Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window

• 06-12-2019 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Big news is that Chelsea are free to spend in the winter window, whether they will or should is another matter. Lots of Sancho chatter right now.

Elsewhere Pep Guardiola has suggested he will not go to the market. Liverpool's position seems to be the usual - ie they will if they feel the need, spot an opportunity etc (read as no) Man Utd will surely be writing a cheque or two if they can lure someone like Haaland maybe Eriksen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bale to Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1202571858882772992

He was being linked with Celtic. Seems to be highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why would Chelsea need Sancho to just come in and compete with Hudson Odoi who is more than capable you'd think in that position.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why would Chelsea need Sancho to just come in and compete with Hudson Odoi who is more than capable you'd think in that position.

Sancho is a right winger Odoi plays on the left wing prominently if he was coming in it would be to compete with Pulisic.

Lampard may want to go with a three that can rotate across the line behind Abraham and that would be a pretty impress 3/4 attacking line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What's the price for Sancho? £90-£100m?
    If you get a top quality player for a decade+, it's well worth it.
    But you'd want to be sure, otherwise you might have a Dembele/Coutinho situation.

• Advertisement

English clubs are going to have to pay the English tax on a an English anyway and now a Brexit tax on English players as well as who knows if foreign players will even get visas.

Sancho will cost an English a hell of a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I say a PL club could look at getting Jessie Marsh at the end of the season too.

certaintly knows how to set up his team to attack

Red Bull need to buy a Championship club so they can manage these thing better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Red Bull need to buy a Championship club so they can manage these thing better!

Didn't they try to buy Leeds at one stage? Or maybe it was just paper talk. I remember something about Football League rules preventing it!

I didn't expect much activity in the January window but if Minamino gives an extra option up front and it allows Brewster to be loaned out, then I'm happy enough.

I still think an extra, versatile defender is needed - I nearly faint every time Lovren goes down clutching his shin as we've no cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Anabelle Attractive Yard

Didn't they try to buy Leeds at one stage? Or maybe it was just paper talk. I remember something about Football League rules preventing it!

I didn't expect much activity in the January window but if Minamino gives an extra option up front and it allows Brewster to be loaned out, then I'm happy enough.

I still think an extra, versatile defender is needed - I nearly faint every time Lovren goes down clutching his shin as we've no cover.

FA wont allow them to change the name after the Hull Tiger's fiasco and probably the Wimbledon/Mk Dons.....I can guess Red Bull wanted to change them to RB Leeds or Leeds Red Bulls or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Blimey three forwards could be gone halfway through the season, still would have Daka though.

Raiola as his agent is a good reason not to sign him.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There was talk of it and the Leeds fans were not at all happy about the prospect of Red Bull owning the club. Typically they rename the stadium of any club they buy Red Bull Arena or something similar. But even worse for Leeds fans was the suggestion that the kit would contain red. One recent sponsor had to change the colour of their logo from red to blue for their second season due to the negative reaction they got over it. Look, nobody said we're a rational lot. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It probably helps Salzburg build as a club overall, selling these players to top clubs. Young players with potential will know that Salzburg will allow them to move onto the top teams after a couple of years and won't block them. Develop young players and sell for profit. Think back and the likes of Odengaard and similar would have loved that instead of going straight to Real Madrid. It's helping Halaand for one right now.

In a way, similar to what Celtic operated on a few years ago and which allowed them to be relativity successful - come here and play for us, improve yourself as a player, win a league, play European football and we won't stand in your way when the big teams in England (and now in Salzburg's case, Europe) come calling.

Salzburg have been doing it for a while but not have not really sold players to high level clubs before, instead selling to a lower tier first before the player went to the higher tier. Clubs like Southampton, RB Leipzig, Marseille, Sevilla bought players previously but now clubs like Liverpool, Dortmund are cutting out the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Apparently there's a deal done between Barcelona and Betis for Aleña to go on loan to los verdiblancos. Also we are after Marcus Llorente and Palhinha to cover the defensive midfielder gap. The former would be a great signing.

Lots of rumours that Juventus centre-back Merih Demirel is on the wishlist of Arsenal, Leicester and Man United.

€30 million reported fee - I know he's highly rated but I can't say I know a thing about him!

Might be a few bargains to be swiped from Juventus, though. Like the sale of Kean, they need to get rid of a few more to trim down the squad and the wage bill and to be able to fit people in to the Champions League squad.

They'll surely be trying to dump Khedira, Matuidi and Mandzukic based on age and wages, but it might be tough to turn down bids for, say, Rodrigo Bentancur or Emre Can as the month goes on if there's no movement on some of the other big earners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Raiola as his agent is a good reason not to sign him.

Pretty much and it tells alot about the character and motivations of a player getting into bed with him.

Surely United need some one more experienced? Their attacking options is mostly kids as is.

L

Might be a few bargains to be swiped from Juventus, though. Like the sale of Kean,.

I doubt Everton regard him as much of the bargain :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rob316 wrote: »
    Pretty much and it tells alot about the character and motivations of a player getting into bed with him.

Surely United need some one more experienced? Their attacking options is mostly kids as is.

Not really. They just need good players committed to the cause. If Haaland can be gotten for the 20-30m touted in some places then it's a no brained. If he goes to Dortmund then you know exactly what is up and in 2 years he'll be angling for a move.

Haaland will go to Leipzig and Werner will be off to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I like Werner but who would he start ahead of? Liverpool's front 3 thankfully don't get injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liam O wrote: »
    Not really. They just need good players committed to the cause. If Haaland can be gotten for the 20-30m touted in some places then it's a no brained. If he goes to Dortmund then you know exactly what is up and in 2 years he'll be angling for a move.

Probably 30m transfer fee and another 20m for Riaola. Then Haaland moves in three years for 60m and Riaola gets another 20m.

Lots of rumours that Juventus centre-back Merih Demirel is on the wishlist of Arsenal, Leicester and Man United.

€30 million reported fee - I know he's highly rated but I can't say I know a thing about him!

That fee is a ridiculous bargain if true. Big fan of him and he reminds me a lot of Vidic, who he has said he idolised growing up. Soyuncu is his international teammate and if he went to Leicester they'd be well set defensively for years to come. When I've watched Turkey he's stood out more than Soyuncu and I reckon Juve will be making a big mistake if they sell him. He's started a few games recently so I was assuming based on that he was staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rob316 wrote: »
    I like Werner but who would he start ahead of? Liverpool's front 3 thankfully don't get injured

Werners on fire this season, 18 in 16 games in BL. Lewandowski has 18 in 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Manchester United are reportedly closing in on a £76million deal for Red Bull Salzburg wonderkid Erling Braut Haaland in January but will have to loan him back for the rest of the season.

Daily Mail reporting big inflation in the teenager's price. The figure does have the feel that it's been plucked from thin air. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7802729/Man-United-close-76m-Haaland-deal-loan-RB-Salzburg.html

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Manchester United are reportedly closing in on a £76million deal for Red Bull Salzburg wonderkid Erling Braut Haaland in January but will have to loan him back for the rest of the season.

Daily Mail reporting big inflation in the teenager's price. The figure does have the feel that it's been plucked from thin air. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7802729/Man-United-close-76m-Haaland-deal-loan-RB-Salzburg.html

Transfer fee, wages over 5 years (guesswork) and about 25 million for Raiola would be my thinking

gimli2112 wrote: »

Thought he had a release clause of about 35m? Even Riaola wouldn't have the balls to look for 40m in a fee.

• Advertisement

Transfer fee, wages over 5 years (guesswork) and about 25 million for Raiola would be my thinking

I doubt it has any wages in it. If he does join United he'll be looking for £200k a week minimum (think Rashford is on £225k?) and that'd £52m over five years.

Doesn't he have a release clause of about €30 million (now again this is possibly made up) but that and the wages floated would make up 75 million you'd think.

Also time to buy is now for English clubs from Europe. Sterling has had a bounce against the euro. It might get more expensive again closer to Brexit if it all gets a bit rocky again.

Doesn't he have a release clause of about €30 million (now again this is possibly made up) but that and the wages floated would make up 75 million you'd think.

Also time to buy is now for English clubs from Europe. Sterling has had a bounce against the euro. It might get more expensive again closer to Brexit if it all gets a bit rocky again.

Yes I thought his release clause was €35m. Riaola is going to want a big fee out of it anyway.

I think he'll stay in the Red Bull group and move to Leipzig to try push them win the Bundesliga, stay for a few short years and move when he's 22/23 for a huge fee and move again then when he's 28/29 for one last payday.

I don't think there's anything in that story - if there were redcafe would have this at the top of the discussion page and it's 40 minutes since the last post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Rumour now is that Haaland will choose RB Leipzig, freeing up Werner to join LFC.

I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thought I read somewhere the release clause could only be triggered by an RB club, I guess another club could bid what they want, not sure how it would work. I'd say Riaola would like him at a mid-sized club in a lower league before a big money move ie. gamble he could continue to perform and push up the price in 12 months time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wages are apparently stopping him joining the other RB. Hence the higher fee to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

By the looks of things it would be next May, when the new set of accounts appears, when there is more risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Edinson Cavani could be on his way to Atletico Madrid from PSG either in January or for a free transfer next summer . Sky in Italy are reporting this.

DenMan wrote: »
    Edinson Cavani could be on his way to Atletico Madrid from PSG either in January or for a free transfer next summer . Sky in Italy are reporting this.

Wouldn't be a major surprise; it's a case of too many cooks for PSG at the moment. Just not possible to get Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe, Icardi, di Maria, Draxler, etc into a functional team, and none would be too keen to spend their time on the bench.

Atletico in need of some fire power too. Costa hasn't recaptured his form since returning there and Morata isn't consistent. Felix looks good but raw so adding some proven firepower that would likely leave/retire within 2-3 seasons (and facilitate the development of Felix) might be a good idea.

• Advertisement

Not a fan of that move from Atletico's point of view. Think Cavani's best days are gone now. He's had a lot of niggling injuries and produced one of the worst misses I've seen this season against Nantes a few weeks back when he failed to score in an open goal after Mbappe set him up.

I can see him scoring well in La Liga as the likes of Joselu and Lucas Perez have managed to do so and he's much better than them, but is he going to make a difference in the big games, or at European level? I would doubt it.

Not a fan of that move from Atletico's point of view. Think Cavani's best days are gone now. He's had a lot of niggling injuries and produced one of the worst misses I've seen this season against Nantes a few weeks back when he failed to score in an open goal after Mbappe set him up.

I can see him scoring well in La Liga as the likes of Joselu and Lucas Perez have managed to do so and he's much better than them, but is he going to make a difference in the big games, or at European level? I would doubt it.

No, that's a valid point too but it's hard to think of many readily available strikers that Atletico could put into the team who will score in the league and won't break the bank given their huge spend in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

No, that's a valid point too but it's hard to think of many readily available strikers that Atletico could put into the team who will score in the league and won't break the bank given their huge spend in the summer.

I remember reading about him being linked to Atletico a month or two ago and the major issue was his wage demands. He's 33 in February and he's easily on at least €200k a week. An 18 month contract alone would cost about €15m in wages if he doesn't take a massive paycut. I'm not sure he's worth that, regardless of any transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

I just heard on the radio in the car that Everton have given Ancelotti a four and half year contract. I really hope it works out for them because 6 months or a year down the line if they sack him they'll have to pay him out the remainder of his contract, just like what Napoli just did. Great for Ancelotti, bad for the clubs he manages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Xhaka has agreed terms with Hertha Berlin.....Sky.

Zlatan is on the verge of joining AC Milan.

Hwang to Wolves. Salzburg are being picked apart. If Hwang is going for 23m, then how much will Halaand cost?

https://twitter.com/GGFN_/status/1210609159936335873?s=19

FitzShane wrote: »
    Hwang to Wolves. Salzburg are being picked apart. If Hwang is going for 23m, then how much will Halaand cost?

https://twitter.com/GGFN_/status/1210609159936335873?s=19

Hwang will do very well at Wolves.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hwang will do very well at Wolves.

He impressed me too in the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Carles Aleña gone to Betis on a loan deal for the rest of the season. Hopefully they can get a defensive midfielder in now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

FitzShane wrote: »
    Isn't his release clause €20m?

• Advertisement
Advertisement