Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things related to ... trombophilia

• 06-12-2019 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

So ... this last year have had quite a health "adventure" - navigating between public, private hospitals with no timely results did leave a bitter taste.
    Eventually I got trombophilia diagnosed in my home country while on a family trip: needed more extensive blood test including trombophilia profiles that took few days to get results from (at a cost of approx 250 EUR + consultant/hematology fee of 50 EUR). I was told that while 40% of the population may have it, investigations are mostly triggered when ischemic events such as stroke, VTE or recurrent pregnancy losses occur, or when there are close relatives who also have it:confused:.
    Looking around, think in Ireland the attitude may be similar, as I found this page on trombophilia screening - https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/acutehospitals/hospitals/waterford/laboratoryservices/thrombophilia-screening.html

- For me now, I have a plan to keep it under control, with long term medication (as prescribed by the offshore consultants I've seen); long haul flights need special handling - if not avoid :(

But one reason I wanted to bring this here is the link between inherited trombophilia and pregnancy loss ... My advice is when ppl hear about a friend of theirs with recurrent miscarriages, maybe try to find out if any trombophilia investigations were done - if not, suggest to them to talk to their GP about eliminating trombophilia as cause, by running those specialized tests ...
    More information on this publication (quote with examples of trombophilias: "deficiencies of antithrombin III, protein C and protein S, Factor V Leiden mutation, methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) and prothrombin gene mutation (G20210A))

Advertisement