Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Gedson Fernandes completes an 18 month loan to Spurs with a view to buy.

I won't pretend to know a thing about him. Anyone have any insight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gedson Fernandes completes an 18 month loan to Spurs with a view to buy.

I won't pretend to know a thing about him. Anyone have any insight?

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1217371021122162688

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've seen Gedson linked with decent moves for a while now, but he never seems to get a whole lot of game time with Benfica. Seems a bit odd, maybe he's still all potential. (Never seen him play myself)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

One to rule out: Juventus defender Merih Demiral has been ruled out for 6-7 months after suffering an ACL injury.

He had been linked with Man United, Leicester and Arsenal (and probably others) but this will surely put the breaks on that for the time being at least.

Nicolo Zaniolo was injured in the same game, which was played at the Olimpico just 24 hours after Lazio had played on the pitch and prompted complaints from players about the condition of it.

I don't think Zaniolo was likely to move anywhere in January but this will, apparently, prompt a Roma flurry in the transfer market, with Xerdan Shaqiri among those linked to plug that gap already.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I've seen Gedson linked with decent moves for a while now, but he never seems to get a whole lot of game time with Benfica. Seems a bit odd, maybe he's still all potential. (Never seen him play myself)

https://theathletic.com/1533052/2020/01/15/gedson-fernandes-may-have-fallen-behind-adel-taarabt-in-the-benfica-pecking-order-but-this-move-could-reignite-his-career-and-spurs-midfield/

This piece doesn't shed much light on him either other than to say he was very highly rated when young and that he is behind Adel Taarabt in the pecking order at Benfica.
    Indeed, for all Fernandes’ obvious potential, it is revealing that there was no real outcry at his departure. Benfica are happy to let him go; they will be even happier if Tottenham end up exercising the option to buy him for €50 million at the end of his 18-month loan spell. That would be an incredible fee to receive for an out-of-favour player. Not for nothing did Portuguese sport newspaper Record’s columnist Rui Calafate suggest that agent Jorge Mendes deserves a statue for brokering this deal.

None of which is to say that this move will not pay off for Spurs as well. Providing Fernandes can recapture his best form, he will add energy and craft to a midfield that desperately needs it. He is an all-rounder, and while that description can often sound like faint praise, it gives Mourinho a flexible, pliable option.

That's the gist, really. So I am none the wiser. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

https://theathletic.com/1533052/2020/01/15/gedson-fernandes-may-have-fallen-behind-adel-taarabt-in-the-benfica-pecking-order-but-this-move-could-reignite-his-career-and-spurs-midfield/

This piece doesn't shed much light on him either other than to say he was very highly rated when young and that he is behind Adel Taarabt in the pecking order at Benfica.

That's the gist, really. So I am none the wiser. :pac:

Wonder if its part of a longer plan... Fernandes is a Mendes player, as is the thoroughly average striker Ze Luis being linked to spurs to cover for Kane's injury. Could be a case of Mendes wanting these players to get in the spotlight, in exchange for facilitating a bigger move in the summer.

He's got a track record for this sort of thing.

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1217737754571890688

Papers say Inter have representatives in London to tie up deals for Giroud,Ericksen and Young.

I feel like Inter are carrying out some devious scheme that no one else is informed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Conte has been talking a lot about a lack of squad depth, and those recruits, if they happen, would certainly add to his squad. The obvious drawback is the age of those players and, you'd imagine, the hefty wages they each command. Inter are only 2 points off Juventus and their recruitment policy seems to be signing Premier League cast offs, if they win the league I'm not sure if it means that Serie A is in bad shape, that the Premier League simply has an embarrassment of talented players not being used properly, if Conte is a genius, if Sarri is a fool or a combination of all of these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2 young talents there for Inter, in Young and Giroud. Eriksen if he can regain form would be a brilliant signing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Conte has been talking a lot about a lack of squad depth, and those recruits, if they happen, would certainly add to his squad. The obvious drawback is the age of those players and, you'd imagine, the hefty wages they each command. Inter are only 2 points off Juventus and their recruitment policy seems to be signing Premier League cast offs, if they win the league I'm not sure if it means that Serie A is in bad shape, that the Premier League simply has an embarrassment of talented players not being used properly, if Conte is a genius, if Sarri is a fool or a combination of all of these things.

Nonsense we have been told all season the PL is a poor quality league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

rob316 wrote: »
    Nonsense we have been told all season the PL is a poor quality league.

I don't know about that, quality-wise at least 2 of the top 5 teams in Europe are English, you could maybe even argue that 3 are English. I do think though there's so much wealth in the league, it leads to stockpiling at big clubs and you end up with players who, in the right conditions, are capable of doing so much more.

Liverpool are reportedly lining up a summer move of £107million for Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Kai Havertz.

The 20-year-old Germany international has impressed since making his breakthrough into the first team in 2016.

Liverpool now lead Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich in the race to sign Havertz, according to Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo.

Could be lined up as a replacement for Salah who is rumoured to be eyeing a move to Spain plus Liverpool would probably see it as a good move financially to cash in on Salah in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I feel like Inter are carrying out some devious scheme that no one else is informed about.

Like Creed Bratton
    a63b2f910992fdbbd09f2ea05590cc78.gif

Havertz tends to play more central so doesn't seem likely he'd be replacement for Salah.

Spending that much money on a position they don't particularly need to strengthen doesn't seem likely for Liverpool, but maybe Klopp is pushing for high quality competition to keep standards up?

• Advertisement

Liverpool are reportedly lining up a summer move of £107million for Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Kai Havertz.

The 20-year-old Germany international has impressed since making his breakthrough into the first team in 2016.

Liverpool now lead Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich in the race to sign Havertz, according to Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo.

Could be lined up as a replacement for Salah who is rumoured to be eyeing a move to Spain plus Liverpool would probably see it as a good move financially to cash in on Salah in the summer.

I don't believe this tbh. It's not coming from any of the more reputable Liverpool sources but is all being peddled by the Mail, SportBible, etc.

I don't believe this tbh. It's not coming from any of the more reputable Liverpool sources but is all being peddled by the Mail, SportBible, etc.

I can't see them doing any more business in this window,one player is in and Klopp has a settled squad.
    The summer could be different.

I can't see them doing any more business in this window,one player is in and Klopp has a settled squad.
    The summer could be different.

I'd be stunned if Liverpool moved for anyone else in January, for sure.

But even if it is a busy summer, I don't see Havertz being on the list at that price.

The reporters with actual good connections have been trotting out pieces the last few weeks about how the big money signings like Alisson and Van Dijk won't become the norm and that the club is happier to sign younger, hungry players who develop into their positions.

They won't greenlight a €100m+ spend for a player who isn't 100% nailed on to start and improve the team and, at present, Havertz wouldn't start every game.

Players of his profile, ability and experience will probably be targeted, but not those in that price bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

pjohnson wrote: »
    Like Creed Bratton
    a63b2f910992fdbbd09f2ea05590cc78.gif

A Creed reference is definitely worth a thanks.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Thought he was going to Inter?

He's gone,in Milan for a medical today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not for everyone? Young signs a 6 month deal with Inter.

https://twitter.com/youngy18/status/1218272125695471617

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Utd threatening to walk away from the Fernandes deal according to the star. £50M v £68M apparently. He seems the real deal surprised there's not more in for him.

Being reported elsewhere now but probably the same source

https://www.sports-nova.com/2020/01/19/breaking-bruno-fernandes-deal-to-manchester-united-hit-a-roadblock/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Juve, milan, napoli all 'enter the race' for Man U kid Chong, who's contract is up in the summer, according to DM.

The italians love an oul fee transfer, the Cavan lads of European football.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Utd threatening to walk away from the Fernandes deal according to the star. £50M v £68M apparently. He seems the real deal surprised there's not more in for him.

https://www.sports-nova.com/2020/01/19/breaking-bruno-fernandes-deal-to-manchester-united-hit-a-roadblock/

He seems to be the real deal on paper and the bits I've seen of him he looks very good.

The one question I would ask is at 25 why are Man U really the only team that seems to be in for him if he is the real deal coming into the prime of his career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He seems to be the real deal on paper and the bits I've seen of him he looks very good.

The one question I would ask is at 25 why are Man U really the only team that seems to be in for him if he is the real deal coming into the prime of his career?

Probably because he's overpriced. A quick Google would indicate that United are not the only team interested in him too but remain ignorant to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

gimli2112 wrote: »

Read somewhere yesterday that the devil is in the detail. Uniteds offer apparently reaches the required level, but includes unlikely bonus clauses, like United winning the Champions Lw2and Fernandes winning Balon D'or and silly stuff like that.

I woo would wonder about a lad still playing in Portugal at 25 yrs old - if he's that good why hasn't he gone to the big leagues before now. Played in Italy and wasn't a success AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I woo would wonder about a lad still playing in Portugal at 25 yrs old - if he's that good why hasn't he gone to the big leagues before now. Played in Italy and wasn't a success AFAIK.

Like Salah at Chelsea

The talk was that United had a gentleman's agreement with Lisbon since the Summer but now the goalposts are shifting more than a debate with Bangkok and the deal looking more and more doomed by the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some chit chat regarding Timo Werner back on the Liverpool agenda having been rebuffed last summer. Not sure if it can be taken too seriously, apparently Chelsea are after him so LFC might have to make a move to show intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Cavani has asked to leave PSG.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51172644

DenMan wrote: »
    Cavani has asked to leave PSG.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51172644

That Atletico deal was mooted a few weeks ago but if he is keen to leave PSG and it's not too late, Spurs and Chelsea (and Man United, actually, if Rashford is out for the next few months) could all do worse than to make a bid for him.

I dunno how he'd do in England but there won't be many strikers with his scoring record available and on the move in January and all of the above could do with attacking reinforcements.

Now, he might say no too - anyone coming in at Spurs knows theyre going to be bumped out for Kane when he's back, for e.g. - but it's worth a shot I think.

Jonathan Kodjia sold by Aston Villa to Qatari side Al Gharafa.

That leaves them with no striker, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Not player related but John Delaney has resigned from UEFA. He held the position of being a member on the UEFA Executive Committee.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0120/1109626-uefa-and-john-delaney-part-ways/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jonathan Kodjia sold by Aston Villa to Qatari side Al Gharafa.

That leaves them with no striker, right?

Waiting for the paperwork to go through on Mbwana Samatta from Genk in Belgium. He will go straight into the team for Tuesday if signed in time

Really shows the opinion of Kodjia though that Wesley's injury meant we had no other senior CF available and still he was sold off.

• Advertisement

Waiting for the paperwork to go through on Mbwana Samatta from Genk in Belgium. He will go straight into the team for Tuesday if signed in time

Really shows the opinion of Kodjia though that Wesley's injury meant we had no other senior CF available and still he was sold off.

He looked lively against Liverpool in the CL; scored in the second game, didn't he?

He'll have quite a bit of pressure on him. I think Villa have the bones of a side good enough to stay in the league but if they can't put the ball in the net, it won't matter how good Grealish, McGinn and Mings are. If he can get 5 or 6 between now and the end of the season, that might be the difference for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The talk was that United had a gentleman's agreement with Lisbon since the Summer but now the goalposts are shifting more than a debate with Bangkok and the deal looking more and more doomed by the hour.

sad man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He looked lively against Liverpool in the CL; scored in the second game, didn't he?

He'll have quite a bit of pressure on him. I think Villa have the bones of a side good enough to stay in the league but if they can't put the ball in the net, it won't matter how good Grealish, McGinn and Mings are. If he can get 5 or 6 between now and the end of the season, that might be the difference for them.

Yep that's the lad, Scored 3 in 6 champions league games for them and actually had a similarity impressive record in Europe last year with 9 goals in 12 Europa games.

Despite that it is not really ideal to be relying so much on a signing from the Belgian league hitting the ground running and bagging the goals to keep the side up. That said I believe Villa are actually hoping to bring in another striker but whether that would happen (and it'd most likely be on loan if it did) or not is not something I'm fully confident of.

With regards the 3 you mentioned, the injury to McGinn has been massive. He was actually playing with an injury for a few games prior to it but since his injury and then the subsequent injuries to Wesley and Heaton so much confidence was drained out of the side and Grealish has had to carry the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Inter Milan playing 2014 edition of FF.

• Advertisement

Interesting one here from the Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/20/nabil-bentaleb-newcastle-medical-premier-league-schalke-spurs

Nabil Bentaleb, formerly of Spurs, joining Newcastle. If I recall, he did quite well when he went there initially but the article says he hasn't featured since March when he was removed from the squad for disciplinary issues.

Also in the running for Inter left back Lazarro with both Dummett and Willems out for the season. He hasn't been good for Inter this season.

West Ham interested in bringing Payet back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Is this the quietist January window ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sky are trying go make the Womens League Deadline Day into a thing so yeah obviously struggling to even make up transfer stories.

• Advertisement
Advertisement