Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

billyhead wrote: »
    I think the reason United pulled out of the Haaland deal was because the father was looking for a few million from it and although we are happy to give agents a slice of a deal (Pogba transfer for example) you have to draw the line somewhere.

He's scored 5 goals in 60mins of play since joining Dortmund

Biggest success of the window so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

billyhead wrote: »
    I think the reason United pulled out of the Haaland deal was because the father was looking for a few million from it and although we are happy to give agents a slice of a deal (Pogba transfer for example) you have to draw the line somewhere.

He has a buyout clause in his Dortmund contract, somewhere between €50-60m.
    That's why he is there and not at a Juve or United. If he was on the market in January for €20m with no catch he'd have dozens of offers but there wasn't as many suitors as there would normally be.
    Whatever about the Bruno Fernandez deal I wouldn't use the Haaland transfer as an example of United not moving, he was always going to end up somewhere where he will get moved on quickly. The one thing I will say about Fernandez is that I bet he wishes he walked when others left Sporting 18 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

One Utd poster said in this thread there was a gentleman's agreement in place between Utd and Lisbon for the Fernandes to move this window, Well this transfer saga really doesn't seem that gentlemanly at all to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf I've just accepted my memory is fùcked because I coulda sworn the whole agents getting transfer fee thing was outlawed by FIFA going all the way back to the Joorabchian/Tevez/Mascherano/West Ham mess 15 years ago.

But it actually appears to have just become more common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf I've just accepted my memory is fùcked because I coulda sworn the whole agents getting transfer fee thing was outlawed by FIFA going all the way back to the Joorabchian/Tevez/Mascherano/West Ham mess 15 years ago.

That was third party ownership which isn't allowed in the UK wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Sander berge possibly heading for Sheffield utd is a strange one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wolves set to sign another U23 player.

Very strange they have no interest in doing anything for the senior side and Nuno has been vocal about wanting reinforcements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lucas Tousart becomes Hertha's record signing for €25m. I like the player and think he'll do well there. Seems Lyon are wanting Bruno Guimaraes from Atletico Paranaense. Don't know anything about him but seems to be highly rated by Brazil fans. Arsenal and Chelsea also linked with him.

I like Leeds' signing of Jean-Kevin Augustin. Interested to see how he fares under Bielsa.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

pjohnson wrote: »

That was agent ownership of players and the ability to sell a portion of a player to a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Am sure Eriksen had higher aspirations than Inter Milan?
    Did his attitude put off bigger teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Spurs have exercised their option to make lo celso's move permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Lucas Hood wrote: »

His performances over the past 18 months would make you pause before bidding for him. Utd who are crying out for a creative midfielder didn't seem interested. The wage Inter are reportedly offering is massive.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Inter Milan are challenging for the Italian league and will hope to contend for the European Cup next year. He’s moved from a club with significant problems and in need of a rebuild to one gaining a lot of momentum.

I think it could end up being a good move for him if he can regain his form.

Have to feel that Spurs got this one wrong. If he wasn’t signing a new contract they had to bite the bullet and move him on when a decent value could be attained. There were interested parties in the summer put off by a 100m valuation, apparently. An extra 30 or 40 million euros could have been brought in last summer imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Inter Milan are challenging for the Italian league and will hope to contend for the European Cup next year. He’s moved from a club with significant problems and in need of a rebuild to one gaining a lot of momentum.

I think it could end up being a good move for him if he can regain his form.

Have to feel that Spurs got this one wrong. If he wasn’t signing a new contract they had to bite the bullet and move him on when a decent value could be attained. There were interested parties in the summer put off by a 100m valuation, apparently. An extra 30 or 40 million euros could have been brought in last summer imo.

Yep, all well and good holding onto a player that'll still perform but Eriksen downed tools a long time ago. Definitely should've cashed in last summer.

No one put in a bid that would warrant losing one of our best players 6-12 months early. He has been poor, but still contributed in some big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lo Celso for 27m+his loan fee & Bergwin for 27m looks decent business.

Seen little of Bergwin but he looked very good against England last June.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lo Celso for 27m+his loan fee & Bergwin for 27m looks decent business.

Seen little of Bergwin but he looked very good against England last June.

Le Celso loan fee was only small as well. Something like 4m? Two very good players for less than €60m.

Kiith wrote: »
    No one put in a bid that would warrant losing one of our best players 6-12 months early. He has been poor, but still contributed in some big games.

I suppose opinions and all that, but I really don’t see this at all. You’re losing him 6 months early anyway for €17m. Were the few months since August worth the ~€40m that might have been earned? I have to doubt that.

Maybe on a principle level, Spurs lost a battle here to win a war? I guess only time will be the arbiter there but it’s hard for me to see how this improves leverage with the existing squad or makes top players feel Spurs is a good option. But that’s a high level view of course, you would have a better feel of that.

Letting players run down their contracts and go on a free or for a token fee in their last window before becoming a free agent seems to be the cardinal sin of modern squad management imo.

• Advertisement

That's assuming a €40+ million bid came in, which i don't think actually happened to be honest. They did say at some point that no bids had been received. Levy almost certainly would have sold him if a reasonable offer came in, but i can only assume that none came even close to an evaluation that he was ok with.

It may well be that no one felt it was worth offering a smaller amount, given Levy's reputation. Similar situation with Alderweireld i'd assume. Didn't make any sense to me that no one bid on him last summer for €25 million, or this last year for very little.

Kiith wrote: »
    That's assuming a €40+ million bid came in, which i don't think actually happened to be honest. They did say at some point that no bids had been received. Levy almost certainly would have sold him if a reasonable offer came in, but i can only assume that none came even close to an evaluation that he was ok with.

It may well be that no one felt it was worth offering a smaller amount, given Levy's reputation. Similar situation with Alderweireld i'd assume. Didn't make any sense to me that no one bid on him last summer for €25 million, or this last year for very little.

One of the writers in the Athletic - Ornstein I think - wrote today that potential suitors were informed of a €100m price tag in the summer and didn’t bother bidding...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Barcelona's incompetent board stealing a player they don't really need from under the noses of Man Utd's even more incompetent board to sign a player on loan who they really don't need is the deal of the window. Pure January transfer gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Barcelona's incompetent board stealing a player they don't really need from under the noses of Man Utd's even more incompetent board to sign a player on loan who they really don't need is the deal of the window. Pure January transfer gold.

If only united could provide their own fans with as much entertainment as they provide fans of other teams, both on and off the field.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a note to say how good a story this is - really great youth full back at Liverpool and club record setter for youngest player to make senior app, after a couple of loans including keeping Stephen Ward out at Wolves, he left for QPR was loaned to Huddersfield then BANG! - out with an injury that could end a career but now in the prem at a top club via Forest. Just keep going and you never know.

(wonder if he'd like to play as back up for Andy Robertson next season ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Fernandes to Barca growing legs. Apparently will be loaned out to Valencia until summer 20/21.

Eriksen could be Inter's reincarnation of Wesley Sneijder.

Ben Arfa to Valladolid on a free. Think he could do well in La Liga if he's motivated. One of the most frustrating, naturally gifted players around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Advertisement

His agent and Sporting have done one a masterful job there. Linking him with every top club in the last two windows even when none were that interested till Utd finally caved and offered the money they wanted in the first place last summer and again today linking him with Barca today that agent earned his commission on this transfer.

Alexa, show me a rattled, preferably stream-of-consciouness-esque comment from an ABU please.
    Linking him with every top club in the last two windows even when none were that interested till Utd finally caved and offered the money they wanted in the first place last summer and again today linking him with Barca today that agent earned his commission on this transfer.

Of course the poster who watches every game of football everywhere and knows everything about football and makes sure to let everyone on boards know in his posts has a snide comment to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not sure if this should also be posted in the Humour Thread! :pac:

1) €100m offer for Richarlison & 2) It was rejected.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1222566791479734275

:eek:

Fernandez to United done. €60m initial fee including the appearance fees which he should meet unless something mad happens. Another €20m in add-ons, one of which is €5m for qualification for the CL (I assume that's this season?).

Looking forward to seeing how he does now.

Best part €200m invested in Oles squad now.

• Advertisement

• Fiction > Facts

Kylie Walker-Peters has joined Southampton on loan.

Arsenal about to land Cedric Soares on loan to buy

Fiction > Facts

You post that in the wrong thread? Doesn't seem to fit in here?

Arsenal about to land Cedric Soares on loan to buy

Arsenal got Mari in on loan as well.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    You post that in the wrong thread? Doesn't seem to fit in here?

If it were the other way around I'd be hearing about net spend till the cows come home

• Advertisement

If it were the other way around I'd be hearing about net spend till the cows come home

You've lost me now?

You've lost me now?

The figures are way off if you are talking about actual investment in the squad

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You've lost me now?

They got a wedge of money for the likes of Lukkaku, you didn't factor that into your calculations is all. It's like when we say we got VVD and Allison for free because Coutinho

Presumably 200m refers to AWB + Mcguire + James + Fernandes - Lukaku

55+80+15+60-73, so no it's about 150m

The figures are way off if you are talking about actual investment in the squad

Ah now I get you. But have United spent close to €200m on players for Ole?

If I've a bit of time later I'll compare Ole and Klopp net spends since they joined United and Liverpool if that helps the argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't been given a chance, I think fullback is their weakest position as it least Kane when fit is top class. It feels like Aurier and Rose are linked with moves in every window and that is not down to their form being impressive either.

€200m seems buttons now. It's not even 2 and a half Richarlisons.

The mad thing is Everton said No

actually I'll withdraw my last comment he's probably worth £85M in this market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Amazing how Sporting can actually publish the fees involved in the deal and people in here can still be off.

Ah now I get you. But have United spent close to €200m on players for Ole?

If I've a bit of time later I'll compare Ole and Klopp net spends since they joined United and Liverpool if that helps the argument?

Tbf it's not really an argument nor do I want a willy waving contest comparing to Liverpool. No offense.

All I was pointing out was the figures were way off.

Lukaku alone was used to balance the purchase of Harry M. That's not true investment.

I haven't even spoke on how much money Glazers have taken out of the club and how the club debth is still a record high and it would give an even bigger indication how they are not investing in the club.

Liam O wrote: »
    Amazing how Sporting can actually publish the fees involved in the deal and people in here can still be off.

Who's off with their figures?

• Advertisement
Advertisement