Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brentford want Emre Mor (Galatasaray, on loan from Celta Vigo,). He was one of that clutch speedy attackers that seemed to come through at the same time in Germany - Christian Pulisic, Ousmane Dembele, Kingsley Coman etc.

Ashley Young has either left the building in all but name (BBC) or he is about to tempted by a one year extension (SKY)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Brentford want Emre Mor (Galatasaray, on loan from Celta Vigo,). He was one of that clutch speedy attackers that seemed to come through at the same time in Germany - Christian Pulisic, Ousmane Dembele, Kingsley Coman etc.

Ashley Young has either left the building in all but name (BBC) or he is about to tempted by a one year extension (SKY)

Shame about Mor, brilliant player on his day, loads of potential but apparently a really bad attitude and a questionable entourage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Is Joe Allen worth 12 million..... Fcuk me!

£12m for an experienced international centre midfielder who would count as homegrown? Seems about right to me in the current market.

Allen was a good player for his time in the PL. He wasn't a superstar but had he been content with being a backup, he would have remained at Liverpool, i think. They didn't want him gone.

As it was, he wanted to play regularly which is fair but he probably made the wrong choice of destination in hindsight. A Stoke team going into free fall.

If he can recapture his PL form and give West Ham another option with Noble and Rice in the centre over Carlos Sanchez, then its a steal.

It remains to be seen what damage being out of the PL for so long did to him (and Butland too) though so that's where the gamble comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He was a good player at Liverpool, £12m is nothing for an experienced international player.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »

Were Chelsea not trying to sign him? Think United were linked last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

GLaDOS wrote: »
    12m is essentially a free transfer in todays market

So does that mean a free transfer is now essentially like being paid 12m to take a player on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

It's a cliche but for a reason - never sign Italian strikers for the Prem. 80% of big deal moves just do not work*

*estimate off the top of the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Some Italian forwards that come to mind, I'm sure I'm missing loads, majority of below have been poor.

Vialli, Ravanelli, Casiraghi, Ballotelli, Borini, Zola, Rossi, Maccarone, Carbone, Grabbi, Kean, Pelle, Macheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a cliche but for a reason - never sign Italian strikers for the Prem. 80% of big deal moves just do not work*

*estimate off the top of the head.

Most Italian players never work out. Liverpool signed some dross Balotelli, Aquilani, Dossena, Borini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didnt a young Matterazzi spend 3 months at Everton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

pjohnson wrote: »
    Didnt a young Matterazzi spend 3 months at Everton?

Was a year and got sent off a few times. Was nuts even then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rob316 wrote: »
    Most Italian players never work out. Liverpool signed some dross Balotelli, Aquilani, Dossena, Borini.

Ya but dossena scored THAT goal,he gets a pass from me.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Some Italian forwards that come to mind, I'm sure I'm missing loads, majority of below have been poor.

Vialli, Ravanelli, Casiraghi, Ballotelli, Borini, Zola, Rossi, Maccarone, Carbone, Grabbi, Kean, Pelle, Macheda

Many of these were children. A few were rubbish even in italy. Italians find the culture of england like being foregn. Zola, Ravanelli, Vialli were far superior to others in england.

Esse85 wrote: »

Odd list -

Vialli, Ravanelli and Zola were unquestionable successes; Zola one of the best players in the league around the time he was in the PL. Carbone a solid player, could also add di Canio too.

I presume Rossi is Guiseppe Rossi? 15 games for Man United (and, apparently 11 for Newcastle) before moving on and injuries destroying his career.

Casiraghi? 10 games, 1 goal in 3 months, then a cruciate knee ligament injury that ended his career. That's bad luck, not a bad player.

Balotelli had mixed success - he was good at City, bad at Liverpool, and Graziano Pelle played his best football in England.

Borini was no good for anyone tbf but Maccarone was excellent for Boro in their UEFA Cup run, and you left Attilio Lombardo out, a Palace legend.

There seems to have been some high profile Italian failures but I can't imagine the success rate is much better or worse than other countries.

The issue is a cultural one - for Italian footballers, until quite recently, the pinnacle was Juve, Milan, etc and there was less interest in going abroad for top talents. Same with Spain until about 10-15 years ago. The best players stayed put.

So, of course, the mediocre ones who were snapped up were always more of a risk - some good, some bad, some too young to make an impact and some too old to do anything despite success earlier in their careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Was a year and got sent off a few times. Was nuts even then

"He then spent 1998–99 with Everton, where he was sent off three times in just 27 games"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Odd list -

Vialli, Ravanelli and Zola were unquestionable successes; Zola one of the best players in the league around the time he was in the PL. Carbone a solid player, could also add di Canio too.

I presume Rossi is Guiseppe Rossi? 15 games for Man United (and, apparently 11 for Newcastle) before moving on and injuries destroying his career.

Casiraghi? 10 games, 1 goal in 3 months, then a cruciate knee ligament injury that ended his career. That's bad luck, not a bad player.

Balotelli had mixed success - he was good at City, bad at Liverpool, and Graziano Pelle played his best football in England.

Borini was no good for anyone tbf but Maccarone was excellent for Boro in their UEFA Cup run, and you left Attilio Lombardo out, a Palace legend.

There seems to have been some high profile Italian failures but I can't imagine the success rate is much better or worse than other countries.

The issue is a cultural one - for Italian footballers, until quite recently, the pinnacle was Juve, Milan, etc and there was less interest in going abroad for top talents. Same with Spain until about 10-15 years ago. The best players stayed put.

So, of course, the mediocre ones who were snapped up were always more of a risk - some good, some bad, some too young to make an impact and some too old to do anything despite success earlier in their careers.

Casiraghi was a bad signing, whatever the reasons.

Di canio wasn't added because the poster mentioned strikers. Same with Lombardo. That's why I didn't list them.

Rossi did nothing in England and injuries didn't destroy his career, he left United and moved to Villareal where he played 136 games. Played a further 80 plus games after that with various clubs.

Pelle had 50 goals in 57 games for Feyenoord, he'd 23 goals in 68 for Southampton. You say his best football was played at Southampton, thats questionable.

Maccarone played what a handful of games in the UEFA Cup and you mention that. He was at the club 5 years and did very little else despite joining for a big fee at the time, he then left Boro for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some chat of Giroud and Eriksen to Inter.

Spurs trying hard for Piatek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

FitzShane wrote: »
    Spurs trying hard for Piatek.

Polish mate of mine says he's the heir to lewandowski. Wonder what kind of money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Piatek was great last season but went off the boil this campaign, although pretty much every Milan player has. I can see why Spurs would want him in Kane's absence as there are similarities there, yet Kane offers much more in general play. Piatek won't drop deep the way Kane often would. He won't offer much in the way of creativity. There's nothing fancy in his style of play.

My feeling is if he goes there and they expect him to be a straight Kane replacement, he will struggle. If they're going to alter their style for the more orthodox striker that he is, i.e. lots of balls in the box, then he could do a decent short-term job. Gut feeling says in the long run it won't work out. Think he'd be better suited to the Bundesliga.

Polish mate of mine says he's the heir to lewandowski. Wonder what kind of money?

£28 million according to the papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Piatek was great last season but went off the boil this campaign, although pretty much every Milan player has. I can see why Spurs would want him in Kane's absence as there are similarities there, yet Kane offers much more in general play. Piatek won't drop deep the way Kane often would. He won't offer much in the way of creativity. There's nothing fancy in his style of play.

My feeling is if he goes there and they expect him to be a straight Kane replacement, he will struggle. If they're going to alter their style for the more orthodox striker that he is, i.e. lots of balls in the box, then he could do a decent short-term job. Gut feeling says in the long run it won't work out. Think he'd be better suited to the Bundesliga.

(at the risk of opening up another sh1tstorm like the Liverpool/Jack Charlton one) Spurs have been quite direct since Jose has taken over, have often pushed Delli up close to Harry and bypassed midfield.

https://theathletic.com/1518750/2020/01/10/january-window-transfer-money?source=shared-article

Decent piece on the Athletic (paywalled, of course) on the success rate of January transfers.

In short, the vast majority fail. No surprise there.

But this stat really stood out to me: strikers account for 20% of January signings. 55% of them fail to score a single goal in their first half season at their new club. Just 14% score five or more goals.

Even players who went on to be massive successes - Suarez and Dzeko are the two mentioned here - start slow, scoring four and six goals in their first half seasons. Aubameyang an obvious exception, scoring ten in his first few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Zola was over 20 years ago.

Italian players in general are struggling when going abroad.

I wouldnt be signing any if them for my club.

Immobile is the prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

MD1990 wrote: »
    Zola was over 20 years ago.

Italian players in general are struggling when going abroad.

I wouldnt be signing any if them for my club.

Immobile is the prime example.

Zaza.

End.

• Advertisement

Some interesting names there.

Will be interested to see what happens with Hendrick and Brady, from an international perspective. Will the Irish numbers in the league dwindle further? Hopefully not.

Plenty of players who might catch an eye but would be a gamble - thinking Clyne and Lallana. I'm a big Lallana fan and he looks good this season but no doubt his injuries would raise a concern.

Eric Bailly might fall into that list too. Looked a great youngster and injuries have been a big factor in his issues.

Fantasy PL legend John Lundstram there too...

Ryan Fraser is the interesting one though, I think. Looked a great footballer last season and totally off the boil this year. Now the whole Bournemouth team has slumped so he could represent a great bargain for someone taking the chance on him or it could be that last season was a purple patch and this is his level.

In reality, most of them will sit tight and do nothing of note, though.

Someone else was linked with him today, forget whom.

Ryan Babel is back at Ajax for his third spell. Promising youth product.

• Advertisement

A bit of morning paper gossip.

United looking at Dembele of Lyon.

Liverpool prepared to offer £90 million for his namesake at Barcelona.

Pep interested in signing Grealish.

West Ham and Spurs are signing Benfica's Fernandes depending who you read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Shamrock on the transfer list?

Probably start for Villa tbf.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Shamrock on the transfer list?

Looking like he is now. :)

Dunno how that happened, somehow ended up on drp forum instead of a tweet link. Anyhow, here's what I meant to copy.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1216695146919669761

• Advertisement

Brighton want £50 million from Chelsea for Dunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Brighton want £50 million from Chelsea for Dunk.

That's what I'd ask for too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Baggly wrote: »
    That's what I'd ask for too.

Sure why not... he's very important to them staying up, and that's a valuable attribute. Also when Maguire went for what he did, bound to chance your arm in this market. Obviously an inferior player, but 60% of Maguire's price sounds about right, for a player with 60-70% of the ability.

Why don't Chelsea buy Ake back? They have a clause at 40m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chelsea and Arsenal both interested in signing Thomas Lemar as Atletico seem happy to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Was he the guy that wouldn't sign for us because his feet got too cold or am I thinking of someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Was he the guy that wouldn't sign for us because his feet got too cold or am I thinking of someone else?

The cold feet guy was Seri he signed with Fulham.

Lemar was a target of both Liverpool and Arsenal in 2017.

Thomas Lemar was the wide left attacker for Monaco in THAT season, 50m was Liverpool's offer right at the death of the transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rashford could be aligning with Raiola.

If that happens he isn't staying at Man Utd much longer if they stay outside the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MD1990 wrote: »
    Rashford could be aligning with Raiola.

If that happens he isn't staying at Man Utd much longer if they stay outside the top 4.

Hahaha. Sure pal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement