Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January Transfer Window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very pleased with the signing of Bruno Fernandes. Still a massive amount of personnel changes needed in the team - and dugout - but it's an encouraging start. Delighted Rojo has departed too. One of the most frustrating signings I've ever witnessed at United.

200M spent by Ole now since the Summer. Certainly looks like he's going to be backed fully by Mr Woodward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Jaysus, what happened to Rodriguez? Was excellent a few years back. Would have thought he could definitely do a job for a few premier league teams...

He's glacial slow for a fullback nowdays, the difference in him & Hernandez is night & day; not sharp defensively either. When he was all set to go to Turkey it said it all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Everythings happening today. Tomorrows going to be very quiet.

Piatek to Hertha Berlin.

https://twitter.com/HerthaBSC/status/1222929713523458048

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1222928041539776512?s=19

He has the look of a Man City player about him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was surprised to hear about Rose to Newcastle. Was he that sgyte at Spurs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

cjmc wrote:

Attitude and application the issue, I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

cjmc wrote: »

He had a major falling out with the management in the Summer (maybe before this), they wanted to sell him. He's been a thorn in their side ever since.
    I imagine his managers looked at him the same way mine do with me, with trepidation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

gimli2112 wrote:
    He had a major falling out with the management in the Summer (maybe before this), they wanted to sell him. He's been a thorn in their side ever since. I imagine his managers looked at him the same way mine do with me, with trepidation

Thin line between awe and trepidation, I've always found. Hang in there brother.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[Cat Radio] : Barcelona had agreed a 6-month loan (+ option to buy) deal for ex-Villarreal striker Cédric Bakambu. The player, after grabbing the first of two flights, was told Barça had pulled the plug as he was waiting to board the second one.

https://twitter.com/Bakambu17/status/1222981767990214656?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Not recalling Coutinho from his loan deal speak volumes about what Barca think of him especially after Munich have made it know they won't be signing him permanently next summer as they are not impressed with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Not recalling Coutinho from his loan deal speak volumes about what Barca think of him especially after Munich have made it know they won't be signing him permanently next summer as they are not impressed with him.

I think it's more that he's overpriced, I'd take him back in a heartbeat but not for 100m+ and his new wage structure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I imagine the call back clauses in that contract would be huge for a player of that profile and wages. I don't think he'd solve the issues they are having anyway. Nice player to have, but they need a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Talk of Utd buying Josh King now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Talk of Utd buying Josh King now

Having such a good season too! :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Times are reporting that Spurs have made a breakthrough in signing Bale today, and Sky reporting we've agreed a deal with Chelsea for Giroud.

Not sure i'd believe either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Kiith wrote: »
    The Times are reporting that Spurs have made a breakthrough in signing Bale today, and Sky reporting we've agreed a deal with Chelsea for Giroud.

Not sure i'd believe either of them.

I was going to ask if Mourinho had Bale at Madrid but a quick google check confirms he had flounced out a few months before the Welshman arrived. Still think Bale would be a force in the premiership, the wages though how do Spurs square that circle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Think Josh King is a good player better than his stats this suggest.
    Bournemouth have missed him badly since he has been out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bournemouth keeping Josh King as their own replacement striker target has joined West Ham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ole has said he doesn't expect any other business done when asked about King
    "I don't think we'll do any more business, no," Solskjaer said. "I don't think so."

Put to the Norwegian that he had said on Wednesday that he wanted someone that would be willing to get hurt to score, he said: "Anthony (Martial) and Marcus (Rashford) can break their nose as well. As I've said, January has always been difficult and it's not just something you do like that."

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MD1990 wrote: »
    Think Josh King is a good player better than his stats this suggest.
    Bournemouth have missed him badly since he has been out.

He's a bang average footballer,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'd be fascinated to see how King, Wilson, Fraser etc get on outside Bournemouth.

With momentum, they look good but when the going gets tough, they often go long spells without picking up points.

Would be interested to see if you put King or Wilson into a top side, for example, would they take the step up and keep the momentum going or would they slip down and be outshone by everyone around them?

I don't anticipate any of them going to the top Fwiw. If Bournemouth go down, Wilson or King will be the big statement signing for Villa or Palace or someone, I would think.

I'd be fascinated to see how King, Wilson, Fraser etc get on outside Bournemouth.

With momentum, they look good but when the going gets tough, they often go long spells without picking up points.

Would be interested to see if you put King or Wilson into a top side, for example, would they take the step up and keep the momentum going or would they slip down and be outshone by everyone around them?

I don't anticipate any of them going to the top Fwiw. If Bournemouth go down, Wilson or King will be the big statement signing for Villa or Palace or someone, I would think.

Wilson and King will be 28 next season , can't see them making a dent at any top club ,
    There both just average strikers I think your spot on by claiming teams like Villa or Palace would be after them , They would be decent for anyone outside the top 6 ,

Always thought Newcastle should go after Wilson , he'd even be decent for Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He averaged 12 PL goals a season in the 3 before this one. While not being the main goalscorer in his team. He's a very good player.

Mings & Mousett look like different players after they left anyway. Fraser is nearly 26 & a club like Bournemouth are about his level.
    After seeing him for 5 minutes Jermaine Beckford seems so flustered he would be frazzled if you asked him what his name is; not sure if he's freezing in front of the camera or thick.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    He averaged 12 PL goals a season in the 3 before this one. While not being the main goalscorer in his team. He's a very good player.[/QUOTE

He's got 6 , 16 , 8 ,12 , 3 ( currently ) in his four Prem season ,
    I think he's decent

But none of the big sides would go near him Liverpool ,City, Spurs, Chelsea , Arsenal , even Leicester

If it was the summer United wouldn't be any where interested ,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kind of puts him ahead of what we have as back up right now then, which is....nothing.

We have a front three of Martial, James and Greenwood. If any get hurt, we have no replacements. So even a short term "bang average" striker would be an improvement now, if even just to be a bench player till Rashford comes back.

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1223208064087732225?s=19

Don't know who he is but he's coming in for around 30 million

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1223307900623425537?s=19

Could you imagine going from the relegation zone of the Championship to living in Milan but it falls through of the structure of the payment.

https://twitter.com/atletienglish/status/1223217387589316609?s=19

He finally got out of China (on loan) & back to Atletico but you'd have to ask why he went there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1223307900623425537?s=19

Could you imagine going from the relegation zone of the Championship to living in Milan but it falls through of the structure of the payment.

https://twitter.com/atletienglish/status/1223217387589316609?s=19

He finally got out of China (on loan) & back to Atletico but you'd have to ask why he went there.

Money I presume?

• Advertisement

Barcelona are lucky that they have La Masia because I don't think there's a club in the world that are worse in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Barcelona are lucky that they have La Masia because I don't think there's a club in the world that are worse in the transfer market.

Ed Woodward says *hold my beer*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Dismayed at the links with Josh King. He is not what's needed at all. And the way Solskjaer is defending the Glazers during this window is nauseating to me.

I would have been happy with Mitrovic if not for the fact he's injured. The other names I've seen linked look either very unrealistic (Werner, Dembele), past-it (Cavani, Rondon, Tevez) or plain trash (Ighalo). Don't know why they didn't consider a move for Odsonne Edouard.

Think United done f*cked up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

jarrod bowen killing it for me with leicester in FM 2020, bit injury prone though. excited to see him now in real life.

wonder how many clubs use FM instead of scouts, or for an initial screening process and then send over the scouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

jarrod bowen killing it for me with leicester in FM 2020, bit injury prone though. excited to see him now in real life.

wonder how many clubs use FM instead of scouts, or for an initial screening process and then send over the scouts?

Thatd be pitiful for a pl club. Especially if chasing a player like Bowen.

Surprised any tedms near bottom of the league didnt try for some brentford forwards

This is it wrote: »
    Money I presume?

Go to the Premier League then as he's been trying to leave there the last 3 windows so obviously the money aspect dried up fast for him.

What good players have came through there the last few years tho?

The last good players who became regulars, Pedro & Busquets are more or less over the hill now. A few have left there made more of themselves than if they stayed like Adama Traore & Dani Olmo have made something of themselves. The Barca way the last few years is getting in players and making them worse almost instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Fairly calm deadline day to be fair.

Does anyone remember the year one lad was posting every hour for 24 hours?

Think he was having a can an hour too?

The purple dildo killed it really

Mushy wrote: »
    Thatd be pitiful for a pl club. Especially if chasing a player like Bowen.

Surprised any tedms near bottom of the league didnt try for some brentford forwards

its actually a real thing as it turns out...

In 2008, Everton FC signed a deal with Sports Interactive allowing them to use the game's database to scout players and opposition.[7]

n November 2012, Azerbaijani student Vugar Huseynzade was promoted to manager of FC Baku’s reserve team based on his success in Football Manager.

In the 2000s, an anonymous player of Football Manager has tipped the Philippine Football Federation regarding the eligibility of Phil and James Younghusband to play for the Philippines men's national football team through the video game. In 2005, the brothers who were then part of the Chelsea youth program were successfully called up to the national team. Phil Younghusband would later become the top goalscorer for the Philippines with at least 50 goals credited to his name

i think its mad. i remember years ago you could sign ronaldinho from gremio and he turned into a world beater. they get it wrong more often i presume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ighalwho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Looks like Man Utd are signing Ighalo .

Bizarre move.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Looks like Man Utd are signing Ighalo .

Bizarre move.

to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ighalo has the choice between united or the corona virus and it still took him until the last second to make his mind up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I despair. Reportedly they're going to pay Ighalo 100k a week, more than Bruno Fernandes will be on.

Incredulous that it has come to this and yet no sense of uproar or outrage. I grew up watching Hughes, Cantona, Cole, Yorke. Went on to see the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Berbatov, Rooney, Van Persie.

Now watching United scrambling with a last minute bid for Ighalo, a chap who scored 1 goal in 18 games in his most recent Premier League season.

Think this may be the lowest moment I've felt in all the years I've supported the club. I can't even believe a new coach can turn this around if this is now the level. And whereas Madrid or Bayern fans would be up in arms about a situation like this, I'm seeing plenty of United fans being positive about it. About Ighalo. Managed by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. This is the level now. I can't even get mad about it. United's own fans cheering as the empire crumbles all around them and they can't even see it. Just one more window, his pundit mates will continue to urge, as the club slides further away from its historic rivals. There's no hope.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

:rolleyes:

Excellent point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Roy Keane thinks he deserves another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

I despair. Reportedly they're going to pay Ighalo 100k a week, more than Bruno Fernandes will be on.

Incredulous that it has come to this and yet no sense of uproar or outrage. I grew up watching Hughes, Cantona, Cole, Yorke. Went on to see the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Berbatov, Rooney, Van Persie.

Now watching United scrambling with a last minute bid for Ighalo, a chap who scored 1 goal in 18 games in his most recent Premier League season.

Think this may be the lowest moment I've felt in all the years I've supported the club. I can't even believe a new coach can turn this around if this is now the level. And whereas Madrid or Bayern fans would be up in arms about a situation like this, I'm seeing plenty of United fans being positive about it. About Ighalo. Managed by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. This is the level now. I can't even get mad about it. United's own fans cheering as the empire crumbles all around them and they can't even see it. Just one more window, his pundit mates will continue to urge, as the club slides further away from its historic rivals. There's no hope.

The equivalent of Liverpools Ricky Lambert moment.

Yep it's official United have turned into Liverpool of 6 or 7 years ago scrambling around to find anyone half decent to join on deadline day,
    Its glorious to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yep it's official United have turned into Liverpool of 6 or 7 years ago scrambling around to find anyone half decent to join on deadline day,
    Its glorious to see

Why everything has to be about Liverpool on some way I'll never know...

Advertisement