Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

stop answering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

rossie1977 wrote: »
    How have City been able to hold on to KDB, Agüero and David Silva all this time?

The excuse previously was that Latin stars were enticed by Real and Barca and Liverpool were winning nothing so it was obvious why they were moving on.

KDB has only been there 4 years so I don’t think he’s comparable to Aguero and DSilva. I didn’t say players won’t stay. I said it’s not as appealing too live in the UK as other city’s. It’s just my opinion but only for Pep joining City that time I don’t think they would have held onto as many of their top established players as they did, thus my reference to Klopp being key for Liverpool to keep
    Their star players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

rossie1977 wrote: »
    How have City been able to hold on to KDB, Agüero and David Silva all this time?

The excuse previously was that Latin stars were enticed by Real and Barca and Liverpool were winning nothing so it was obvious why they were moving on.

Offshore Accounts

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If they do win the lot this season it’ll be interesting to see if lads stay in Liverpool or if they want a challenge. the UK and Ireland aren’t really appealing places to live for people from the continent when they could be in Madrid, Turin etc
    Klopp will be key to holding onto lads as once the German national team or Bayern come calling you’d imagine his head will turned
    KDB has only been there 4 years so I don’t think he’s comparable to Aguero and DSilva. I didn’t say players won’t stay. I said it’s not as appealing too live in the UK as other city’s. It’s just my opinion but only for Pep joining City that time I don’t think they would have held onto as many of their top established players as they did, thus my reference to Klopp being key for Liverpool to keep Their star players

Klopp literally signed a new long term contract in December, less than 2 months ago.

He also said this
    “With new players when you want to bring them in they ask: ‘How long is the manager going to be here?’”
    “We all wanted to avoid that so it’s done and I am really happy about that.”

FitzShane wrote: »
    Klopp literally signed a new long term contract in December, less than 2 months ago.

He also said this

We all know contracts aren’t worth the value of the cost of the ink used to print them. Be it players or managers, once they want out that’s it. It’s hard to deal with a player once they get their head turned, not a mind a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

we can only win one league at a time let's worry about next year next year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I doubt Klopp will be going anywhere anytime soon, but in 2013 he signed a 5 year extension to his Dortmund contract before announcing his resignation 18 months later. Signing new contracts doesn't mean anything anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

If they do win the lot this season it’ll be interesting to see if lads stay in Liverpool or if they want a challenge. the UK and Ireland aren’t really appealing places to live for people from the continent when they could be in Madrid, Turin etc
    Klopp will be key to holding onto lads as once the German national team or Bayern come calling you’d imagine his head will turned

Why would you imagine that? He's never given any inclination he wants to manage either.
    As has been said, he's signed a contract extension till 2024 with the current World and European champions. I cannot see his head being turned by the national team or Bayern in the next four years. As much as opposition fans would like it, sorry...it aint happening. :)

FPLsubscribe had to delete his Twitter account after this from all the abuse he received from triggered rabid fans.

Sad because he seemed legit and his information was sound from what I'd seen

What's ironic is that sky sports were reporting the same thing the other day

I guess he could take the abuse first time when he did the Rashford thing, but twice was enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I guess he could take the abuse first time when he did the Rashford thing, but twice was enough

Why would he get abuse when the info was right originally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Have you visited the Internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

CSF wrote: »
    Have you visited the Internet?

Not all of it. It's huge.

Because people are stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Summer transfer window will revert to closing on September 1st, after 2 seasons of closing a few days before the league started in early August.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/06/premier-league-transfer-window-summer-2020-shut-1-september

To be honest there was a Brexit-esque "we'll lead the way and the rest of the foreigner types will surely follow" arrogance about the initial August move.

Summer transfer window will revert to closing on September 1st, after 2 seasons of closing a few days before the league started in early August.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/06/premier-league-transfer-window-summer-2020-shut-1-september

To be honest there was a Brexit-esque "we'll lead the way and the rest of the foreigner types will surely follow" arrogance about the initial August move.

I think it's better that it closes before the season starts. It forces clubs into being well planned and not scrambling at the last minute to try and get their new players in.

I'm going to use them as an example but the likes of West Ham, Spurs etc used to love signing a new striker on deadline day for 2m cheaper, rather than having him for 2 months and training with new players during pre-season. Look at the difference between Liverpool agreeing to sign Minamino in December 2019 and him ready to play in the first available game on the 5th of January, after some training sessions under his belt and Man United scrambling on the last day trying to sign Joshua King, and ending up with Ighalo on loan and if rumours are to be believed trying for Ings also. Ighalo isn't going to play his first game until February 17th - 6 weeks after Minamino did.

This will probably suit better run clubs more, and could end up creating a bigger divide between them.

The fact England start their season 1 weeks before Spain and Germany and 2 weeks before Italy has hindered them in this sense. Only France from the top leagues start the same weekend. Perhaps leagues will allign around the time of the Qatar World Cup, but August temperatures in Spain/Italy are too hot so they have to start later (I assume).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Why would you imagine that? He's never given any inclination he wants to manage either.
    As has been said, he's signed a contract extension till 2024 with the current World and European champions. I cannot see his head being turned by the national team or Bayern in the next four years. As much as opposition fans would like it, sorry...it aint happening. :)

I wouldn't think Klopp is any rush to leave, barring it going tits up for him in that last season at Dortmund I'd say he'd probably still be there actually. I definitely wouldn't see him leaving for Bayern I don't think he has any love for them does he? but maybe the German national team alright or one of the Spanish clubs, Madrid more likely than Barca, seems a better fit.

See how things go sure, the league is delivered this season, he has them playing great, players love him, fans love him. Same as at Dortmund, if it doesn't go tits up in the same fashion he could be there for a good while yet. You just never know in football though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I wouldn't think Klopp is any rush to leave, barring it going tits up for him in that last season at Dortmund I'd say he'd probably still be there actually. I definitely wouldn't see him leaving for Bayern I don't think he has any love for them does he? but maybe the German national team alright or one of the Spanish clubs, Madrid more likely than Barca, seems a better fit.

See how things go sure, the league is delivered this season, he has them playing great, players love him, fans love him. Same as at Dortmund, if it doesn't go tits up in the same fashion he could be there for a good while yet. You just never know in football though.

Tits up is a bit of an exaggeration really. Dortmund lost Lewandowski to Munich losing a top start every season to your main rival hurts any team and had an injury crisis as well and despite that they finished 7th in the league getting into the europa league they got to the last 16 of the champions league were runners up in the German cup and won the German super cup. That is still a pretty decent season when you are up against Munich.

Tits up is a bit of an exaggeration really. Dortmund lost Lewandowski to Munich losing a top start every season to your main rival hurts any team and had an injury crisis as well and despite that they finished 7th in the league getting into the europa league they got to the last 16 of the champions league were runners up in the German cup and won the German super cup. That is still a pretty decent season when you are up against Munich.

They were bottom of the league in February. Yes they made a recovery to finish 7th place, but they still had the second best team/squad in the Bundesliga and should never have been outside the top 4, never mind bottom of the table. Tits up is a very apt description of how that season went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Messi throwing a strop tonight after the lose in the cup will City and Pep be straight on to the phone to comfort him I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unless its for holiday/break I never expected Klopp to leave Liverpool not for a club anyway but after it was mentione her I somewhat wonder if he could be tempted by the German job?

Dont think he's the type for international management personally but I'd view the German job as far more likely than Bayern.

• Advertisement

I think the German job is a lot more appealing than the England one, primarily because they have a chance to win something but also you don't have to deal with the likes of Piers Morgan belittling you from the redtops.
    Difficult for a German to turn down I would have thought.

In that final BVB season, just after Bayern had taken Lewandoski that summer and Gotze the summer previous, BVB were riddled with injuries.

1) Gundogan was only coming back from over a full year out with a back injury and missed a good portion of the games at the start of the season.
    2) Piszczek also missed a good chunk of games throughout the season - missed 10 league games through a ligament injury.
    3) Schmelzer missed most of the first half of the season either injured or recovering from injury and being on the bench. Only 2 starts before December.
    4) Hummels was in & out of the team with numerous injuries and missed 9 league games himself also.
    5) Reus was injured just as much as he started games with numerous different injuries.
    6) Blaszczykowski effectively missed 20 league games alone with injury.
    7) Großkreutz had injury problems of his own and missed nearly half the season.
    8) Nuri Sahin was injured for pretty much the whole season.

That's 8 different important players for the team that had bad injury records throughout the season, it addition to losing Lewandoski on a free transfer in the summer, and losing Gotze the summer before. That's an awful lot of important players to be missing or have left. Every manager in the world would struggle under those circumstances, especially the way the German league is set up.

When Klopp started at Liverpool we had a lot of injuries. Some Dutch? doctor started making a name for himself by pointing out the similarities. Haven't heard from him in a while.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    When Klopp started at Liverpool we had a lot of injuries. Some Dutch? doctor started making a name for himself by pointing out the similarities. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Raymond Verheijen. At the time I remember him criticising Klopp, LVG, Wenger, Pochettino and Mourihno. More recently he's laid into Phil Neville. He seems to be a bit of a rent-a-quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

In that final BVB season, just after Bayern had taken Lewandoski that summer and Gotze the summer previous, BVB were riddled with injuries.

1) Gundogan was only coming back from over a full year out with a back injury and missed a good portion of the games at the start of the season.
    2) Piszczek also missed a good chunk of games throughout the season - missed 10 league games through a ligament injury.
    3) Schmelzer missed most of the first half of the season either injured or recovering from injury and being on the bench. Only 2 starts before December.
    4) Hummels was in & out of the team with numerous injuries and missed 9 league games himself also.
    5) Reus was injured just as much as he started games with numerous different injuries.
    6) Blaszczykowski effectively missed 20 league games alone with injury.
    7) Großkreutz had injury problems of his own and missed nearly half the season.
    8) Nuri Sahin was injured for pretty much the whole season.

That's 8 different important players for the team that had bad injury records throughout the season, it addition to losing Lewandoski on a free transfer in the summer, and losing Gotze the summer before. That's an awful lot of important players to be missing or have left. Every manager in the world would struggle under those circumstances, especially the way the German league is set up.

Yeah he was incredibly unlucky that season with Dortmund, everyone was claiming at the time that his training and playing style was the reason for so many injuries but he hasn’t had that problem with Liverpool so that’s been debunked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah he was incredibly unlucky that season with Dortmund, everyone was claiming at the time that his training and playing style was the reason for so many injuries but he hasn’t had that problem with Liverpool so that’s been debunked.

He rests players far more at Liverpool so it's more likely he evolved to stop it happening again.

They rallied late on alright yeah, after he had announced he would be stepping down iirc.

Yeah, tits up is pretty accurate. It isn't meant as a sleight on him. Dortmund were a title winning, title challenging team who were languishing near the bottom end of the table that season. They rallied and finished 7th, which isn't exactly a place to crow about?

Are there mitigating factors? Of course, there always are. Doesn't change how the season went and again, is not intended as a sleight on the man. Things get stale, especially in modern football.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

They rallied late on alright yeah, after he had announced he would be stepping down iirc.

Yeah, tits up is pretty accurate. It isn't meant as a sleight on him. Dortmund were a title winning, title challenging team who were languishing near the bottom end of the table that season. They rallied and finished 7th, which isn't exactly a place to crow about?

Are there mitigating factors? Of course, there always are. Doesn't change how the season went and again, is not intended as a sleight on the man. Things get stale, especially in modern football.

And to build on that whilst the burn out may not happen as fast with Liverpool, the challenge (after it’s confirmed this year) is to retain it, then down the road is to repeat it when the team needs rebuilding, Blackburn & Leicester City have proved it can be done once. Twice is a different story, doing it with Whilst having to rebuild your side is another challenge again and I don’t know will Klopp have that in him. I think other challenges will turn his head before he gets or wants to get to that point.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dortmund were robbed in that champions League final too. There is absolutely no way Dante should have been on the pitch for the last 25 mins of the game yet I recall he either escaped a clear yellow earlier, or a yellow for the penalty tackle, that may have warranted a red.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Dortmund were robbed in that champions League final too. There is absolutely no way Dante should have been on the pitch for the last 25 mins of the game yet I recall he either escaped a clear yellow earlier, or a yellow for the penalty tackle, that may have warranted a red.

That was a different season though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool demand no Brexit restrictions on player visas as Premier League moves transfer window back in line with Europe

Option of closing the domestic window early was rejected.
    The English summer transfer window was moved back in line with European leagues on Thursday following a climbdown by Premier League clubs.

Player trading will now close on Sept 1 after Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea persuaded the remaining 14 that ending dealing prior to the start of the season was compromising deals with La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga.

The decision to abandon reforms launched in 2018 were agreed after two rounds of voting at a central London meeting of club executives.

This summer's window is the last before the end of Britain's transition period in its exit from the EU, and clubs said they needed to maximise their bargaining powers despite the risk of reintroducing uncertainty amongst squads for several weeks after the first day of the season....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/06/clubs-vote-extend-summer-transfer-window-september-1-match-european/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Darren Gibson signs for Salford City till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Liverpool demand no Brexit restrictions on player visas as Premier League moves transfer window back in line with Europe

Option of closing the domestic window early was rejected.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/06/clubs-vote-extend-summer-transfer-window-september-1-match-european/

Good that Liverpool can now make demands as high as UK foreign policy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/riksharma_/status/1227280538534170624

Only in La Liga.... It's gas how the authorities bend over backwards for the big 2 clubs.

https://twitter.com/riksharma_/status/1227280538534170624

Only in La Liga.... It's gas how the authorities bend over backwards for the big 2 clubs.

There must be something else though, is it because Mr Bitey is out also? It's appalling though that you can have Griezeman and Messi on your books and still be considered to be having an injury crises.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There must be something else though, is it because Mr Bitey is out also? It's appalling though that you can have Griezeman and Messi on your books and still be considered to be having an injury crises.

Because it's Barca, that's all.

Sure look back at all the dodgy decisions them and Madrid got in CL games against smaller teams to see how they are looked after.

I wonder if Jose will approach the FA to be allowed sign a striker now to cover for Kane? He'd be told where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

This rule applies to all Spanish clubs - if any player is injured for five months or longer, you can sign a replacement after the window closes, but only from another Spanish side.

Sid Lowe (I think) discussed it on one of the podcasts last week.

It's a bit of a nonsense but the whole league has the chance to do so.

As he said, though, you could end up with the situation where Barca get their allowance to sign a striker due to their "crisis" and decide to trigger Rodrigo's release clause at Valencia. They sign him and Valencia are down their star player but can't replace him as the rule only allows injury replacement signings, not sale replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

This rule applies to all Spanish clubs - if any player is injured for five months or longer, you can sign a replacement after the window closes, but only from another Spanish side.

As he said, though, you could end up with the situation where Barca get their allowance to sign a striker due to their "crisis" and decide to trigger Rodrigo's release clause at Valencia. They sign him and Valencia are down their star player but can't replace him as the rule only allows injury replacement signings, not sale replacements.

No way! That's madness!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Presumably a player signed like that wouldn't be allowed play in the Champions League?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

8-10 wrote: »
    Presumably a player signed like that wouldn't be allowed play in the Champions League?

No, eligible for the league only.

They got the go-ahead anyway - either another Spanish league based player or a free agent should be inbound.

Could be a disaster if they trigger a release clause for a player at another side who would then be powerless to stop them moving on.

Barcelona have signed former Middlesbrough forward Martin Braithwaite until 2024.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which has now caused on knock on effect for his (old) club Leganés who are down a forward and cannot sign anyone because the rules of the Spanish FA were not thought through (or maybe they were!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Barcelona have signed former Middlesbrough forward Martin Braithwaite until 2024.

And a release clause of €300m :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Spanish system is a joke, thats leganes probably relegated now

Advertisement