi-meter (or bulb + battery :)) go to the end of each other cable and check for a short between yellow and red, when found you have traced the other end of that cable. Rinse and repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pigletpetr

I wanted not only to know which wire comes where but how it is supposed to be wired if Home Alarm was in place. For example one wire is powering motherboard, some sending signal etc. I tried to Google but it looks this information is country specific. Also it looks like current wires are not even connected to the main box. It is also a question if I need a new fuse in my box or I can reuse one of the existing. I was thinking about reusing wires for some other things (wifi, sensor etc.) or using Konnected or something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

See the sticky for installers. Might be best to get the 'pros' in.

Advertisement