Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this the meat bargain of the year!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

My local Lidl had about 20 steaks for €2 each at 9.10am when I was in there first.
    Probably store specific as said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's no real logic to the times or prices regarding this so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭bmc58

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed the word "Formed" on them and gave them a miss! Worth paying the extra euro for something that hasn't been scraped out of a machine.

Any meat item with "Formed" on the pack should be avoided.They use some sort of glue to stick the cast off pieces of meat together.Avoid Ham,chicken,beef,pork with "Formed" on the pack.I's low grade sh@te.Pay an extra € for some proper meat.It won't break you.

"Gone off" is a bit of a strong term. "Use by the 7th" will have a few days built in so it'll be perfectly alright till the 9th or 10th and perhaps longer.

Remember the scandal a few years ago where supermarkets were repackaging chicken at its use by date into new packaging with a new use by date?

Let your nose be the judge of the use by date.

Agree,your nose is the best judge.

lalababa wrote: »
    Yeah let your nose & eyes be the judge. ��
    Imagine eating smelly rancid chicken just because it WAS in date!

Anyone with a modicum of a sense of smell would smell a chicken piece that was gone off? It's disgusting and only fit for the bin.

This has been going on in my local Lidl for a few weeks now. When I say "local", I mean it's about 50 metres from my front door.

90 cent trout. 90 cent sushi. Boxes of lamb mince and chicken breasts for 90 cent. Sliced chicken, turkey, and ham packs for 20 cent. Chocolate cream dessert yokes for 20 cent... You get the picture.

I spend my evenings pacing around Lidl waiting for the staff to wheel the little cart of discounted stuff up to the fridges, and thinking about meat... Like some sort of vulture person. Nothing will fit in the freezer anymore, not even steak. 20 cent cream it was, yesterday. Not meat. Is cream a vegetable? Who knows?

All I know is meat.

Sushi near expiry date.Must be a no no.You must spent a lot of time in the jacks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

bmc58 wrote: »
    Sushi near expiry date.Must be a no no.You must spent a lot of time in the jacks .

No, but the staff seem to be putting more vegetables and yoghurt and stuff in the special area, so I might be using the jacks some time this week. Garlic bread is a vegetable, right? The sushi was not expired when I got it, you said yourself "near expiry date", so it was still fresh. :D

Got more trout tonight! And 20c garlic ciabattas! And more cream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Fish and poultry from a supermarket one day from the expiry date? Thanks, but no thanks.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing
    What’s the expiry date of fish in a fishmonger or chicken in a butcher ?
    No idea, my local butcher sells no prepackaged food and have never sold me anything going bad. They do charge a premium though. I do buy meat in supermarkets, but seafood and poultry needs to be far from expiry - have had enough of sulfur stench or chicken slime as thick as egg white that have to be taken right outside because of the stench and that from packages labelled to expire e.g. in 2 days. Not saying it's always the case, but too often in my experience.

• Advertisement

I certainly don't mind other people buying it, if that's their choice. But when on a tight budget, I find it's still better to buy discounted beef or anything else that is just past its prime quality and doesn't reek and run full of bacteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I certainly don't mind other people buying it, if that's their choice. But when on a tight budget, I find it's still better to buy discounted beef or anything else that is just past its prime quality and doesn't reek and run full of bacteria.
    All fresh so far...
    No idea, my local butcher sells no prepackaged food and have never sold me anything going bad. They do charge a premium though. I do buy meat in supermarkets, but seafood and poultry needs to be far from expiry - have had enough of sulfur stench or chicken slime as thick as egg white that have to be taken right outside because of the stench and that from packages labelled to expire e.g. in 2 days. Not saying it's always the case, but too often in my experience.

In fairness, the Lidl I use at the moment seems really good about this, but I have had issues with other supermarkets, especially with milk and lamb. Not necessarily with discounted products either. Milk going bad two or three days before the date on the carton made me stop using one chain's "own brand" for milk altogether.

For anything I can see through a packet I exercise judgement, and I won't eat anything that smells off, so I don't see these things as any different to the rest of the food that is in date by a few days. If there were no discounts, and the meats were just left on the shelves until their dates ran out, people who don't look at the dates wouldn't notice. And there are plenty of people who don't look at the dates and assume that the supermarket takes care of everything for them.

That's the thing - you can recognise beef going bad, but IMO it's more difficult with chicken and very difficult with fish, the way they are packaged in supermarkets that is. I had the same gripe about milk as you, then found that the organic versions they now sell almost everywhere somehow tend to hold better, often still good after the expiry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭matchthis

0Aklzp-kLxmZdVZO7.png

No, but the staff seem to be putting more vegetables and yoghurt and stuff in the special area, so I might be using the jacks some time this week. Garlic bread is a vegetable, right? The sushi was not expired when I got it, you said yourself "near expiry date", so it was still fresh. :D

Got more trout tonight! And 20c garlic ciabattas! And more cream!

You're a glutton for punishment.Anything with garlic in it is a no no for me.

Advertisement