Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences of having or refusing an elective C section due to baby size?

Options
  • 06-12-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I’m 36 weeks pregnant and this is my first pregnancy. At 35 weeks I had a growth scan because the baby looked a bit big on a regular scan, and the measurements were very large (above 95th percentile for basically everything). The estimated weight at the time was 8lb 8oz, and I was told that the baby could be as big as 11lbs at 40 weeks. Because of this the consultant is pushing for an elective C section at 39 weeks. I’ve to get another growth scan next week, but they seemed to be heavily suggesting that the C section would be essential. The thing is, I don’t really want a C section. I’d have one if it was medically necessary, but I just don’t know if I trust the growth scan. I don’t have any of the usual risk factors that contribute to a large baby - I don’t have gestational diabetes (they made me get the test twice because of the baby’s size), my pre-pregnancy BMI was healthy, I’m under 35, the baby is a girl, and I’ve also only gained around 24 lbs and been very active during my pregnancy. My bump isn’t very big at all. I just really don’t want to agree to a C section only to find it was not necessary. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and what the outcome was? I’d also like to hear how accurate people found their growth scans in late pregnancy to be! Sorry this is so long, I’m just completely stressed out by it all and finding it hard to eat or sleep due to the worry.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would ask when the absolute decision has to be made.
    I am the other side of the coin.My third baby, my consultant was seeing something in the size all along but was not 100%sure, eventually concluded that it would be a 'bit bigger' than my others but maybe by 1/2 lb (so would be 8.5-9lbs.fine.).
    Last appointment at 41 weeks, I went into labour that night.Totally different consultant, scanned, said 7-8lb baby.Fine.
    Baby boy delivered next morning, was 10lb 6ozs.2.5 lbs heavier than my second, just about 3 lbs heavier than my first.
    I will put it this way.I would be quite sceptical of the growth scans, but I would really not like to be pushing out a 10lb baby on my first.I went in in blissful ignorance, which was better.Just assumed, I have done it twice before, same as then.It did strike me during it that it was a lot more intense and a wee bit longer than expected for a third (based on previous 2 labour times), but I didn't know at the time what the size would be.(I had no epidural so could feel it).It absolutely can be done, he did very little damage thanks to two great midwives, it was tough enough.If I was you, I would suggest holding off for another 2 weeks before the final decision, and maybe seeing could you get a second pair of eyes on it...just in case.I feel your dilemma though, it is a tricky decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

If I was expecting a 10lb baby and was offered a C section I'd grab it with both hands. I know 2 friends with big babies who were made to push it out despite asking for section. Didn't end well for either. I went private so I could have a section whatever the weight so maybe I'm biased. My experience of section was 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

maxsmum wrote: »
    If I was expecting a 10lb baby and was offered a C section I'd grab it with both hands. I know 2 friends with big babies who were made to push it out despite asking for section. Didn't end well for either. I went private so I could have a section whatever the weight so maybe I'm biased. My experience of section was 10/10.

To be fair, it depends totally on the shape and size of the OP too though. I had a 10lb 4oz baby and it was a very easy delivery - that said, he was my third so the path was well travelled (my subsequent smaller baby actually practically fell out). I was a 10lb baby myself though, and have continued along those centiles, so I have a fine pair of childbearing hips!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Why are they pushing for a section and not an induction? My baby measured at 7lb at my 34 week growth scan (I had GD). The sonographer made an off the cuff remark about how if the baby kept growing at the same rate, I wouldn't fit her out. This terrified me. I mentioned it to my consultant and she was visibly annoyed. She said a section was the absolute last resort and wouldn't be done for a "big baby" but would be considered if there was an issue with larger shoulders or something. You are always within your rights to ask for a second or third opinion. My little one was born after induction at 38 weeks at 9lb 2oz. Scans are often wrong though, I was told my son was measuring 8lb 8oz and he was born a week later at 7lb 13oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SaraKatie90

I am fully private but I don’t want a caesarean because it’s a much more difficult recovery and I want to be able to lift and look after my baby afterwards. I’m worried about the impact on myself physically and psychologically, and also about the risks it poses for the baby. I want to breastfeed and I’m worried it would affect that. I’m also really stressed about making such a big decision based on a growth scan alone, when by all accounts they are highly inaccurate. I just really don’t trust it when I’ve no other indications that would cause a large baby.

As I’m private I’m not sure if I can get a second opinion (or not without paying for it), and I’m already paying 4k to be private and €130 a pop for the growth scans so I can’t really afford to pay to see another consultant. Maybe I shouldn’t have gone private, but as a nervous ftm I decided to...

I don’t know if it makes any difference but I’m 5ft 8’ and fairly strong/athletic. The consultant said she wouldn’t go with induction because I’d be even less likely to be able to push a larger baby out, because the contractions aren’t as strong, so it would probably end in intervention anyway, but I don’t know.

I’m just a complete mess over this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You have the absolute right to decide how you give birth. No one can make you have a section.
    I had a c section on my first for medical reasons, and then two subsequent sections which were my choice.
    Fed all three myself too. Bottle feeding is a pain. Breastfeeding so handy after section, lie down and feed and relax and recover.
    My husband did take time off with each birth for support but I was relatively mobile after a week.
    I also went private and you can of course ask for a second option. No doctor would refuse this. If they insist on more growth scans that should not be an extra cost.

Breastfed, lifted and minded baby no bother after section. Not sure why people think you can't. So if it comes to it at least you know that's a myth. Baby was feeding within 20 mins of coming out! They give you a cosleeper in hospital if you have a section and by the time you get home you're grand to walk around house etc.

maxsmum wrote: »
    Breastfed, lifted and minded baby no bother after section. Not sure why people think you can't. So if it comes to it at least you know that's a myth. Baby was feeding within 20 mins of coming out! They give you a cosleeper in hospital if you have a section and by the time you get home you're grand to walk around house etc.
    I fed in theatre minutes after birth the third time. There is no difficulty with breastfeeding. Take all the meds and move ASAP after surgery. I know way more people who had complications after vaginal delivery vs none who had difficulty post section.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

I had elective section on my first almost 10lb baby-was pushed by consultant as head hadn’t engaged at 41 weeks and the size! I’m quite short so my bump was huuuuge. I breastfed no problem and recovery was fine especially after the 1st two days. Every delivery and recovery is different-I know people who had vaginal deliveries who were still struggling a year after delivery and others who walked out no bother.
    ended up in a section for failure to progress on the next one-this baba was even bigger-again breastfed no problem and good recovery.
    I totally understand the fear of the section-I bawled when my consultant suggested it, but honestly it’s not that bad and recovery might be easier in the long run than pushing out a big baby-but again may not. I would say don’t fear it though-a planned section is much calmer than a crash section.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

If no gestational Diabetes. The estimated fetal weight is irrelevant, keep in mind there is a 10-15% error rate with USS. If EFW is over 5kg they will offer CS as per the guideline. However, it is an offer not an order.

Ultimately you have the decision as to the mode of delivery.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    I know way more people who had complications after vaginal delivery vs none who had difficulty post section.

Me too sadly. Elective section is a lovely procedure. I think maybe some of the emergency ones and the stress that goes with that lead to the scaremongering. So please don't be put off OP.

The worst of all worlds is going through an emergency section after 24 hours or more of labour. All that hassle only to have the massive shock of an emergency theatre dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I'd take centiles in scans with a pinch of salt. I was driven demented about baby not growing with my first and placenta playing prematurely. Baby was born a week early and small enough 6 pounds 7 ounces but nothing to worry about.

With my second again, baby is tiny blah blah but because the first one was small it was suddenly not a big deal. Lo and behold baby makes an appearance (also a week early) and weighed 8 pounds and 7 ounces and measured 21.6 inches. And they do say that there is a margin of error.

In saying that, I have very narrow hips but never had a problems giving birth, the body adapts! My labours tend to be quick too.

My brother in law was over 12 pounds, his mother is 5ft and very very slim. He was her first and no issues whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Hi OP
    Why not trust your Consultant that based on her read of your scans, her vast experience of births & her wanting the safest healthiest birth for you she makes her recommendation.

They can't know 100%, which is unfortunate & maybe this doesn't match your imagined plan but that's OK, plans can change.

We had something similar with baby #1. Went with the C. Wife made excellent recovery. They made "delivery" as good experience as could be for parents including gender unveil.
    Mum breastfed from start.
    Baby & mum thrived.

Wouldn't change a thing & trusted the hugely experienced respected Consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Check out the evidence based birth website. I found their articles good when my consultant was talking about early induction due to my age.

A quote from the article says that "...research has consistently shown that the care provider’s perception that a baby is big can be more harmful than an actual big baby by itself"

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

My second baby was 9lb 14'. The size was never picked up in the growth scans. Gave birth leaning over the back of the hospital bed and had a small first degree tear the same place as from my first baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

ste wrote: »
    Hi OP
    Why not trust your Consultant that based on her read of your scans, her vast experience of births & her wanting the safest healthiest birth for you she makes her recommendation.

They can't know 100%, which is unfortunate & maybe this doesn't match your imagined plan but that's OK, plans can change.

We had something similar with baby #1. Went with the C. Wife made excellent recovery. They made "delivery" as good experience as could be for parents including gender unveil.
    Baby & mum thrived.

This. Why are you paying all that money for the benefit of their experience if you dont trust them. Continue with the growth scans and seriously take on board what your doctor says. They are the experts here

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Am currently 4 weeks recovery post elective section - I have been out and about quite a good bit. You are quite mobile within 3/4 days. It was a lovely experience I have to say - I was a ftm too and baby was breech. The recovery is not an issue if you go into it with a positive attitude and get up and moving about as soon as you can. I was able to look after my baby from that evening once the spinal block wore off. Again echoing other posters I know people who have had trouble recovering from vaginal births and those who ended up in emergency sections after a day or 2 in labour exhausted which was a more stressful experience.

Trust your own feelings/ gut about what’s best for you but do question the consultant as to why they are strongly recommending this and if you can agree another plan that both of you are happy with. Again though take into account they are the expert and you are paying for precisely this advice at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Tbh, Id agree with the last few posts. You paid the money to go private because you wanted someone’s expert guidance. I’d be inclined to trust in it unless you’ve got a reason to doubt it.
    At your next appointment go in with a list of questions, and have a good chat with the consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SaraKatie90

Hi OP

Baby & mum thrived.

You are probably right, and that’s my husbsnd’s attitude, but it’s easier to say when it isn’t your body, and I have quite a lot of distrust for women’s healthcare in Ireland in general.

You are probably right, and that’s my husbsnd’s attitude, but it’s easier to say when it isn’t your body, and I have quite a lot of distrust for women’s healthcare in Ireland in general.

The most important person to trust is yourself.
    Knowledge is power...
    Go with what you feel is right.

I had a natural first. Small baby_prem
    An emergency second. 9lb 9oz.
    And an elective
    Recovery fine for the sections but it's a major surgery.
    Breastfed all for 7months plus..
    My last babies all were on the 98th centile, and I wouldn't fancy labouring them then having a section. The emergency one was a major shock on the body. But I was young...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

Hi OP

Baby & mum thrived.

Totally agree with this.
    Your consultant has far more insight into your baby than us strangers on the internet do.
    Ok so there is a chance they’re wrong and after the birth, you have a 7lb baby who you could have birthed naturally.
    But so what? Once you have that baby in your arms you’re unlikely to care.
    Yes recovery is tough with a section but it can be very tough after a natural birth too.
    I would be going with ‘better safe than sorry’ train of thought and listening to my consultant.
    Best of luck! x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Although I haven't had one, I gather the elective section is not a bad experience OP, and you can ask for certain.things.Don't worry about the breastfeeding.I know plenty of people who have had sections, and breastfed for months.

Experience or not, I would be sceptical of growth scans myself (and I was before my own experience too).I would 100% be on the side of natural birth, upright is absolutely best,and that it can be done.

Definitely go in and have a good chat with your consultant.Lay all your cards out on the table, including the one about trusting growth scans.Ask her what she is seeing.My last consultant went into quite a bit of detail while doing each of my scans, and maybe when you know more it might help you make the decision.Personally in hindisght I would love to know more about what she saw on my lad-she always asked the size of my other two, so obviously something was not sitting right with her.He must have been curled up in a certain way or something towards the end.There were no markers for GD or anything either.

If the consultant is fairly sure on the size, that might help your decision.You can choose your birth,but it's ok to choose the csection.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I wouldn't be worrying at all about a section. I have had an emergency and elective section. The emergency section by it's nature is a little stressful but I recovered so quickly. No issues lifting or caring for the baby. Back on my feet in two days, discharged after three days and going for neighbourhood walks after a week. I know a lot of friends who had natutal births and between tears and stitches etc they were off their feet and uncomfortable for longer than me. On the planned section the whole experience was planned, organised and very respectful. Again no issues caring for baby after and I have exclusively breastfed both babies with no issues whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I had a planned section for a different reason and found recovery was quick, I breasted for four months after and I had a second planned section with next baby.

Listen to the doctors and take their advice. Also, bear in mind your due date is around Christmas and your consultant may not be around during the holidays ( if something goes wrong with a natural delivery).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Hi op, I would definitely take your consultant's advice; it is not given without good reason. You may not have a very big baby, but the recovery from a section is pretty straightforward, and in my opinion preferable to the impact of a third or fourth degree perineal tear,(if you do have a vaginal delivery) which can have lifelong consequences. This is rare enough but does happen.

My first baby was delivered by c-section for post dates and high head (unsafe to induce), and was nearly 12lb. Recovery was absolutely fine, barely remember it now, and I breastfed without any difficulty. I also would have loved a normal delivery, but didn't give a hoot after a happy outcome.

I would recommend going with the flow, which really isn't the same as throwing in the towel. Best of luck, and enjoy your baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Those growth scans are notoriously inaccurate.

I had GD and I’m on a Facebook group for women with GD and the amount of them that were told they were have giant babies and ended up with 6-7lb babies is crazy. I’ve also never heard of any woman being offered a section due to a big baby on this Facebook group. Maybe it’s because they are mainly in the UK?

I know plenty of people that had 9lb+ babies naturally and had no issues. A friend of mine had had three babies all between 9 and 11lbs delivered naturally on all of them with no issues. The last one was the biggest and was born at home. She’s petite and size 8. My baby was 8lb12oz and born naturally on her due date, was grand.

At the end of the day it’s up to you and if you don’t want an elective section you can refuse it. Might mean you’ll need an emergency section but this can happen in any case. I don’t understand why they aren’t offering to induce you at 39 weeks instead. Maybe ask about that as an option? I was induced and had a great experience. Just needed 2 gels and baby was out in a few hours. Didn’t need any other interventions. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Hi OP

Baby & mum thrived.

Because consultants are medical practitioners who take a very medical view of birth.

I say that as someone who has had both babies privately. It is still always wise to do your own due diligence so the OP is right to think it through. A midwife with the same level of experience may make a totally different recommendation as they tend to view birth in more natural terms. Consultants serve you best when you are also well informed yourself.

I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to add. You will find lots of stories of women giving birth naturally having been given the same advice on the gentlebirth website, however, the reality is only the good stories are every relayed through that forum. I'd imagine lots of factors come in to play on the day.

The best approach may be to weigh up what you can deal with mentally, would it be preferable to give the natural route a shot and live with an emergency section if it happens knowing you tried or go straight for an elective with a more predictable recovery and outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Also people tend to forget that women's bodies are built for this! Granted there are occasions where medical interventions, including csections, are necessary and life saving measures. But generally speaking, size of baby shouldn't determine how baby is born.

Same goes for those who are told that their hips are too narrow to birth a child naturally...

Least not forget that healthcare professionals are human too, they err and you also don't know how up to date they are. I'm a healthcare professional myself and a lot of the work is done because "this has always been the case". There is a lot of resistance to change and it's hard to keep up with the latest research too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

People are saying it's not always difficult to push out a large baby - that's as may be, but the OP says that ALL measurements are over the 95th percentile, which I assume includes the expected head circumference, which may be where the problem lies. A large baby with a normal head circumference may be an ok birth, however there may be issues with even an overall "normal" sized baby if the head circumference is unusually large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

People are saying it's not always difficult to push out a large baby - that's as may be, but the OP says that ALL measurements are over the 95th percentile, which I assume includes the expected head circumference, which may be where the problem lies. A large baby with a normal head circumference may be an ok birth, however there may be issues with even an overall "normal" sized baby if the head circumference is unusually large.

I think shoulders tend to be the issue in these circumstances, babies head plates are designed to move to allow delivery. They use femur, head and stomach size to asses delivery size. I'm not sure if they ever measure shoulders

Advertisement