Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't they enforce parking on William Street?

• 06-12-2019 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

Why is this still happening? Most of the time it's down to a single lane as people think that putting on their hazard lights is an excuse to park anywhere. And then you have people walking out from behind the parked cars. William Street is a **** show..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It's every street in Limerick unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My theory is that a lot of the perpetrators are complete scumbags, so the traffic wardens choose their battles.
    There’s a domino effect where cars park in the loading bays, so the vans and trucks have to unload while parked on the street

Traffic laws are very poorly enforced in the city centre too. I drive through it twice a day and will routinely see at lease 6 cases of drivers going through red lights. I’ve seen a car drive through a pedestrian crossing where a Garda was trying to cross the road. Garda cars regularly block the inside lane of Henry Street, so if you’re coming from Glentworth St, turning right at Gardens International to go onto the quays via Cecil St, you can’t get through. This also hampers the buses that are trying to pull into the bus stop down the road, meaning they’ll sit in the yellow box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Maybe report it to the Guards? This was done recently in Thomondgate as regards parking, it was a European rugby night, the guards did a blitz, anybody illegally parked got a ticket, father in law got one for 2 wheels on the pavement outside his own house, €40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe report it to the Guards? This was done recently in Thomondgate as regards parking, it was a European rugby night, the guards did a blitz, anybody illegally parked got a ticket, father in law got one for 2 wheels on the pavement outside his own house, €40

You should see the Ennis road outbound/inbound from Ivans to Coonagh. Both sides of the road completely blocked cycle lanes and bus lanes. Madness and that's with Traffic Corps standing/parked at Ivans with the road closed off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

He doesnt own the pavement outside his own house though, parked on the pavement, there's no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Luigi's on Parnell Street beats all. Parked 2 and 3 deep with flashers on when getting chips. Cars should be impounded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Luigi's on Parnell Street beats all. Parked 2 and 3 deep with flashers on when getting chips. Cars should be impounded

First place I think of when I think of abandoned cars in limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They won't be able to do that anymore with the new wider footpaths (although it probably won't stop them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Mc Love wrote: »
    He doesnt own the pavement outside his own house though, parked on the pavement, there's no excuse.

I’m well aware, point is though that lots of people park that way outside of their homes & nothing happens until someone reports it, maybe someone with a buggy or wheelchair user for example if enough people reported an issue on william st, guards may take action otherwise nothing will happen for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My theory is that a lot of the perpetrators are complete scumbags, so the traffic wardens choose their battles.

Further up William St than the OP's photo......DEFINITELY. Anytime. Anyday. I'm thinking of getting a White Passat with tinted glass myself. Just leave a small child standing on the front seat, engine running etc.
    Then I'll park anywhere I damn well please :D:D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

To be fair it's a Wassat as in Waaaahhhh - sat. Had a Passat before and traded it in and saw it a few weeks later coming out of a "site" and it had lots of stuff stuck to it and had quickly become a Wassat :D

Speaking of parking, tomorrow might be fun on the Clonmacken road by Brookville. They haven't yet replaced the double yellow lines are resurfacing. Unless the Gardai put of bollards then legally it will be a free for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    To be fair it's a Wassat as in Waaaahhhh - sat. Had a Passat before and traded it in and saw it a few weeks later coming out of a "site" and it had lots of stuff stuck to it and had quickly become a Wassat :D

Speaking of parking, tomorrow might be fun on the Clonmacken road by Brookville. They haven't yet replaced the double yellow lines are resurfacing. Unless the Gardai put of bollards then legally it will be a free for all.

For a lot of Bookeville Ave it has or at least had a continuous white line down the centre of the road - parking opposite a continuous white line is an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cav93

I've been delivering to Luigi's for the last 2 years, I'd say I've got in the loading Bay 10 times in that 2 years, with 9 times out of 10 it's a car that's sitting in one of the 2 loading spaces right outside, which leaves no alternative but to double park, but I used to always do it so either of the inside cars could get out. But now with all the changes I don't understand it, seem to be doing away with parking spaces altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

There is an account on Twitter which highlights these issues and is definitely worth a follow. @LKBlockers

Charting Limerick's cluttered footpaths and its effect on visually/mobility impaired people, young/older families.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

The Guards do it themselves - I saw them last week running in getting their chips from Enzo's on William street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Could there be a way of having higher fines when double parked on main artery roads or in loading bays on those roads? Double parking on o connell street, Parnell Street, William Street, Roche's street, henry street. Immediate €200 fine, no exceptions. It would stop people fairly quick if a lot were caught. If they did a blitz for a month solid and it was reported in the papers I could see it drying up fairly lively. A few hundred people having to pay €200 fines would solve the issue. I'd bet a lot are repeat offenders.

The new cycle lanes are a waste of time on Parnell st and Wickham st. Already cars are using them as parking spots. The one right outside the station has been transformed into a set down area by cars. They removed the bus stop that was put there last year that people used for dropping and collecting and have just pushed those cars into the cycle lane.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Could there be a way of having higher fines when double parked on main artery roads or in loading bays on those roads? Double parking on o connell street, Parnell Street, William Street, Roche's street, henry street. Immediate €200 fine, no exceptions. It would stop people fairly quick if a lot were caught. If they did a blitz for a month solid and it was reported in the papers I could see it drying up fairly lively. A few hundred people having to pay €200 fines would solve the issue. I'd bet a lot are repeat offenders.

The new cycle lanes are a waste of time on Parnell st and Wickham st. Already cars are using them as parking spots. The one right outside the station has been transformed into a set down area by cars. They removed the bus stop that was put there last year that people used for dropping and collecting and have just pushed those cars into the cycle lane.

That is why they need segregated cycle lanes, but the designers chose to put the cycle lane outside of the parked cars rather than inside, which was madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They don't build these lanes for the love of cyclists per se.

They build them because of euro funding and the attached stipulations supposedly. This was so with the Condell Rd. anyway. They couldn't care less about enforcement in the future. Just ticking a box to get them built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Jesus lads I used the cycle lane on Wickham street today. You'd need a mountain bike on it the finish is so bad. It's like a cycle lane that been there for years and has started to deteriorate. Whoever put it down should be made come back and re-do it. Does anyone inspect these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Been happening for years and no-one cares apart from at xmas time it seems.

@_BadParking_ on twitter has been highlighting this issue or years and the usual response is mind your own business :confused:

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    Jesus lads I used the cycle lane on Wickham street today. You'd need a mountain bike on it the finish is so bad. It's like a cycle lane that been there for years and has started to deteriorate. Whoever put it down should be made come back and re-do it. Does anyone inspect these things?

Thats weird because I saw them rolling it properly and not just with rakes like they usually do

Advertisement