Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True Gigabit Powerline adapters - do they exist?

• 05-12-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I bought a set of TP-Link TL-PA7010P powerline adaptors (labelled as "up to" 1000 Mbps) on Amazon recently as my wifi has been a bit flaky, I'm on a 250 Mbps Virgin connection, can get that speed on 5GHz wifi (up through a ceiling/floor) no problem, yet these powerline adaptors seem to cap out at about 120mbps (using cat6). On TP-Link's PLC software it shows there is a "strong" ~450 Mbps connection between them, yet the adaptors are labelled as "AV 200 Mbps" right on their icons.

It's not that big of an issue, but it is a slight inconvenience having to disconnect from ethernet to double the speed of downloading a 50GB game, would spend the few bob extra to get faster ones if they exist, I'm just assuming their "2000 Mbps" ones with two ethernet ports are just the same sh*te but they double the advertised speed due to having two gigabit ports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I expect that any tests they do are in laboratory conditions ..... and for sure the wiring in your house is not similar to the test setup.
    They will not even work at all in some houses due to wiring.

Find a means of running ethernet cable if you need high reliable speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Also the rating is half duplex, the companies who design and sell these adaptors went all out on misleading people about speed.
    120Mps is better than average from my experience in a number of different houses.

Powerline adaptor were excellent for the kind of speed that was more common years ago but they have not kept pace with newer WIFI mesh technology. Not surprising as electrical wire was never designed for data and I'm sure much of the signal is lost due to not have the right kind of insulation.
    WIFI mesh is the way to go, unfortunately it is expensive at around €100 per node.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Furasta

Just save yourself the hassle and buy a flat cat 6 cable from amazon for like 20€ that will run right under doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AV200s are old hat now.

In many houses 150Mb is good. With newer gens you might get 500Mb half duplex.

ED E wrote: »
    AV200s are old hat now.

In many houses 150Mb is good. With newer gens you might get 500Mb half duplex.

The op has AV1000 though. I have AV1300 and I get 120Mbps real speed after testing many combinations of sockets to connect my router to a WIFI access point on the other side of the house. I'm actually happy with that speed but I feel like I got lucky, many socket combinations were much lower, about 40Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

tuxy wrote: »
    The op has AV1000 though. I have AV1300 and I get 120Mbps real speed after testing many combinations of sockets to connect my router to a WIFI access point on the other side of the house. I'm actually happy with that speed but I feel like I got lucky, many socket combinations were much lower, about 40Mbps.

I used to use av 600's and when things were perfect I got about 10Mbps :)

limnam wrote: »
    I used to use av 600's and when things were perfect I got about 10Mbps :)

There was a house I tried mine in for a friends, just couldn't get them working.
    There is no specification for electrical cable in homes to carry data so even your 10Mbps could be considered a success.
    Also in my house going from av500 to av1300 some socket combinations improved in speed but most were exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

I bought a set of TP-Link TL-PA7010P powerline adaptors (labelled as "up to" 1000 Mbps) on Amazon recently as my wifi has been a bit flaky, I'm on a 250 Mbps Virgin connection, can get that speed on 5GHz wifi (up through a ceiling/floor) no problem, yet these powerline adaptors seem to cap out at about 120mbps (using cat6). On TP-Link's PLC software it shows there is a "strong" ~450 Mbps connection between them, yet the adaptors are labelled as "AV 200 Mbps" right on their icons.

It's not that big of an issue, but it is a slight inconvenience having to disconnect from ethernet to double the speed of downloading a 50GB game, would spend the few bob extra to get faster ones if they exist, I'm just assuming their "2000 Mbps" ones with two ethernet ports are just the same sh*te but they double the advertised speed due to having two gigabit ports.

I have the same adapters in what is a fairly new build house. I got them to connect my Sky Q mini boxes more reliably than WiFi but they never really did the job and I ended up running an Ethernet cable. I have 4 in all connecting my PC, Laptop and NAS to the router but I've phased them out for cabling as they never really functioned as well as advertised. I think the speeds quoted are for an ideal situation that doesn't exist in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 redbull1985

considering the :
    TP-Link AV2000 TL-WPA9610 KIT 2000Mbps Gigabit Powerline AC Wi-Fi Kit

According to LinusTips guy, things like gang way adapters can stop Powerline adapters from working altogether . Also certain wall outlet combinations might work better than others and old cabling in houses might affect it. microwaves also.
    seems a nightmare.
    Running long Ethernet cables might be the best bet as suggested.

Yes gang way adaptors will have a negative impact, all info I've give has assumed people are not making that mistake.
    Of course ethernet cable is the way to go for best connect, next is a mesh WIFI network.
    Only use the powerline adaptors if it's impossible to run cable, if you have a slow internet connection so it doesn't really matter or if you can't afford WIFI mesh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement