Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences of having or refusing an elective C section due to baby size?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

As mentioned by a previous poster, evidencebasedbirth.com is a fantastic resource. Yes, your doctor is experienced but evidence based practice is notoriously lacking in the area of birth and delivery.

Growth scans also become less and less reliable the closer you get to term. It might be worth asking what the range of possible weights for your baby is based on the scans. My understanding is that they may give you a precise weight, but the scan will actually provide them with a range of possible weights. My scan at 40 weeks estimated weight between 7-10lbs (he was 7lbs 15oz)! Also, the likelihood of you having a baby so large given all of the info you provided about yourself seems very low - perhaps you could discuss this further with your doctor too. This link may help https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

TheNibbler wrote: »
    evidence based practice is notoriously lacking in the area of birth and delivery.
    [/url]

I'm pretty sure a Consultant obstetrician is up to date on evidence based obstetrics.
    I know the times of paternalism in medicine are gone but I think OP needs to hear the advice. Pushing for natural delivery when (it sounds like) there's a likelihood could end in emergency section seems ill advised especially by forum posters like us... Not obstetricians.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

maxsmum wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a Consultant obstetrician is up to date on evidence based obstetrics.
    I know the times of paternalism in medicine are gone but I think OP needs to hear the advice. Pushing for natural delivery when (it sounds like) there's a likelihood could end in emergency section seems ill advised especially by forum posters like us... Not obstetricians.
    There's a reason so many obstetricians have their babies by C section. My consultant chose to have all hers that way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It has suddenly struck me that your due date may coincide with your Consultant's christmas holidays also...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

maxsmum wrote: »

I’m not suggesting she push for a vaginal delivery, or that she make a decision based on advice found on an Internet forum. I’m just suggesting that it is important to be an informed advocate for one’s self in medical decision making, especially in an area of medicine with 1) a checkered history of prioritising the health of women during pregnancy and delivery and 2) many complex risks to consider, a number of which will be valued differently by clinician and patient.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    It has suddenly struck me that your due date may coincide with your Consultant's christmas holidays also...
    I think this is a bit of a myth, in Ireland anyway. When I needed an emergency section on my second child my consultant wasn't supposed to be available as she had a weekend away planned but came in to do the section herself and came in again on the Saturday for post op checks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Fair enough.I suppose my only advice to the OP would be to have a frank discussion with your consultant, and discuss all the options available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

If I was the OP I would be very cautious about taking much advice from an internet forum. For every story of a easy labour with a first time 10lb+ baby you can find, there are those who end up having an emergency section after hours of difficult labour (or worse). The people telling you women's bodies are built for giving birth are ignoring the fact that child birth is only as safe as it is today thanks to modern medical interventions.

By all means read up and do some research, but the right person to discuss it with is the consultant you are paying money for. Hopefully they can put your mind to ease and go through their thinking and what other options might be available. Best of luck

Women's bodies are only kind of built for birth. We used to die fairly regularly because of pregnancy and labour and birth. Look at the death rate of women of child bearing age today compared to even 50 years ago.

I started menstruating at 13. I would have had serious complications had I had to give birth at that age. Modern science is great. Interventions during pregnancy and labour and birth are great. If I'd been pregnant with my first child when my granny was having her kids me and baby probably wouldn't have made it due to complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I am fully private but I don’t want a caesarean because it’s a much more difficult recovery and I want to be able to lift and look after my baby afterwards. I’m worried about the impact on myself physically and psychologically, and also about the risks it poses for the baby. I want to breastfeed and I’m worried it would affect that. I’m also really stressed about making such a big decision based on a growth scan alone, when by all accounts they are highly inaccurate. I just really don’t trust it when I’ve no other indications that would cause a large baby.

As I’m private I’m not sure if I can get a second opinion (or not without paying for it), and I’m already paying 4k to be private and €130 a pop for the growth scans so I can’t really afford to pay to see another consultant. Maybe I shouldn’t have gone private, but as a nervous ftm I decided to...

I don’t know if it makes any difference but I’m 5ft 8’ and fairly strong/athletic. The consultant said she wouldn’t go with induction because I’d be even less likely to be able to push a larger baby out, because the contractions aren’t as strong, so it would probably end in intervention anyway, but I don’t know.

I’m just a complete mess over this!

I have two kids, first birth was long, second was an elective c-section. I was 10 years older the second time, fit and well, and quite honestly I recovered more quickly from the c section than the birth. I had to be careful lifting the first week, but was up and about very soon and felt absolutely fine. Breastfeeding was not affected. and was fine too. With my first, it was several weeks before I could walk any distance with out feeling absolutely terrible.

Swings and roundabouts, but c sections are safe procedures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

Personally if I ever have a child I would always always have a section. 3rd and 4th degree tears can have life altering consequences. And recovery from major abdominal surgery in general is not at all what it was - people are encouraged (and are able) to get up and around the next day in most cases. So you should be well able to bond with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I ended up with an emergency c-section on my first after a prolonged and painful labour that went no-where. I'm electing to have a c-section this time around as I am not going through that again. I recovered very quickly after my first c-section. I was fitter than maybe I am now, but I really bounced back. Getting up and about is recommended. I went for short little walks (like around my apartment block) within a few days and gradually built up strength. I also lived on the top floor of an apartment building with no lift. I managed fine. I found a little careful exercise (gentle walking) in the beginning really helped. It also didn't affect my breastfeeding at all and in fact the nurses were amazed at my supply - actually had oversupply for a while. I know another woman who really should have had a c-section but fought it and ended up with very severe tearing which caused a lot of health problems. You will hear a mountain of stories either which way and you can wrap your head in all these what-ifs.

At the end of the day, I think the best advice is as already given above. Discuss openly with your consultant and make a decision based on the evidence you have before you. Can you only make an informed decision based on what you know at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Definitely get a few more growth scans anyway just to make sure. Mine were completely different every week I got them and I had 6 altogether. Ranging from the 20th-99th centile for abdomen, kept going up and down! I’m very surprised you were suggested to get a section just because the baby is looking big on a growth scan.

Advertisement